The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Restoring a Don Alan Chop Cup. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Dear All,

Last Winter I acquired a Don Alan Chop Cup, from a magician here in the UK who was retiring.

The cup is excellent, and works perfectly. It came in a green leather pouch. I do not know when the cup was made, or by whom, however it seems to have had a lacquer applied to the copper. This lacquer is spotted and peeled, and I wish to remove it completely, in order to restore it to its former glory.

Not being in anyway expert in such things, could anyone advise as to a gentle way to achieve this task?

Many thanks,

Tom
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1736 Posts

Profile of jakeg
If you take the cup to an antique dealer, chances are that he can tell you how to take the lacquer off, or, he can send it out and have it done.
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Have you tried pouring some Lacquer Thinner onto a rag and rubbing the surface of the cup with it?
I wouldn't suggest immersing the cup into any fluids as you don't want any fluids to get trapped inside the cup's recesses, but applying thinner to the surface should remove the lacquer.
Once you are down to bare metal, polish it.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes. Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22857 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The paint can be taken off very easily with Paint Remover sold at any hardware store. Easiest to purchase the one that only uses water to remove the Paint Remover. Also buy a pair of heavy rubber gloves, as Paint Remover is a form of acid. Same with Lacquer Thinner, never handle the thinner in a way it can get on your skin.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Restoring a Don Alan Chop Cup. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL