We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Does it always have to be Corinda and Annemann to start with? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Kim
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Kim
Another suggetion is to read the biographies and autobiographies of some of the well known psychis,past and present.Not for tricks and techniques,but to see how they presented themselves as miracle workers.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Kim
JamesCheung
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK
214 Posts

Profile of JamesCheung
I am a great believer in immersing yourself in as much knowledge and material as you can from the start, both advanced material and beginner stuff. As your learning curve levels out you will go back and see greater depth in the material and it will start to make sense. Take what is useful, discard that which is useless and develop from there.
hmk
View Profile
New user
uk
68 Posts

Profile of hmk
Corinda maybe,annemann...no.probably have to agree with a previous posting and say karl Fulves,the 0 step.
good luck.
hmk
hjelm
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden, Borlänge
112 Posts

Profile of hjelm
If you think that the best way to be a good mentalist is to study books then you should start with Corinda.
For me it was better with a combination between theory and practise.
I bought Coringa. Boring and at that level nearly useless. Like starting to learn a language by studying an encyclopedia. You need to talk, listen, look and read.
If I then knew what I know now I would start with Max Maven's video Videomind, Osterlind's DVD Mind mysteries and Bob Cassidy's video. Learn one thing from each, that I like and then exercise and practise.
I would get a partner to talk with and exchange experiences.
Then read some modern books. And then the classics.
Sariel
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Sariel
This will be one neverending discussion...
Mel Toyer
View Profile
Loyal user
Luton, England
216 Posts

Profile of Mel Toyer
I have suggested in another post that it would be a good thing for beginners to read books by Banachek, Knepper and Jermay etc. I feel that by at least having some knowledge of what these artists can and do perform the ground will be set.

I should make it clear that I don't think the beginner should attempt to PERFORM the effects but rather use the information as inspiration to learn and master the basics found in Corinda / Annemann.

What do you think ?
Socrates
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of Socrates
What an interesting thread!

Still relevant in this day and age?

I think it may be, however I've heard it's extremely difficult to get your hands on the Derren Brown books these days... The first books that I read, the ones that really got me thinking, were 'Magic & Showmanship' by Henning Nelms and 'Magic by Misdirection' by Fitzkee. After reading these I started to experiment with tricks and presentational frameworks that suited me, I learnt by trial and error - failed a hell of a lot of the time but made an amazing amount of progress at the same time.

Many years later Derren Brown appeared on our TV screens and then mentalism became so popular that every Tom, Dick and Harry wanted to get in on the act!

Personally I enjoyed reading the Brown books, picked up some useful information and performed none of the tricks but let the concepts sink in to my subconscious mind - much of the presentational side of these books is what Nelms spoke of many years before, the psychology in the Brown books is most informative, yet overlooked by the masses who are just looking for tricks!

Any books can be useful, I read voraciously on many different subjects including magic/mentalism... but the main ingredient required for this wonderful art-form is the Imagination, and unfortunately in this day and age I feel that is what the majority lack the most.

I'm curious to hear other viewpoints on this in 2010.

Look forward to reading your thoughts.

Socrates

'Failure is the key to success; each mistake teaches us something' - Morihei Ueshiba Smile
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
First book I bought was Prism by Max Maven. It was the only mentalism book in the shop at the time and the guy on the front looked kinda weird and cool which is why I bought it!

Im very glad I did.

I didn't buy 13 Steps or PMM until years afer getting into mentalism. I learnt most things from Banachecks Psi Series and Max Mavens Videomind Series DVDs.

M
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
I think there's a difference between a mentalist and a magician who does some mental effects. If you just want to do some mental effects, there are tons of videos and books you can take from. Most magicians, in my experience, study and set up their shows like a smorgasbord. A little from here and a little from there without thinking of things such as "an act" or continuity.

If someone wants to be a mentalist, period, then knowing the craft, including its history, is important. That means Corinda. That means Anneman. That means Nelson. That means Brown and Banachek.

To my mind it also means Fitzkee's The Trick Brain.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
As I've said more times than I care to remember, before one tackles Corinda, Annemann, Nelson, Newman, Banachek, Brown and the others whose names and works are always mentioned one should lay a proper foundation and by far the best guidance one can find for doing so is found in Bob Cassidy's "The Thirty-Nine Steps: A Mentalist's Library of Essential Works." It is an extract from his larger "Fundamentals of Professional Mentalism." Both are available as instantly downloadable e-manuscripts from http://www.Lybrary.com -- best of all, "The Thirty-Nine Steps" is free. Shortcutting the process by starting with Corinda, Annemann et al is like trying to run before you have learned to crawl.

Just my $0.02
Dick Christian
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4484 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Even though I frequently recommend Corinda as the place to start, in truth my very first mentalism book was Kaye's "The Handbook of Mental Magic" (of which I still own). That book piqued my interest and started my exploration for other texts on the subject.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1477 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
My first books on mentalism were the Sensational Mentalism books by Nelson.
Self concept is destiny..
mindshrink
View Profile
Special user
Delhi,India
915 Posts

Profile of mindshrink
Read all books...then as your learning curve stabilizes....write your own book/effects.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
I got into this rather late with a particular interest in real mind control. For that reason my first three books on the subject were 7 Deceptions by Luke Jermay, Pure Effect by Derren Brown and Kentonism by Kenton Knepper. Fortunately I was only encouraged when I discovered that the illusion of real mind control was just as much fun as the real stuff.

After those three I swiftly got a copy of 13 Steps Corinda Smile I still refer to all four of these books for inspiration.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
The Amateur Magician's Handbook by "Hays." Then almost anything except for Brown.

*jeep!
--Grandpa
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Does it always have to be Corinda and Annemann to start with? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL