We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Review Request: Spectacle by Stephen Minch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Xavier
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
209 Posts

Profile of Xavier
Does anyone own this book? It's contributors include:

Tommy Wonder, Daryl, David Roth, Finn Jon, Jonathan Pendragon, Lisa Menna, Rudy Coby, Richard Kaufman, Michael Rubinstein, Jeff McBride, Peter Samelson, Ray Kosby, Bill Goodwin, Jay Sankey, Ray Grismer, David Solomon, Geoff Latta, James Dimmare, Gary Lee Williams, Rick Anderson, David Regal, Paul Cummins, Rocco, Louis Falanga and Mike Montgomery!

Sounds amazing!
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
I recommend it. It has great card and coin material. Daryl's "Elbow, Knee, and Neck" is in here. I've got so much from just that one routine. Geoff Latta's routine is in there, and I don't know of anyplace else that he's published. The book also has a mix of close-up and stage/parlor routines.
Xavier
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
209 Posts

Profile of Xavier
Hey Darrin,

Thanks for your quick reply!If it is not too much trouble could you please describe some of the better stage routines?

Many thanks!

Xavier.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
This book is outstanding and well worth the asking price. Some of the biggest names in magic have contributions here.

BTW--Just to address Darrin's comment about latta's published work; he also has material in Kaufamn's "CoinMagic."
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
academy
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of academy
This book is very good but not for everyone. I really enjoyed "baby face" by David Regal.

Sincerely
Academy
Xavier
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
209 Posts

Profile of Xavier
Sounds like a book of treasures. I can't wait to get this!

Thanks guys!
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
This book is a little source of treasures not known by many. Try it. You'll like it.
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Also the oil and water used by ray kosby is there.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4395 Posts

Profile of Paul
I'm afraid this book didn't become a keeper for me, it ended up in an auction. I thought Kosby's Oil and Water was the best thing in there, though Jennings later adapted that.

It is rare for me to dispose of magic books.

Paul.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
X,

Stage routines include James Dimarre's "Astaire Change" which is the instantaneous and visible colorchange of a silk, and the surprise production of a full-sized cane from the silk. The method is so clever, you'll want to show the audience how it's done. For a while, I used this to end my color changing hank routine.

Also, some very interesting ideas with the long-pour salt trick, without the salt, all based on Rick Anderson's work.

It's an eclectic mix of stage, parlor, and close up material, and a very stimulating read. Tommy Wonder's approach to "Spellbound" is a benchmark that gets referenced quite often when people discuss this effect.

Similarly, Geoff's "From the Elvin Hoard" sets a standard for this sort of routine.

The Kosby material is also commonly referenced, and the book's worth it just for that.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
mattpuglisi
View Profile
Veteran user
Queens, NY
321 Posts

Profile of mattpuglisi
I love this book! Therefore I must misdirect you away from discussing it. . .

Anyone going to the see The Return Of The King tomorrow?
Lack of invention is the mother of necessity - Robert Nozick

Instagram: @matthewthomas00
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Quote:
On 2003-12-16 16:30, mattpuglisi wrote:
I love this book! Therefore I must misdirect you away from discussing it. . .

Anyone going to the see The Return Of The King tomorrow?

Me, we wants to seeeee it, yessss we do my prrrrrecioussssss...
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3912 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Try out the matchbook routine I published in that book. It takes a bit of preparation, but the effect is startling!
First edition of Rubinstein Coin Magic sold out in RECORD TIME, and the supplies of the reprint are dwindling fast! The good news, though, is that I am once again going to reprint the book, so there will be enough for everyone!! As such, and for the last time, I will have a supply of books that I can sign. All come with a free gift until supplies are gone, so first come, first serve! To pre-order, be sure to send me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com. books will be here and ready to ship the last week of September!!
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used on the book.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Agreed. I've been performing Michael's matchbox routine for several years, and it never fails to play strongly.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Review Request: Spectacle by Stephen Minch (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL