The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Pope's extraordinary interview (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19~20~21
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2013-09-26 18:50, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-26 08:40, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-26 06:09, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-25 21:16, acesover wrote:
Not sure what you mean by "paying the price". However we are all born with "original sin". If your not sure what it is just google it. I know what it is and don't have to.

If Adam had NOT disobeyed, how would things be different for us today? Would there not be war, and poverty, and sickness, and disease, and natural disasters? Would we now be living in an earthly "paradise" of some sort?

Ron

You asked and answered your question. No war, no poverty, no sickness, no disease.

Thanks Aces. That's interesting. But you left out natural disasters - what about those?

So in your opinion, if Adam had not disobeyed, then we would all be fortunate to live in a world with no war, no poverty, no sickness, and no disease. But, since we do have to endure all those terrible things, we are all now paying the price for what Adam did, right? Is that how you see it?

And I'd still like to know your thoughts on the free will videos that I posted.

Ron

I agree, and how is this a reflection of an All-Just God, considering that all the saintly souls who lived prior to Jesus' time were condemned to hell and deprived of the vision of God until His coming?

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2013-09-26 19:19, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-26 08:55, acesover wrote:
Let me understand this. You are asking why Islam conflicts with Christianity. You are asking which is correct? Let me ask you this. Which one of those do you subscribe to? Whichever one you pick tell me why that is your choice. If none why are they both wrong?

I assume you know what that verse means. It simply means that they believe Jesus is not the Son of God and therefore they do not believe in the Blessed Trinity. So the only point you brought up is a conflict in two different religious beliefs. I would imagine some people still worship the sun as their god and that sure does not bother me in the least so why should this.

No. I am not asking why Islam conflicts with Christianity. I'd like to understand what process believers use to determine which religion they believe to be the "correct" one, i.e. the one they must abide by in order to make it to Heaven. If beliefs matter, if making it to Heaven depends on accepting Christ as your savior (or not accepting Christ as your savior), then following the "wrong" religion could have dire consequences. Do you agree on this? Or do you think that beliefs don't really matter to God? Remember, not all of the hundreds (actually thousands) of religions could all be right, but they could all be wrong.

PS - Didn't George Carlin do a bit about sun worshippers? Something like, "well at least we KNOW the sun exists"! Smile

Thanks Aces.

Ron

Very rational and interesting line of questioning there Ron Smile

Kam
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2013-09-26 14:32, Dannydoyle wrote:
"You are the only Bible some people are ever going to read." (Favorite point of my fathers.)

As far as I am concerned all the rest of it is just a name above the door. It has nothing to do with what got you where you are and has nothing to do with where you're going.

That is as theological as I get. Pretty simple philosophy. Nice part is it allows for anyone of good character who might not believe exactly as I do to make it into the afterlife.

Very valid philosophy Danny. We've had disagreements in the past, but this post I completely agree with. "Be the Bible" Smile

Kam
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2013-09-28 11:56, mastermindreader wrote:
In an earlier post I mentioned that there were early Christian theologians who believed that truly free will was impossible as long as we were burdened with Original Sin. The idea, I believe, is that until we return to a state of grace, our decisions will be forever governed by our baser natures and, thus, not truly voluntary.

No one here has addressed that directly, but I think it is at least superficially consistent with the genetic component or subconscious aspects of free will.

Great stuff Bob!! Its been nice to find some areas of agreement reading through this thread Smile

The question, I guess, is how does one turn towards a state of grace? What does that involve? A scientific experientialist may wish to explore that concept by turning themselves towards this grace to assess if their baser nature is indeed stilled. Maybe?

Kam
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Pope's extraordinary interview (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19~20~21
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL