The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Cog - Real mind reading? (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11 [Next]
rekoj
View Profile
New user
ENGLAND
50 Posts

Profile of rekoj
COG is now available at Ellusionist again
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
Is the E version different from the original version sold by Ben?
Is it still limited?
Believe me...nothing is trivial...
rekoj
View Profile
New user
ENGLAND
50 Posts

Profile of rekoj
I just placed an order for COG on E.
I believe it is the same, as Ben says on his twitter account that it's only going to be available from E from now on.
Ben has sold out of his remaining stock.
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
Quote:
On 2014-02-06 07:01, EricDraven wrote:
Is the E version different from the original version sold by Ben?
Is it still limited?


I have both, and the material is the same. The main difference (besides not having the "E" logo on the back) is that the original 250 copies came with access to the private FaceBook group where some pretty great additional thoughts/uses continue to be discussed.
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
Mhh no access to fb?
ok I pass...
Believe me...nothing is trivial...
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1141 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Quote:
On 2014-01-23 18:17, Pasteboard Alchemist wrote:
Keep at it--it does work wonderfully. Approaching this with no fear of failure is a huge help. If that means you need to have outs ready to have that sense of security, there's no shame in that. But, in the end, just fearlessly throwing everything you have into it had (for me, at least, YMMV) the resulting effect of the techniques actually working better. Nobody is going to string you up if you're wrong (in fact, I believe there's a provided "out" of using a full-on miss as a positive segue into another effect.)

All the "go for it!" cheers aside, if you're not even hitting with the first technique, then I think I could take a good guess at the culprit. If you bought the book directly from Ben and are part of the FB group, post there and I (and others that know far more than I) will give you any help you need.

Quote:
On 2014-01-23 16:18, DynaMix wrote:
I have not been able to hit with this at all...I have to try more and build more confidence.

The vid itself was a bit discouraging...several of the techniques in the book don't even happen in the video, things that are central to the method according to the book. Gotta keep at it.



Wow I had no idea some of you responded to me, I must've missed it somehow. Thank you for your thoughts sir, (Peter as well) I think part of the problem is that I hit so often on basic card psy forces (QH, KofSpades etc), I just have that aforementioned nervousness...gotta move past that though. I will definitely keep at it. I think sometimes in the mind of the spectator they can't tell the difference between various methods of revealing/predicting "thought of" cards. But this technique is obviously worth working on. I will post to the fb group (I am indeed a member) and get into some specifics.

Thanks all. Really made my day!
GaMBiT_101
View Profile
Regular user
Adelaide
138 Posts

Profile of GaMBiT_101
Is the the cog book available at ellusionist a first edition print.
"Being able to do tricks, doesn't mean you're able to be Entertaining!"
p_n_g
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of p_n_g
Hi,
can somebody tell me if it is the same as RTYM?

Here is a link for the effect :
http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic......orum=159

Norbert
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2014, GaMBiT_101 wrote:
Is the the cog book available at ellusionist a first edition print.


Oddly enough, both the copy originally purchasable directly from Ben as well as the Ellusionist version (at least the first round they offered them) all say "1st Edition" inside. While this makes little to no sense (how can there be later editions that also say 1st?) it says it nonetheless. I'm uncertain if subsequent publishings by Ellusionist also say "1st Edition", but I wouldn't be surprised if they do given this original oversight. If you're asking if any of the Ellusionist versions ever allowed access to the Facebook group, though, then the answer is no.

Quote:
On Mar 5, 2014, p_n_g wrote:
can somebody tell me if it is the same as RTYM?


It is not the same.
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1760 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Just came home and what should I find...a lovely little package that neatly wrapped inside is a a samll black and white soft bound book with a cog on it. While it took only about 20 or thirty minutes to read, the information is still digesting as my mind thinks of the possibilities. These principles are REAL non-contact mind reading that can be performed completely naked (though not advised...unless you're a sexy little creten with terrible hair like yours truly of course)! I want to just quickly say that this is pretty fantastic and honestly I doubt a lot of people will do it because it's too bold, beautiful...and oh yeah REAL! You at no point have to lie about what you are doing, which for me means the process is much more relaxed and it feels as if you are really a mind reader because you are. Beautiful piece of work, something I am definitely going to put the work into, Fraser Parker's contribution was mind blowing as well!

Much Love,
-Jakob
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
426 Posts

Profile of daver
Two things I'd like to chime in with...

1) Edition and printing are two different things. This is still first edition if it is the same material as what Ben produced in the first 250.

2) As someone who missed out on the first 250 (I made a ToDo I never got back to ;-) I did buy it from E because I wanted it, but IMHO, saying that only the ones who got Ben's original printing can get to the FB group is petty. It is rude and disrespectful to people who want to learn and do justice to the material, and a slap in the face saying "you were not fast enough to get it from me (hell, what about people who had to scrape the $ together???), so you can't talk to the others who bought it from me because you were late"

I might be less harsh if it was stated at the outset, "there are 250, that will have access to a FB group, and after that you won't have that access" but this is BS. It came about after someone thought it would be a good idea for a private roup, so Ben set one up, then afterewards decided anyone who did not get it directly from him after the first 250 ran out, could not join.

I like the material, I like Ben, and I usually don't vent, but this is garbage.



Quote:
On Mar 5, 2014, Pasteboard Alchemist wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2014, GaMBiT_101 wrote:
Is the the cog book available at ellusionist a first edition print.


Oddly enough, both the copy originally purchasable directly from Ben as well as the Ellusionist version (at least the first round they offered them) all say "1st Edition" inside. While this makes little to no sense (how can there be later editions that also say 1st?) it says it nonetheless. I'm uncertain if subsequent publishings by Ellusionist also say "1st Edition", but I wouldn't be surprised if they do given this original oversight. If you're asking if any of the Ellusionist versions ever allowed access to the Facebook group, though, then the answer is no.

Quote:
On Mar 5, 2014, p_n_g wrote:
can somebody tell me if it is the same as RTYM?


It is not the same.
Dave



What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3607 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I guess the other side of the coin is that those of us who bought one of the first 250 thought we were buying a limited edition only to see it go on general release. Mind you the number of people that will put the effort in to master this will be less than the original 250 copies and those that will use it to its full potential are even less still.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
Additionally, those of us that purchased the first run (through Ben) paid more. It makes sense that he'd want to provide some sort of additional value to those that were told it'd be a limited run. I can understand that it feels disappointing to not have access to a pool of additional material (which is why I purchased one of the last of Ben's version directly from him *after* having purchased the E version--and for the record: it was totally worth it) but that hardly seems like a reason for one to throw around words like "petty". Given your strong reaction, I suspect that you'd be equally outraged if you were one of the original purchasers of the 250 run and the group was opened to everyone outside of that limited run.
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
426 Posts

Profile of daver
Not at all. If I knew up front there was this group I would not have waited and bought it as soon as it hit. The group was created on a suggestion later, unplanned, and then said "you bought my work, but were not one of the first, so sorry, we're having this secret conversation because we're part of the club and no new members"

Leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

My question is, why would you want to exclude a group of people who you want to do justice to your work and bought it fair and square? Isn't that counterintuitive?

Either make it limited edition, or don't. But don't exclude your customers because someone had a nice idea after you released it, and (I still don't know why you would want to exclude people you don't want doing a half assed job with your work) then you decide to shut people out after the fact.
Dave



What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1225 Posts

Profile of magicman29
I love cog but for what its worth there ain't much happening on the cog forum.

Kieran
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1571 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2014, daver wrote:
Not at all. If I knew up front there was this group I would not have waited and bought it as soon as it hit. The group was created on a suggestion later, unplanned, and then said "you bought my work, but were not one of the first, so sorry, we're having this secret conversation because we're part of the club and no new members"

Leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

My question is, why would you want to exclude a group of people who you want to do justice to your work and bought it fair and square? Isn't that counterintuitive?

Either make it limited edition, or don't. But don't exclude your customers because someone had a nice idea after you released it, and (I still don't know why you would want to exclude people you don't want doing a half assed job with your work) then you decide to shut people out after the fact.


Great point.
If it was a limited release, it should have been the original and nothing else.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2014, daver wrote:
Not at all. If I knew up front there was this group I would not have waited and bought it as soon as it hit. The group was created on a suggestion later, unplanned, and then said "you bought my work, but were not one of the first, so sorry, we're having this secret conversation because we're part of the club and no new members"

Leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

My question is, why would you want to exclude a group of people who you want to do justice to your work and bought it fair and square? Isn't that counterintuitive?

Either make it limited edition, or don't. But don't exclude your customers because someone had a nice idea after you released it, and (I still don't know why you would want to exclude people you don't want doing a half assed job with your work) then you decide to shut people out after the fact.


Why not start a facebook group for all COG users, yourself. It takes very little effort and you'd have a bigger subscriber base than the limited group.
Jeff Wassom
View Profile
Elite user
491 Posts

Profile of Jeff Wassom
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2014, magicman29 wrote:
I love cog but for what its worth there ain't much happening on the cog forum.

Kieran


Find this hilarious considering the uproar.
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1571 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2014, Jeff Wassom wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2014, magicman29 wrote:
I love cog but for what its worth there ain't much happening on the cog forum.

Kieran


Find this hilarious considering the uproar.


The latter buyers would not have known that though.
Jeff Wassom
View Profile
Elite user
491 Posts

Profile of Jeff Wassom
Yeah, I bought this as a limited release when it first came out, and tried to get on the COG forum but do to some miscommunication wasn't able to get added.

I feel Mark Chandaue hit the nail on the head with very few people investing the trial and error required to become skilled with this. That's why I wasn't mad the release became unlimited.

Feel the same way with Peter Turner's work. Just happy to have the book. =)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Cog - Real mind reading? (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL