The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Suggestions needed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

silverfire9
View Profile
Veteran user
Rochester Hills, MI
323 Posts

Profile of silverfire9
I work part time as an event bartender, and our attire is black pants and shoes with a white tux shirt and bow tie. I would like to incorporate some magic into my service, but some of the effects that I have require stuff I can't use while on the job. Jackets, for example.

Part of what I need is a good way to ditch/store stuff like TTs, D'Lites, coins, etc. I have my pockets, true, but when I've done a trick, there's often a bit of heat on me when I go straight to my pocket. Partly because I don't have a full routine (no time for more than one quick trick, usually), which means I ditch everything at the end of the trick.

Also, I have a vanishing pen effect that requires a jacket or an open overshirt. Obviously, dressed in a tux shirt with no vest, I can't do that one. At the same time, maybe there *is* a way I can do it and I just don't know it yet.

Anyway, any suggestions you have on how I could adapt this attire to help my magic would be greatly appreciated.

Or perhaps I should just be thinking of different tricks to be using altogether. After all, there's plenty of magic that does not require a jacket.
whitelephant
View Profile
New user
Jerusalem
97 Posts

Profile of whitelephant
Can you add a cumberbun? It's a great drop-off.

Furthermore, the back of your collar should hold your TT, and if you have a tray most things can be slipped underneath after use.

My final bit- always remember that if you put alot of thought into something the "audience" will think about it too-so if your right hand has a coin think REALLY hard about the coin in your left.
drink water...
silverfire9
View Profile
Veteran user
Rochester Hills, MI
323 Posts

Profile of silverfire9
I don't think I could get away with a cumberbund, as something like that would probably stand out too much against the other bartenders and staff. I've seen one of the other bartenders wearing a little apron deal, though. Just has a waist strap and goes from waist to bottom of the groin area, and has two or three large-ish pockets. I was thinking that might be good, but I'm not sure what that's called or where to get one.

The back of my collar might be an idea, but it would be the same as ditching it in my waistband, I think. I have no loop on the back of my collar. So I'd have to shove it between the bow tie's strap and the collar or between the collar and my neck. It could work, though, and might be better than the waistband. I tried keeping a TT there while I was working, and it kept falling out when I bent over to lift a box. I had to move it to my back pocket.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I've suggested adding vests to our uniforms, but I'm not sure if that's going to happen or not. It'd be nice. Smile
whitelephant
View Profile
New user
Jerusalem
97 Posts

Profile of whitelephant
Aprons are GREAT! I used one when I waited tables (where my Magic all started) to great end. You can probably get them at a uniform supply house, or resturaunt supply house. Good luck!
drink water...
silverfire9
View Profile
Veteran user
Rochester Hills, MI
323 Posts

Profile of silverfire9
Well, I picked up an apron last night. It has three pockets, all wide enough to fit one and a half card cases on their sides, and deep enough that I can stick my hand in up to my wrist. I'm thinking that I may want to modify the pockets at some point. Add loops near the top for holding thumb tips off the bottom and stuff like that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Suggestions needed (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL