The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What's a really good prediction illusion? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9647 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2013-09-27 20:03, JBiesecker wrote:
This is silly. If anything has been revealed, it must not be much cause I have no idea what it is. Even if something minor has been revealed I wouldn't worry about it here. You can find secrets a lot more on google.

Man, you are really not getting this! You are correct you have no idea, BUT several members here are trying to tell you and you're not listening.

You are on here asking for effects and specific methods, referring to things by their proper and trade names, and giving actual industry links in a publicly searchable and regularly/often searchable forum. 9 different times to be exact. This is exactly what downstairs is for where it is unsearchable to the public.

People have very patiently tried to assist you and inform you of this and you are completely disregarding them and what they're trying to tell you. You have been a member here for 9 years and are old enough to know better. You're not a kid barging into this community just to get "secrets". I'm sure in 9 years while you've only participated minimally, you've obviously lurked much longer and should know better.

Listen to the advice being offered here. I know you don't have enough posts to gain access to the basement yet, but that still doesn't change the proper use of this forum.

Someone please lock this or move this accordingly.
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
141 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
I am not lurking. I was simply asking advice from others, like countless other posts on this forum. I still don't see what's different between this and countless other posts on this site. If I did do something that's not allowed, then I'm sorry, I didn't know.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9647 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
You seem to have a pronlem understanding things offered here. Just like my lurking comment, you've seemed to have taken the wrong way. It was not meant in a bad way. A lurker is simply someone that visits here without posting much or participating. You've either lurked on and off for 9 years, or joined and then decided not to participate much and left. The point was you haven't regularly posted (it seems) much over the past 9 years since becoming a member. Just stating a point in an effort to try to explain what you seem not to be understanding.

I just gave you the examples of what myself and others are telling you - you are calling effects by name rather than scrambling them, you are offering links to industry sites again by name. Anyone can then (and have) find these by a simple google search by using the info you are providing. This is quite different from most posts you will find here.

This is also a mentalism forum where secrets and methods are more closely guarded that the current exposure trend in magic. Exposure is more than just revealing methods, but also using proper names, resources, and industry links.

To most here mentalism is about much more than tricks and methods, which seems exactly what you are looking for.

Some have referred you to more common and public resources like the Corrinda suggestions. Hopefully you can see the differences. The difference is general public information and others are industry regarded information.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9647 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2013-09-27 21:57, JBiesecker wrote:I still don't see what's different between this and countless other posts on this site.

that's what's trying to be explained to you five times now. If you still aren't getting it, that should be your first priority (in order to get the answers and assistance you are seeking).
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1456 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
I agree with Mindpro.

JBiesecker I sent you a PM which illustrates one of the exposures we're talking about. If you still aren't getting it I don't know what else I can say.
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
141 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
Give me a break guys. Since when is it wrong to list effects and manufacturer's by name on this site? I don't post very often, but I'm on the site regularly and I've seen countless posts like this. On this one: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=7 many of the same things are given including links and manufacturer's.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9647 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Again, as I said that is in a different forum a magic forum, where exposure is much more common and somehow accepted. Just because you find an example doesn't make that right. You are trying to justify it rather than understanding it.

I and others tried to give you the benefit of the doubt since you obviously didn't understand. But your "give me a break guys" sentiment combined with "I need an illusion sortof like this" and " What I need is not a mind reading trick like "Me&*^l E&^c", but a word prediction trick like..." shows that you don't seem to understand this forum.

Perhaps since what your seeking s a "trick" and and "illusion" you would be better served in those such forums rather than a mentalism forum. If you don't care for the way this forum works you might want to go where your lack of respect and professionalism and interest in "tricks" and "illusions" are more invited and exposure more rampant, right or wrong. Give ME a break, you're not trying to understand.
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
141 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
Are you saying that this category of this website "penny for your thoughts" is not for discussing items like this, but other categories are?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I believe what he is saying is, that those who normally post and frequent this area have made the conscious choice and group policy not to post information that exposes effects, methods, or posts that further trivializes our art. Post that could lead to exposure and those discussing methods and specifics are posted in the secure area. This was all outlined in a sticky that was accidentally removed and we are waiting on it's being replaced.

Tony Iacoviello
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
141 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
Thank you Tony for explaining this, now it makes sense. I don't see how some parts of this site could be more secure than others, I have easily accessed the other parts from public search engines, (from yahoo at least, I don't use google). But if that's the policy of this site, then I'm certainly willing to respect it. So let's just be done with this topic, and I will avoid posting anything like that on this part of the site from now on.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1572 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Quote:
On 2013-09-26 18:50, Chaz93 wrote:
Forget spending a ton of money on a toy. Get the basic books, learn mentalism, and do it right. Corinda offers several answers to this question.

Gotta walk before you learn to run. Respect the art, and do things right.

Exactly.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Now we can ask for this thread to be moved.

Ray
Bard
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of Bard
Quote:
On 2013-09-28 09:44, innercirclewannabe wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-26 18:50, Chaz93 wrote:
Forget spending a ton of money on a toy. Get the basic books, learn mentalism, and do it right. Corinda offers several answers to this question.

Gotta walk before you learn to run. Respect the art, and do things right.

Exactly.

Actually NO. . . as I said previously, we are looking at a Magician that wants a bit of hard hitting Mental Magic in his show, NOT to become a full time Mentalist . . . and frankly, there are tons of people that have read Corinda & Annemann who are terrible as showmen and unable to pull off proper billet or swami work let alone something as bold as the OP is asking for.

Sure, by being familiar with the two bible's of Mentalism the OP will have a better sense of resource but it is superfluous material, Ted Lesley's PARAMIRACLES would be more practical given his interest.

I spent years doing traditional stage magic in which I would toss in bits of Mental Magic with the understanding that this is all it was. In time I started breaking my show in half so that the second half dealt more with Mentalism, the field I was being pulled toward but needed to get my footing in first. Such seems to be the case with our OP; he only wants a little something to use as a highlight akin to how Copperfield used Dream Vision and his Graffiti Wall predictions.

What he needs to do right now is decide a theme around such a featured piece and what available material seems to fit that niche. He needs something (from the sound of things) that is easy to transport, requires little to no additional assistance (he can do most of the work needed) and which of course, plays big. To my mind this means some version of Confabulation, a Chair Prediction or some form of Headline Prediction . . . maybe even a book test type scenario but it would have to be very special and almost tailored to his needs.

Doing things the "right way" really depends on one's actual needs in the moment.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1572 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
"What he needs to do right now is decide a theme around such a featured piece and what available material seems to fit that niche".

Or perhaps the OP should decide if he wants to be regarded as a Magician or a Mentalist.

"Gotta walk before you learn to run. Respect the art, and do things right".
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
141 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
Lets just be done with this post. I need a trick where I pretend to predict the future, and apparently what I'm looking for is not supposed to be discussed on this forum. I think I've found what I will use anyways, so let's just be done with this post. Thanks to everyone who contributed.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9647 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2013-09-28 12:01, JBiesecker wrote:
I need a trick where I pretend to predict the future

This is exactly the problem right here.

This is also a fantastic example of the previous threads here and downstairs about the differences between magicians and mentalists, thinking like a magician, and the "unable to get it" aspects of magicians.

It was gone over repeatedly yet the examples given were general examples in those threads. Here is an exact real actual example. This is not meant as a slam to the OP as he said after Tony's post (which actually just restated what five of us spent hours already trying to explain) that he understood. But he reality is, like this person, magician's do not understand mentalism and mentalism's mentalities. This is why mentalism is not just a branch of magic like coins, cards, doves, etc.

Go back through the OPs posts and you will see the struggle he's having with trying to comprehend this here, even after it was presented to him (several times by several members. I'm still not convinced it is truly understood as rather just being sorry he asked in the first place.

This thread offers some great insight, perspective and info...to those that truly want to put in the effort to understand the differences and mentalities between magicians and mentalists. We couldn't have asked for a better, more clearly defined example.

It was also (whether he realizes it or not) very helpful to the OP. It explain what he was asking, what he had done inappropriately within this forum and the community AND WHY, and directed him to a proper magic forum here at the Café where his questions and approach might be a better fit for the "tricks" he was seeking, where the information and exposure was more common and acceptable, and in a much less popular and trendy searchable forum.

To me, this was mentalists helping magicians.
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
141 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
Let's drop the subject.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9647 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Haha, you can't really expect that after coming in here and stirring things up now can you? Don't be defensive but be open to learning and the help that you've been offered. It, like entertaining, is all about understanding and perspective.
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
141 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
I'm not saying another word. I apparently posted this on the wrong forum, I didn't realize it, but many people have people have pointed that out. So let's just be done with it.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5318 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Quote:
On 2013-09-28 12:55, JBiesecker wrote:
I'm not saying another word. I apparently posted this on the wrong forum, I didn't realize it, but many people have people have pointed that out. So let's just be done with it.

WHAT,effect did you decide on ?
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What's a really good prediction illusion? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL