The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » I'm Finally Performing (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eric Caldwell
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
156 Posts

Profile of Eric Caldwell
This pretty much a post of pride. I have a serious fear of failure, which has kept me from doing many things in my life, including performing and even practicing magic. My job requires me to see at least four new customers every day. I decided to face my fear and perform one coin trick a day. I have now been doing that for a week. Today, I showed three customers a trick. Smile
RobFromNZ
View Profile
New user
New Zealand
99 Posts

Profile of RobFromNZ
Good on you. I bet they enjoyed it. Keep going!
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
Congratulations! The more practice you get performing in front of people, the better you get. The better you get, the more confidence you get. The more confidence you get, the more you enjoy performing. When you start enjoying it more, the fear of failure will disappear!!! Sounds like you are on your way!!!
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
Congratulations! Ditto what Robin said ^^ Smile
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Yeah - you can't be afraid of failing. Everyone eventually stumbles or gets caught. It ain't the end of the world. Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Use the times you fail as learning experiences.
And don't let them see you sweat. If They catch you, smile and say"You got me". You will get a chance later with someone else to impress.
As you get better - those moments can actually be fun. Did a French drop the other day. The Kid wasnt impressed - even when I pulled it out his ear. He knew exactly what I had done and described it in great detail. I conceded " you got me. You are a sharp one". I patted him on the shoulder- rang in a 2nd coin - did quicksilver, the. coin on shoulder and the. Under his watch.
We both smiled and he said "ok. Now you got me"
So good for you that you are getting over your fears. Remember , bottom line is magic is fun.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1203 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Eric

I used to feel the same way, so you're not alone. However, you are doing the things that are going to make you a better performer. Keep up the good work & please us updated on your progress. We are all here to help one another!

Best of luck

Mark
Emanuel Chester
View Profile
New user
Howell, NJ, USA
30 Posts

Profile of Emanuel Chester
Good for you, Eric!
Renaissance Man ~ I am interested in a lot, I can do a lot, I have done a lot. Not all equally well, and there's still a lot more for me to explore.
Eric Caldwell
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
156 Posts

Profile of Eric Caldwell
Update: I realised today that I am not getting good reactions because I am not focusing my spectator's attention enough to gain the conviction that I really did put the coin in my hand. I've flat out lost the attention almost as soon as I have begun sometimes.

Practice in the real world makes for realising what needs to be worked on rather quickly. Magic is difficult and wonderful.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
Plus you also have to realize that not everyone likes or wants to see magic. Hard to believe, I know! To make sure you have their attention you can also politely ask them if they'd like to see a quick trick. I'm not saying you're not doing this already, but since you hadn't mentioned it I thought I'd throw it out there. When people say no, smile, say thank you and tell them to have a great day!

Once they say ok, you've got their undivided attention and they know to expect something cool.

And you're right about real world conditions showing us our strengths and weaknesses. Keep at it through the difficult times and keep applying what you learn. Successful people all know the path to success is littered with lots of failure, learning from it and persevering.

Thanks for coming back- please keep us posted on your progress!
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
Eric Caldwell
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
156 Posts

Profile of Eric Caldwell
Yeah, I don't understand not liking good magic, which is not at all what I am performing. lol I do always ask if I can show them something/magic. I have yet to receive a no, but I think some people who say yes really would have rather not.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » I'm Finally Performing (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL