We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » I did not call you "babe" (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
So a lady today, after being told that I was done making balloons, loudly proclaimed "Don't call me babe, I'm not your wife."

I never called her any such thing and got pretty embarrassed. I am guessing she misheard me or something, but it was a very awkward situation. I guess it's also possible she was being manipulative, but regardless of what really happened, do you have any tips for the future in similar circumstances?

Joey D
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20323 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
A punch in the gut and say "sorry hun"?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1077 Posts

Profile of Nash
Well my natural reaction would be a look of puzzlement and said "ahhhh.. I didn't call you that, sorry you have misheard what I said" - if you don't do anything people will assume you did.
If she insists, then you let it drop and tell her to have a good day - anyone can see she was a nutcase but I firmly believe in defending yourself first
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

NashFung.com/virtual-magic-show
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
And you could have also replied "if I had called you babe boy would MY wife have been mad, sorry I think you may have misheard me".

B
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
Good thing you didn't ask her to make you a sandwich.

Josh
Josh
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
654 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Quote:
On 2013-09-21 23:48, JoshLondonMagic wrote:
Good thing you didn't ask her to make you a sandwich.

Josh

http://oldschoolrules.com/2013/06/14/women-sandwiches/
“For centuries we’ve said playing cards – even a single playing card – could reveal a person’s innermost thoughts.
Now you can prove it!”
See http://www.dixonmagic.com/page5/page5.html
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20323 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Never overlook the value of a punch in the gut.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1424 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
On his new DVD, Danny Orleans tells a story of a teacher (I think it was a teacher) saying "Please leave out that one line because it was offensive." When he was doing the Miser's Dream and said, "I'll pull a coin out of your EAR," the teacher and others thought he said "REAR." Danny has since reworked his patter so this didn't happen again.

You might want to revisit what you thought you said and consider changing your patter.

Gerry
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1022 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Quote:
On 2013-09-21 21:18, iwillfoolu wrote:
So a lady today, after being told that I was done making balloons, loudly proclaimed "Don't call me babe, I'm not your wife."

I never called her any such thing and got pretty embarrassed. I am guessing she misheard me or something, but it was a very awkward situation. I guess it's also possible she was being manipulative, but regardless of what really happened, do you have any tips for the future in similar circumstances?

Joey D

Joey, she's crazy. I hope you're not doing a gig for her. She'll make your time miserable.
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
This would have been one of those "wish I had said" moments if it happened to me. I would have WIHS "I'm sorry you must have misunderstood me. I called you a big blue haired ox, but I never would have called you Babe!"
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I would simply say "I apologize for making that mistake please forgive me". Some bit***s want to have total control and I know the drill.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
767 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
A reaction like that makes me wonder a bit. Part of my ability to entertain with magic includes breaking down walls of distrust and building a friendship with the people at the table. This effort begins before I even approach the table and begins with the atmosphere I create before I get there. Before I even perform a trick for them, I'm generally already on my way to having them perceive me as...

1) ...part of the establishment....I work there and am not some stranger hustling for tips.
2) ...someone who is friendly - smile and laugh with them.
3) ...not odd or a social misfit - this is influenced by how I dress, diction, vocabulary, eye contact, self confidence, etc.
4) ...someone who is there to help them enjoy their visit
5) ...not some guy desperate for an audience for his lame trick
6) ...someone who all the other tables seem to enjoy -- as perceived by applause, bursts of laughter, etc.

With all of that said, by the time that I leave the table, they are friends. If they did think that I said something like "Babe", then they'd not be offended.

Of course, there will always be the one person each month or so who's hemorrhoid problems make them uptight with everyone. She was likely that person. However, if a person doesn't warm up to me, then I have to review the above 6 things to see if I've gone wrong somewhere.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Well... was she a "Babe"?
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Bigotry is alive and well.
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2014, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:
Bigotry is alive and well.

Your point?

weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3324 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I just loom at them and say, "Sorry you misunderstood me, but dead girls are more fun."
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Wardy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
193 Posts

Profile of Wardy
Sounds like she was testing you. Next time say " Sorry, you're right, you're not a babe."
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
Quote:
On May 28, 2015, Wardy wrote:
Sounds like she was testing you. Next time say " Sorry, you're right, you're not a babe."

This was my first thought about the story too.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » I did not call you "babe" (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL