The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Starting own magician university club (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MisterLam
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of MisterLam
Hello everybody, I am a student at Ryerson University Toronto. I want to start my own club for Magic since they don't have one yet.

I need some advice on what kind of activities to do, how would I get someone to sponsor, and such for starting a magic club.

Thank you very much
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1282 Posts

Profile of imgic
Back when I was in college the Dorms had a program for students to teach classes on whatever they wanted. You submitted and idea and they approved (or not) the class. Everything from kayaking to various arts and crafts. I did one on magic. Turned into an informal gathering on a regular basis. See if your univeristy has antyhing like that.

Otherwise check with Student Government. In the US, almost every college has a student government set up, and they'll sponsor various clubs...young republicans, toastmasters, etc. They may sponsor you.

Good luck
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Toronto has a plethora of famous magicians that you should contact, and have them visit your club once you get started. Toronto is very fertile magic territory.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Remarkable Marco
View Profile
Veteran user
When I grow up, I want to have
355 Posts

Profile of Remarkable Marco
I am toying with the idea of starting a magic / mentalism club in my university town, Bloomington IN... any further feedback and ideas to add to the above?
John Sturk
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
120 Posts

Profile of John Sturk
I started my own when I was at Michigan State. It actually ran pretty successfully; we would get more people at our meeting than the local IBM ring!

First, know the rules on making a student org. I was fortunate that one of our IBM Ring members was also a university staff member, so he was our sponsor. You'd probably be able to find a sponsor in the theater or psychology department.

Second, get the word out. My university had a huge student org. fair at the beginning of the year, so we'd have a table and handouts, and naturally, demonstrations. We'd do a few shows on campus, too and made sure it'd get covered by the university paper as well has having a few "about our club" flyers to hand out. Also, we set up a web account through the university, so we could have a subdomain name under the main msu.edu domain.

Third, make sure you get members committed to magic. Nothing kills a magic club faster then focusing on rules, bylaws, and parliamentary procedure. Keep it focused on learning and practicing magic!

Fourth, make sure you have a successor in place to avoid getting "founder's syndrome" - when they guy who started the club leaves or graduates, the club will wither and die. That's what happened to my club - as soon as I graduated, the club didn't keep going because nobody had quite the same drive and energy as I did.

That's my best advice!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Starting own magician university club (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL