The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The best magic trick you've ever seen. (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
Blockhead when I was a kid at Barry's Magic Shop when I was a kid. The magician who was visiting the shop got me to put the nail in his nostril. I couldn't believe it.

Doug Henning dissapearing into a Pharaoh costume on stage.

Invisible deck when I was a kid. I couldn't fall asleep because of it.

Cups and Balls done by a man at the Renaissance festival when I was a kid.

Slydini silks.

David Roth hanging coins.

Tricky Turvy Bottles when I was a kid. I was stunned. Then I bought the trick.

Rising card.

Dean's Box.

Lots more that I can't think of now, but these are tricks that I'll always remember.
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
440 Posts

Profile of robvh
Armando Lucero's matrix routine. In person. Repeatedly. Amazing.
Mercutio01
View Profile
New user
Ocean City, NJ
68 Posts

Profile of Mercutio01
The ones I remember most are a simple coin production from behind my ear when I was four or five, Penn and Teller cups and balls, Teller doing Miser's Dream, and Shawn Farquhar's signed card in a sealed deck (don't remember what he actually calls it). Yann Frisch's "Baltass."

Oh, and just about everything I've seen Ricky Jay do.
~Cameron Mount
Aberdeen1234
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Aberdeen1234
Copperfield "Flying".
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Girl to Gorilla.
MagicMatt93
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of MagicMatt93
David Copperfield's "Cameratrick." I'm still left wondering how he made the camera disappear.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I'm not going to single out one "trick". I will say that I remember just how magical the effects appeared when I acquired the NYCMS Copper Silver DVDs. Just so strong. I was fairly new to coins and learning, so I wasn't aware much of method. Still, the effect is so pretty and magical and that is powerful work, indeed. We need to remember these things.

I'm hoping to work on some of them this term. I've got volume 2 here with me in Res.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
When I was 10 years old, my teen-age next-door neighbor knocked on my door and told me to name a card. I did. He opened up a deck of cards and there was only one card reversed. It was my card. I thought about that for many years afterwards.
drmagico
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of drmagico
First time I saw John Kennedy perform "Translocation"
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
710 Posts

Profile of Vogler
A billiard ball act, from an unknown young magician, without any gimmick, just misdirection.
I saw him in TV when I was eight . When internet came I found who was, Rudi Heuer from Austria.
I still love the routine. It is still good in my eyes.I know that it is not the best thing ever, but I can't forget this first emotion about hand magic and how sleight of hand got into me...
Here is the video, after 45 sec.

http://youtu.be/EU9bo56GcjQ
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3043 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
For me, it was Zombie on TV's "You Asked For It" performed by Aubrey. He was, BTW, a cinematographer with credits including "Rocky," "The Karate Kid," "The China Syndrome," "Night Shift," "The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman," "Baby M," and received an Oscar nomination for "The Formula."
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
doopyloop
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of doopyloop
One of best magic trick I see was magician shuffles deck and asks me to name card. I say card, he turns over top card, and it is right there.

His method is luck. I wanted to hit his face. But he have many jokes if it don't work so its ok. Case #1 trick is funny moment. Card #2 trick is miracle.
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
555 Posts

Profile of Circusman
Not quite the 'Best' trick I've ever seen, but a magician in Scotland announced that on the BBC's six o'clock news, he would levitate a girl 16 Feet into the air.

I waited with bated breath to see what this conman - Oops - magician - friend of mine at the time, was going to do.

Right on cue, this marvelous feat took place.

He did, indeed, levitate the girl 16 feet in the air.

But what he omitted to tell everyone was that the first 12 feet or so, was the roof of a building, on top of which was a Chair Suspension !!! LOL !

So, David Haggerty of Paisley, Scotland, if you're reading this, I give you top marks for ingenuity - You really suckered me !
But, you never took me up on my offer to catch a grenade between your teeth - once I'd pulled the pin out !

Bobby Thomson. (Ex : Dalry.).
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
555 Posts

Profile of Circusman
Just a footnote to my post above (sorry, don't mean to derail this thread) :

If anyone out there knows David Haggerty, perhaps some magic club in Paisley ? Please, Please, Please. convey my warmest regards to him !

David would be in his (possibly mid) 70's now, and was also an actor on BBC T.V. doing bit parts if I remember correctly.

Lovely Guy !

Bobby Thomson (Ex : Dalry.).
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Not necessarily the best trick ever, but my favorite to watch is the death saw bey David Copperfield.
Reality is a real killjoy.
browneyed
View Profile
Regular user
I could've sworn I had more than
104 Posts

Profile of browneyed
The best I have ever been fooled is by the prediction chest. I want to buy one but they're so expensive and hard to find. I wish I had a magic store near where I live.
Aljaz Son
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of Aljaz Son
I am can still remember the awe I felt when I saw The Visitor by Larry Jennings for the first time, OR his Open Travelers.

Pure brilliance.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
One I ponded over a lot when I was a kid was a diversion rather than a trick.

Charlie Miller was doing a Linking Ring routine in which a single rig was placed around his neck fro a moment (over his head) then used again in a link.

Later, repeated but the ring was too small and just sat on his head. Then the ring was used in an effect.

No mention of the magical happening, no hesitation or pause for applause -- just an interlude to heighten anticipation.

I many routines over the years I have always asked self if I can introduce a bit of "unaddressed magic" into the flow of things,
along the lines of "magic happens and is not always controllable."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey Ken!
I was 18, and attending my first IBM Convention in Chicago (1950). John Ramsay was one of the close up performers. He was smoking (??) a cigarette. He would lay it down on the white table cloth. It grew shorter and shorter during his act. IT WAS A PROP. IT WASN'T LIT. HE NEVER DREW ATTENTION TO IT.

I knew Charlie Miller, but, I never saw him do the bit with the ring that you mention. (@#%%!) However, I can picture it in my mind. One of his subtleties!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
After reading down this thread, this may seem ridiculous, but, in 1946, I caught the late ROY SHRIMPLIN's SCHOOL SHOW. Early in the program, he tied a simple, overhand knot in a rope. Then, he slid the knot from one end of the rope to the other, and, finally, off the rope! I was a Boy Scout. I knew my knots! IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE!

After his show,Roy, very kindly, showed me the "work". I have used it SINCE 1946!!! It ALWAYS GETS A "PUZZLED" LAUGH! --and, a nice mitt, too.

A year later, the late Roy Mayer, a long time mentor, and school show magician, told me of working a "military" school in New Jersey. Most military schools are 'army' oriented. This one was "navy". The students SAILED ships. THEY KNEW THEIR KNOTS! In Mayer's program, the "Joe OVETTE REPEAT KNOTS" was the second trick. His audience was STUNNED! HE GOT A STANDING OVATION! He told me, "I really had to pick up the tempo! --I had 43 minutes to go!

I've seen a lot of magicians perform in the last 70 years, but Joe Ovette's little "bit" with a knot on a rope remains a high point!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The best magic trick you've ever seen. (24 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL