The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Alan Shaxon's Confabulation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Hi guys,

I've done a few different versions of confabulation in my show. Today I was reading an old article in Magick that refered to Shaxon's use of a wallet in his routine and I realized I really didn't know what the original looked like. I'm not really concerned about the method, but would like to read a description or see a video of the original routine being performed so I can have a better understanding of the origins of the effect. Could anyone here point me in the right direction to learn more.

Thanks,
Richard
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I did the original for years. It looked like this:

Three people call out three bits of information, say a model of a car, a color, and a purchase price.
The performer jots these down on a small notepad, tears out the sheet and hands it to someone to hold.

The performer points out that before the show he had someone initial a sealed envelope. He asks that person to stand. Removing his wallet from his inside jacket pocket, he opens it and unzips its inner compartment. From the compartment he removes a small envelope (#5 coin). He shows that it is sealed and has the initials verified. He tears the envelope open and removes a folded paper. Unfolding it, it is seen to be a receipt from a car dealer. The model, color, and the sales price all match the previously made free selections.

That's pretty much it. Of course you didn't have to use the auto-receipt idea. Dream vacations, dates, etc. are all viable alternate presentations.

The Shaxon original was, I believe, originally produced by Ken Brooke.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5945 Posts

Profile of george1953
You are bang on señor Cassidy, I bought mine from Ken Brooke in the 70s and still use it today, ahh the memories are flooding back, I remember you had to plan the whole day around a visit to Kens place, he was a wonderful carácter.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Thanks guys. This is great!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Alan Shaxon's Confabulation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL