The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » ? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
You're a good man Christopher.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
On 2013-09-24 15:25, Christopher Lyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-24 11:22, silvercup wrote:
Butt out of the kid's business. He's not much different than any other kid.

Well I do agree after speaking to his parents about it that this is an example of common teenage angst. He and his parents had a fight so he made this post. However , at the time, I had no idea what I was butting into, or if I was at all. Clinton posted the translation which did raise some red flags. I'm a close personal friend of this kids family and felt the need to address this with them.

In today's world, you just never know. Perhaps if more people were proactive and didn't simply "butt out!" then their would be less children feeling that suicide is the only way to turn.

Now granted, that is NOT what is going in here, but my initial concern was.

The problem was in your head so you butted in. Got it.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
I'm a close personal friend of this kids family and felt the need to address this with them.

Of course he should have said something!
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
Quote:

Well I do agree after speaking to his parents about it that this is an example of common teenage angst. He and his parents had a fight so he made this post. However , at the time, I had no idea what I was butting into, or if I was at all. Clinton posted the translation which did raise some red flags. I'm a close personal friend of this kids family and felt the need to address this with them.

In today's world, you just never know. Perhaps if more people were proactive and didn't simply "butt out!" then their would be less children feeling that suicide is the only way to turn.

All joking aside.

Good that it turned out okay. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2013-09-24 14:57, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Oh my.
But parents are and should be the main contact here. Parents almost always care deeply for their children, and they very often are not aware of psychological trouble. Alerting them may allow this...

to get much worse.

try this instead: "hi, saw your message in hex code - would you like to discuss something?"
...to all the coins I've dropped here
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
When I made my earlier post, the OP had only stated, "This is a young man in my area. I have contacted his parents and made them aware of this."

The fact that he was close personal friends with the family wasn't mentioned at that point.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-09-24 17:16, mastermindreader wrote:
The fact that he was close personal friends with the family wasn't mentioned at that point.

A master mindreader would have divined it, I fancy.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
On 2013-09-24 15:48, silvercup wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

What the hell is your problem? I'm a close friend to the family and I noticed something peculiar with their child. I did nothing wrong in contacting the parents...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-09-24 23:24, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

A mind reader doesn't divine, he simply reads minds. It doesn't work over the Internet though. Smile
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-09-25 00:16, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-24 23:24, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

A mind reader doesn't divine, he simply reads minds. It doesn't work over the Internet though. Smile

We need to do something about that.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
On 2013-09-25 00:06, Christopher Lyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-24 15:48, silvercup wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

What the hell is your problem? I'm a close friend to the family and I noticed something peculiar with their child. I did nothing wrong in contacting the parents...

No problems here Chris. I spoke the truth. The problem was in your head, and you butted in.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Christopher. Don't listen to Silvercup. You know from your time on the Café there's always somebody that's going to pee in the punch.

My freshman year in college a kid in my dorm jumped out the windows; seven floors down. Super bright kid, had just won a prestigious engineering award. Nobody suspected anything. Afterward the found cryptic messages and notes in his stuff. Perhaps if somebody took the the time to intervene with him or his parents, he'd still be alive today.

You could have very well saved this young mans life. You definitely reaffirmed your commitment to being a friend. Nobody can degrade that nor take it away.

You are a good man. Cheers
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Imgic Chris himself admitted there was nothing there. He didn't save anyone's life nor very well could have. IMHO there are too many people in other peoples business these days.
I have a friend who in order to keep his kids has to attend a whole mess of "helpful" programs simply because someone made totally false accusations about him. No one in the government agency took the time to investigate they simply acted because someone said something. It's not at all helpful and in fact is screwing up the family.
Long story short people should mind their own business.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Thanks Christopher. As a parent, I would appreciate someone caring enough to inform me. I might not want to hear it or believe it at the time, but I would appreciate it.

I have a couple of friend and family members whose kids almost died because everyone "minded their own business"...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Well the only reasonable thing to do then is for everyone to go and stick their nose in everyone's business because that will no doubt save lives.
Let's start with the Federal Government and work our way down.

Wait that's already been done. Better start with your friends and neighbors.
Snoop into their business and see how you can better them...oh and save lives.
Don't forget the saved lives. Lives have to be saved you know.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I thought the definition of friend was someone who butts into your business caringly and vice-versa. Your mileage may vary.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » ? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL