The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Collectors (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Door hangers - like the Do Not Disturb type you find in hotels. I've managed to find them from all over the world.

Since he doesn't post here much, I will share that my buddy Dean Dill, being the barber that he is, collects hair. It's in labeled envelopes and started with Dai Vernon. He's got quite a cool collection from famous magicians and other notable figures that he's trimmed over the years.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-09-22 18:32, Andrew Zuber wrote:

Since he doesn't post here much, I will share that my buddy Dean Dill, being the barber that he is, collects hair. It's in labeled envelopes and started with Dai Vernon. He's got quite a cool collection from famous magicians and other notable figures that he's trimmed over the years.

I didn't know Dean Dill was a barber too! Wow, what a thing to collect, hair! Wow again, as a former fly tying fly fisherman I can think of all kinds of flies to tie and name them after the hair from whom they came from.

Which reminds me, I used to collect flies, all kinds of them. Most I have tied myself, but many have been bought not to fish with, just for their creativeness. Over the years though as I've introduced fly fishing to numerous folks in my family and other friends, I've given away most of them to get the newbies started. Flies have always been expensive, relative to the economy. I've gotten many a fly fisherman off to a good start with a selection of my flies.

Which brings me to another collection: autographs, I have hundreds. When I learned that Jimmy Carter was an avid fly fisherman I sent him a fly box with an assortment of my flies seeking an autographed photo from him. Instead he wrote me a wonderful note thanking me for my gift.

My favorite autograph is Babe Ruth's on a Series 1928 two dollar bill (Tom Boleware will like that) that my father got from him when he was working at a gas station by LaGuardia Airport when the Babe showed up with his driver to get some gas. It was shortly before the Babe died and my father recognized him and asked for his autograph. My father said his voice was rough and raspy and he asked my father if he had something to write it on. All he had was a wad of bills in his pocket and he plucked out a two dollar bill for the Babe to sign. And all my father had was a pencil, so it probably isn't as valuable as it would be if in ink, but still a national treasure's signature is one to behold. I keep it in the safe deposit box, while a scan of it is framed with a picture of the Babe in my game room.

I have lots of other cool autographs too. Back in the nineties, the NY Mets celebrated their 25th anniversary of the '69 series. The NY Daily News sponsored a huge autograph event, getting most of the living members of the team together, including trainers, for a weekend autograph event. I had an official Chub Feeney National League baseball and a NY Mets bat and each one is autographed by the entire team. The only ones of note missing are Gil Hodges and Nolan Ryan. My goal in life is to somehow get Nolan Ryan to autograph the bat and ball. That's a tough one though.

Autographs are so much fun to collect because there's a story behind every one of them, and the history of the person who signed.

But collectors need to be careful of fakes, secretarial signatures and the autopen.

Sorry I got long here. I could go on and on...... Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Wow. Door hangers, hair, flies, moneyboxes...all wonderful collectibles.
I tie my own flies but I fish with them.
I forgot to mention that I really enjoy wind-up toys. I have a very small collection. But it could get really big soon. ( she's barely dealing with my magic books- I'd have to sneak them in!)
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
What a wonderful gift for a little girl! And BARBIE? Now THERE is a female magician! LOL!

Ya know, of all the things I have collected in my life, I should have collected $$$. Just sayin'... Smile
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-09-22 21:53, magicfish wrote:

Don't misunderstand me I fish with them too. I just avoid the 18s and smaller that my sixty-five year-old eyes can't tie on to a 6x tippit anymore, without the help from a guide. Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Door hangers - like the Do Not Disturb type you find in hotels. I've managed to find them from all over the world.

I used to collect barf ERRRRR air sickness bags from airplanes.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-09-23 01:53, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:

I used to collect barf ERRRRR air sickness bags from airplanes.

You must be too young to remember the airlines decks of cards that were available just for the asking. I had a bunch of them but they were just cheap playing cards, mostly bridge size. But I'm betting there are collectors of them out there.

Barf bags? Still, an interesting collection, but I see you stopped collecting them like I stopped collecting the airlines playing cards.

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Surprised no one's mentioned match books. I never collected them, but know folks who do/did.

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-09-22 22:07, Dougini wrote:
What a wonderful gift for a little girl! And BARBIE? Now THERE is a female magician! LOL!

Ya know, of all the things I have collected in my life, I should have collected $$$. Just sayin'... Smile

...and there's this one!

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=lego......ORM=IGRE

I think the rabbit can actually disappear in the Lego box!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2013-09-23 01:34, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-22 21:53, magicfish wrote:

Don't misunderstand me I fish with them too. I just avoid the 18s and smaller that my sixty-five year-old eyes can't tie on to a 6x tippit anymore, without the help from a guide. Smile

I hear ya, Bob.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Wow, Ed! Lego Magician! Ha! Good one! Smile
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I've collected different things at different times in my life. (And even have put things on top of other things! - Points if you get where that is from).

Synthesizers are what I still collect. It makes sense I suppose since I'm also a musician. It's not a cheap hobby but it is fun. The move to the EU however has that on hold. If/when I move back to the US, I'll start again as the prices are MUCH better for vintage synths.

I also collect computer games and classic arcade games. I don't know the exact number, but, I have virtually every computer game for: Commodore 64, VIC-20, Amiga, all versions of Mac, Radio Shack TRS-80, BBC Micro, Atari ST, etc. etc. etc. These are safely tucked away back in America.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Vlad, I built some Paia synths back in the 70s. One was a modular synth (seems like it was a 2700 or 2720, or something like that), and the other was a compact, Mini-Moog-type synth, the name of which escapes me. They were fun to build and to play with.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
For you, Bob1...
Oops, trying to attach a photo of the fish I caught this morning. I'm a terrible computer guy.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Bottle caps are a good collectable. I know a musician Peter Stamphel who collects bottlecaps. My ex wife used to collect pez dispensers: and actually that reminds me: Ebay started as a place to buy and sell pez dispensers.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Anxious to see it! Caught on a fly?

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Brown trout on the fly. Chinook on a spoon with a baitcaster!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Anybody know how to upload pics from gallery on a mobile?
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Marlin1894 put me onto Image Shack a year or so ago as a place to post photos and create urls for them to post in here. If you're just a little computer savvy you can figure it out. Try it.

http://imageshack.us/registration/?error=8

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Collectors (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL