The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What's a really good prediction illusion? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
141 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
I need a really good prediction illusion. One of my favorites was David Copperfield's Graffiti wall illusion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5agcUkV0gPE) in which a painting is made and then the prdiction is opened showing a picture that's excactly the same (or mostly the same). I need an illusion sortof like this, not neccesarily a painting, but a way to have an envelope in full view that is opened showing words or actions that a volonteer freely chooses, and without having to do any "forces" (or at least not many). Anyone have any suggestions?
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1456 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
What books on mentalism have you read? Do a search on the Café, this type of question gets asked a million times. Look into your Corinda and Annemann and you'll find the answer.
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1212 Posts

Profile of Cervier
I suggest you read Corinda's "13 steps...".
I also suggest you define "really good" (?), and that you explain why a you don't want forces but a few would be ok (when I don't see why you would need more than one?!). It seems to me you're looking for a method before you thought of the effect you want...
"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
Bard
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of Bard
He's using the term "Illusion" which means he's a magician looking for a trick, not a Mentalist and probably not interested in shifting gears just now.

One of the more visual predictions that's available is known as DREAM VISION, Copper field performed this some years ago as well and it's quite a nice piece that comes in two sizes; a nice large screen for stage and a smaller version that would be nice enough for parlor or small stage. If you go to Magic Auction you might find one used for around $1,000.00. . . if you're serious about it I could check with an old friend of mine, he has two in his inventory, he might sell one of them.

The other piece is The Master Prediction System such as was recently seen on AGT with Collin Keys (the small chest with the ladder to get up to it).

The effect you mention is not available unless you could somehow convince David to share it with you (others have tried and failed, but hey, you might catch him on a good day).

If you want some audience involvement there are a few bits to think of such as Chair Predictions (Rick Maue's FATE is quite awesome) If you are into cute and do family shows there is an obscure piece in a book called CRITTERS known as the Baby Elephant Walk that you might find interesting. . . you'll have to look for it on Lulu I can't give you any more details than that. The effect is a chair prediction that uses over-sized stuffed animal toys as the chairs.

I recall seeing another piece in the Stevens Magic catalog sometime ago, called BILLBOARD but I can't remember all the details around it. I know that it was a very high profile reveal.

HEADLINE PREDICTIONS are done frequently and the Corinda book noted earlier will give you some rather old methods for accomplishing this. The problem is, fewer and fewer printed papers exist in our world now days and it might be a better thing if you could adapt one of these older effects to a Kindle or iPad type Reader. I know several people are playing with this idea and I even know of a method that could work for someone that's very confident and willing to be a bit bold about things.

Best of luck!
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
141 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
Thanks Bard.

It wasn't actually Copperfield's Graffiti Wall that I wanted, rather just something along those lines where a prediction that's visible the whole time turns out to be true (it's frustrating how many effects he owns that no one else is allowed to use). I also saw him do "Dream Vision", but I never really liked that one much, and it wouldn't really work in my show anyways. Thanks for pointing out "The Master Prediction System". That's sure expensive, but it might be the answer. Any suggestions on what version or dealer?

What I meant by no forcing, or almost none is that some effects like the "mental epic" (which I already use) involve mostly freely chosen items, but still a little forcing (at least with the traditional version).
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
Wellington Enterprise.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9640 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Please, this is an open forum guys
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2367 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Ay ay ay.... spoiler alert. :O

Gah! People don't even realise when they are exposing any more. Smile And tying to Google key words that are likely to be used by people not even looking for answers...
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
141 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
What are you talking about? What does that have to do with this topic?
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I just googled prediction box and it got tons of hits. One was the Café, but there were MANY others. I think that asking for direction shouldn't be met so harshly. If a spectator googles simple search key words they are bound to find something. They're not going to figure out how the effects work without buying them from the little bits of information given here.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I was thinking of what a spectator might actually google when I typed in the search words. The only info on the MAooly website is a Criss Angel quote and the hefty price tag.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1456 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Forget spending a ton of money on a toy. Get the basic books, learn mentalism, and do it right. Corinda offers several answers to this question.

Gotta walk before you learn to run. Respect the art, and do things right.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I do agree with everyone here that you should own and work through 13 Steps. There's a lot of VERY practical and usable stuff in there.
Bard
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of Bard
Quote:
On 2013-09-26 10:28, JBiesecker wrote:
Thanks Bard.

It wasn't actually Copperfield's Graffiti Wall that I wanted, rather just something along those lines where a prediction that's visible the whole time turns out to be true (it's frustrating how many effects he owns that no one else is allowed to use). I also saw him do "Dream Vision", but I never really liked that one much, and it wouldn't really work in my show anyways. Thanks for pointing out "The Master Prediction System". That's sure expensive, but it might be the answer. Any suggestions on what version or dealer?

What I meant by no forcing, or almost none is that some effects like the "mental epic" (which I already use) involve mostly freely chosen items, but still a little forcing (at least with the traditional version).

There are versions to the Mental Epic that do not require a force, you might contact Kevin James about the one he sells -- kjmagic.com -- In the case of freely chosen items. . . yes, this works but we're are looking at a handful of methods you need to weigh -- use of a swami, use of a secret helper, and another method I'd rather not say in an open forum (and which can be awkward) and then there's that other method that I'll not mention here... sorry . . . you will find these two methods in Corinda but you can PM me if you wish and I can fill you in. . . hmmm, that's another method. . . gesh!

Dream Vision is very practical for a big magic show and one of those bits I've always appreciated and yes, I understand the frustration when it comes to pieces owned by David.

If I had a better understanding as to what you wanted to accomplish I might be able to help you a bit better. It would also pay to know what your show staffing and feel were in that we might be able to develop something that's just for you. Again, PM me if you would like to discuss this potential.
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
141 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
Thanks. What I need is not a mind reading trick like "mental Epic", but a word prediction trick like "dream vision". I'm now leaning towards either the "Master Prediction system" by Wellington http://www.wellingtonent.com/products/predict.html, or "Crystal Clear" by Masters Of Illusion http://www.masterofillusions.ca/store-crystal-clear.html. Has anyone seen both of these or know of any major advantages that one has over the other (besides price)? Another possibility may be "Dream Prediction" by Paul Romney http://www.marketplaceofthemind.com/dream_prediction.html, although I doubt that this one would be as good. Anyone know more?

Usually I do a one man show without any assistants, but not always. Ussualy I do at least have a friend or family member around.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1456 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Quote:
On 2013-09-26 16:58, C.J. wrote:
Ay ay ay.... spoiler alert. :O

Gah! People don't even realise when they are exposing any more. Smile And tying to Google key words that are likely to be used by people not even looking for answers...

Yep... this thread should be moved downstairs, there's a bit too much exposure going on.
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
141 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
What are you guys talking about? We haven't revealed any secrets here.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1456 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Part of the problem is that you don't see that you have. Not you per se, but there has been exposure in this thread. What's more shameful to me is that the people doing the exposing don't even realize it.
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
141 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
This is silly. If anything has been revealed, it must not be much cause I have no idea what it is. Even if something minor has been revealed I wouldn't worry about it here. You can find secrets a lot more on google.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1456 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
I agree, treating methods with frivolity and exposing them openly on a google searchable forum is silly. I wouldn't say it must not be much, rather that you must not know much because I just typed in two words, one of them directly from this thread, into google and found hit after hit. Not good.

Edit to add:

So, because you can find something on google means it's ok to trivialize the art and further expose something? Am I understanding you correctly? It seems that you're saying that as long as it is minor to you, and/or something you're unaware of than it's fine to post in a google searchable forum. Is this correct?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What's a really good prediction illusion? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL