The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Where do you get English pennies? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rsummer27
View Profile
Loyal user
South Carolina
225 Posts

Profile of rsummer27
I've found a few in coin shops, but it seems stupid to pay two or three dollars for a penny. Where can I buy a whole roll at a reasonable price so that I have some to practice with.
Giggles the Clown buys all of his
supplies at www.madhattermagicshop.com
Super Low Prices on Videos and DVDs!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I get my English Pennies from England.

Seriously, I doubt that you will find a whole roll of English pennies at a reasonable price. If you go to a big coin shop, you will often see a bowl or two of coins that are for sale for 25 cents or 50 cents. This is especially common at coin shows. That bowl is where you want to look for English pennies.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Rsummer27

I have some for sale on my web site

http://www.magicalmystries.com
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Try ebay Some guy has 25 for a buck
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Maestro
View Profile
Special user
802 Posts

Profile of Maestro
I looked at e-bay earlier this morning, but all I could find were people selling high priced single English Pennies for collectors Smile.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I just looked and found lots for cheap. If you ask the seller nicely, they may allow you to get a certain date range.

It's all about communication
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Don't just rely on the internet for your purchases. Sometimes you can find a coin dealer on the net, get his telephone number and call him. Then ask him for what you need.

Here's a tip. First, DON'T use his 800 number for information calls, call him on his regular line. He will appreciate that. Then tell hime the following:

I'm a magician, and I'm looking for some coins to use in my act. They don't have to be perfect, so I don't need anything in MS-67 or above. I need some of the large English pennies from 1967 or before. I'll probably want about 20 or so of them. Australian pennies with the kangaroo on the back and Irish pennies with the harp on the back will work just fine. But I need a bunch of them. I don't want them for collector's pieces. I need them for props. What do you have?

You can also obtain well-worn silver dollars the same way. They call these well-worn coins "culls."

If there is a coin shop anywhere near you, it's worth a trip down there to go through their world coin boxes. They don't generally put their cheap coins in coin holders, because it isn't worth their time or money.

But if you give them a chance, they will see you as a potential customer for things that they generally can't sell to other people.

Incidentally, there are other coins that work well for traditional tricks. Keep your eyes and your mind open.

For example, my sleight of hand version of Scotch and Soda works beautifully with a $20 gold piece, a half dollar and an English penny.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I get mine for 25 cents a piece at the coin shop near me.

pete's find of 25 for a buck sounds reasonable, however.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2003-12-15 13:18, Maestro wrote:
I looked at e-bay earlier this morning, but all I could find were people selling high priced single English Pennies for collectors Smile.

You need to set your search for "English Pennies," not "English Penny."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Alot of the magic websites have English Pennies for sale too.

-Bill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Where do you get English pennies? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL