The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » How to get an even Patina (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1944 Posts

Profile of Daren
Hi guys
I have recently received my RNT2 Sisti Pro Copper Cups in Mirror Finish, what is the best way to ensure a nice even patina on these cups, they have come highly polished, do I just wash them in warm soapy water to take the polish off and then dry them with a towel, and that's it? I am reluctant to use any kind of vinegar etc on them as don't want them to get damaged?
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Daren--There are a bunch of threads on this in this forum if you search, one very extensive one very recently. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=115 I prefer to let mine patina naturally from use, then I polish them (usually with lemon juice & salt) and start over,
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
834 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Handle them any chance you get
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1150 Posts

Profile of Leo H
I realized that if you stack your cup set when not in use, the two underneath will not patina and remain relatively shiny. When not practicing/performing with your set, leave them on a shelf in a row. It assures that the cups will patina at the same time.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2013-09-21 03:02, Daren wrote:
Hi guys
I have recently received my RNT2 Sisti Pro Copper Cups in Mirror Finish, what is the best way to ensure a nice even patina on these cups, they have come highly polished, do I just wash them in warm soapy water to take the polish off and then dry them with a towel, and that's it? I am reluctant to use any kind of vinegar etc on them as don't want them to get damaged?

Mr Palmer recommends not only a detergent but also a degreaser, in order to clean. RNT2 has a page on their website with more information.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
895 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Here's the advice Donnie Buckley gave me just a short time ago under the thread "Antique Cups". I played around with it a few times and now I have a dark, used color that I enjoy. The heating speeds the process, but handling and exposure to air work their magic eventually anyhow. I like highlighting the beads and rims with NevR-Dull also. In all of this, I don't know if the result is ever "even," as you are asking.

Quote:
On 2013-09-03 20:22, Donnie Buckley wrote:
You can antique a set of copper cups by baking them in your kitchen oven.
Use solid copper cups (not plated), with any clear coat stripped off and no magnets (the heat will kill magnets).
Turn the oven up to as high as the temp goes (usually 500 degrees). Bake for 20 to 30 minutes. Watch them and remove them when the desired color is reached. You will be surprised at the shades of red colors they will transform thru.

Once cooled, you can highlight the cups with some metal polish. Using the cotton wadding like Nev-r-dull gives you fine control over how much of the patina you will remove. Just hit the beads and the high spots for a dramatic antique effect. After you have a finish that appeals to your eye, wax them, or if you can spray a clear coat (like a lacquer for metal) over the cups to seal in the finish.

If you screw it up, or don't like it, just polish the cups back to raw copper and try again.

Alternately, there are other chemical solutions you can use for other antiquing effects.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » How to get an even Patina (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL