The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Candles (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

michael640
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of michael640
Hi,
Just wanted some information about the candles made by Fantasio. I need a single candle that can appear and then disappear, is this possible? as there seems to be only an "appearing" candle and a "disappearing" candle, not one that does both. any information would be appreciated.
xxxRoyxxx
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of xxxRoyxxx
Michael,
You are looking for the "vanishing candle" which allows you to produce and vanish it, since it doesn't have tension to extend....Although, there are several others he makes, I belive; Try going to his website, don't know the address so, just type in Fantasio...Roy
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
The vanishing candle will allow you to produce it and vanish it. That is what you would be looking for. He makes red and white. Hope this helps.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
michael640
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of michael640
Thanks guys, the 'vanishing' candle it is!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I would also recommend getting Fantasio's book or the two lecture videos he did at the magic castle. Both are very good.
Kyle Peron

RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Despite there being a "appearing candle" that extends on its own, like an appearing cane, I have better control producing the "vanishing candle". Because the tip of the candle is held by one hand while it extends it under cover of a silk, I have much better control keeping it under cover of even the smallest of silks. The appearing candle juts out at light speed and if not angled properly may peek out from behind the cover of a silk at any time. Following it's production, you can vanish it just as quickly and easily. One quick upward sweep of the silk and candle is produced, lit any way you like, and finally vanished.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
The vanishing candle is more versatile for appearances and vanishes. However, you may want to use an appearing candle if you want to make an appearance of the candle and then place it in a candle holder to be lit.
Kyle Peron

boltt223
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona, USA
175 Posts

Profile of boltt223
I use the vanishing candle, produce it... light it to show it can be... then blow it out and make it vanish. Smile
Marcus Taylor
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Marcus Taylor
I prefer the vanishing candle, although it is possible to both produce and vanish the appearing candle, but not as cleanly as you can with the vanishing candle
Magically Yours,

Marcus Taylor

marcus-magic@hotmail.com
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
I use both candles in the middle of my manipulation act. After my dancing cane routine, the cane vanishes into a few silks, one of which is white. I get rid of the other silks, and then draw attention to a lit red candle which has been on a table throughout the act. I pick it up, compare it to the white silks, then in one wiping motion the candle stays lit but turns white. (Color changing candle by: Fantasio)

I then take the white candle (vanishing candle by: Fantasio), and make it vanish. Then reproduce it and light it using a match pull. After doing a few flourishes and spins with the candle, I look into my empty right hand and a candle appears lit out of nowhere (appearing candle by: Fantasio).

Lastly, I take the two candles into my left hand and then touch the flame of one of them with my right hand. It looks almost like I am carrying the flame in my hand and I drop it. As this happens a candle appears lit from under it. (Inspired by Lance Burton, I made up a gimmick to hold an appearing candle and flash paper in the correct position.)

So that's my part of my manipulation act using candles. You really just need to buy various Fantasio products and play with them. Not only is it fun, but also they can create a sure crowd pleaser!

Evan
HighVolt29
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of HighVolt29
I just saw Lance Burton's award winning manipulation act with the Fantasio candles on his great DVD. As Evan Williams said above, Lance Burton takes the fire from one candle in his finger tips and throws it up in the air creating what appears to be a fireball while the candle vanishes. Great misdirection! But my question is; how does he hold on to the fire and then throw it in the air. I assume flash paper but you can't simply hold fire. Is there another vanishing candle he is concealing?

My other question is this:

I am working on a stage act involving a lot of the Fantasio products. I loved the way Lance lit a match and brought it to his vanishing cane. The fire ran down the cane to the end where I assume flash paper was to create a short larger flame. Before I could look back the cane was gone. Did he accomplish this with flash string, running it down the cane?
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
HighVolt,

I do not know what Lance Burton uses (and even if I did I would not want to expose), but I will tell you a little about what I use.

For the last part where I seem to be holding fire before the lit candle appears under the flame, it is a small gimmick, which I constructed to make it easier. Originally, I would just have flash paper and the appearing candle palmed in my right hand (flash paper pressed onto the wick of the candle, causing the candle to light after the paper is ignited). My hands did not burn too badly, and after a while my skin became so hard on my fingertips that it wouldn't hurt my skin or me anymore. Probably not the smartest thing to do in the world, so I must recommend NEVER TO TRY THIS.

I stopped this after a while, since I wanted a better and safer way to do this. I am not going into much detail, but the gimmick does one main thing for me. It holds the flash paper on top of the candlewick for me, and also protects my hands from the flame. It also is convenient enough for me to just palm off after the sequence and ditch it when the proper time comes.

Hope this gives you some ideas (of what to do and what NOT to do. Smile ),

Evan

Oh yeah, about you other question. Sorry, but I do not exactly know how Lance does that with his cane. I'm sure someone like yourself may be able to make up their own way of doing it though Smile .
johngaydon
View Profile
New user
JHB, SA
9 Posts

Profile of johngaydon
I have built a candle that can endure all but extreme close up inspection. It lights itself at my command. I don't have to be anywhere near it - the other side of the stage - in another room - strolling around amongst the audience. To reset - just blow it out! I haven't seen anything like it advertised anywhere, and was wondering if anyone else has something like this. I used it as the opening effect in a stage competition recently, and a visiting magician from Portugal talked me into parting with it right after the show. I have subsequently built a number of refined versions which work even better than the original. Any comments?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21989 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
John,

There are self lighting candles on the market. James Rainho made electronic production candles.

Candle from pocket in a lighter version. If yours does not require being triggered by youself, then you may have something. If it can be produced from a silk or your pocket lit.

Just to have a candle lit while no one is around is a trick but I don't think much of an effect in itself.

If you want credit for it. I suggest you submit it to Linking Ring Magazine for the original contest they have every year or market or publish it before someone beats you to the punch. Like the guy you sold it to.

Highvolt29,

The traveling flame is something that Lance Burton has developed himself and is not on the market. It is not Flash string, flash string burns the entire string at once. Lance 1st used it in his string to silk effect in his award winning act.

The flying flame idea is again Lance Burton's and his alone. It does look like part of the effect uses a Fickle Fire device. But the perfect traveling flame to his hand is a real puzzler. He done this on a TV show when he was acting.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
johngaydon
View Profile
New user
JHB, SA
9 Posts

Profile of johngaydon
Thanks for the comment!

I quite agree that a candle that lights itself for no reason is a trick rather than magic, so I have ensured that it fits in with the mood and theme of my show (bear in mind that I'm strictly amateur and do most of my magic for fun). My opening is that I walk onto stage dressed like a father returning home after a hard day at the office - tie semi loose etc. I sit down in my easy chair and pick up my book as if to read. The lights are down and I make it obvious that I can't really read by the light available. There is a table a little way away from me with some household items on it, including a candle. No wires or anything electic in sight. The table is on a bare stage floor. I'm "too tired" to get up, so I click my fingers and the candle lights itself. At the same time the stage lights go up and the show gets going.

I have also manufactured a gimmick that allows me to pick the flame up off the candle and transfer it to another. My fingers don't get burned and I'm clean afterwards.

cheers
John
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21989 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
John,

Sounds like a good ideas for your act. I thought of a similar theme many years ago as a magic play.

The traveling flame dates back to the early 1940's my first was a P&L model. Mak-Magic has had this item for sale for many years.

Doing magic as a hobby or professionally is not an issue. Getting credit when due is.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I have a McBride candle that I am currently working on incorporating into my routine. I of course have the appearing and disappearing candles from Fantasio but this candle is something special.

For those of you unfamiliar, it is of the thick candle variety. It can be produced, vanished, levitated, and the candle can be lit magically without using a lighter or match.

Do any of you guys use the McBride Candle?
Any thoughts or ideas?

Another cool bit that I use with candles is a TT that allows me to pick up the flame of one candle in my fingers and hold it, then set it on another candle making it burn. I am sure many of you use or have used this but for those that haven't it's a very magical effect.
Daniel Faith
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
John,

I'm interestd in clapping my hands and havin the flame light. With your candle, is this effect possible?

Also, Dave powell makes a candle called "Warlocks Candle" which is a self lighting candle. But you need to be holding the candle to light it.

Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Candles (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL