The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..17..31..45..59..73~74~75~76~77..107..136..165..194..223..224~225~226 [Next]
The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
So it's hot today. That's not Climate as you said Pop. Mr Crichton sums up the problem with the AGW/CC crowd.

"Horse pollution was bad in 1900," said Crichton. How much worse would someone in 1900 expect it to "be a century later, with so many more people riding horses?
"But of course, within a few years, nobody rode horses except for sport. And in 2000, France was getting 80 percent of its power from an energy source that was unknown in 1900. Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, and Japan were getting more than 30 percent from this source, unknown in 1900. Remember, people in 1900 didn't know what an atom was. They didn't know its structure. They also didn't know what a radio was, or an airport, or a movie, or a television, or a computer, or a cell phone, or a jet, an antibiotic, a rocket, a satellite, an MRI, ICU, IUD, IBM, IRA, ERA, EEG, EPA, IRS, DOD, PCP, HTML, Internet, interferon, instant replay, remote sensing, remote control, speed dialing, gene therapy, gene splicing, genes, spot welding, heat-seeking, bipolar, Prozac, leotards, lap dancing, e-mail, tape recorders, CDs, airbags, plastic explosive, plastic, robots, cars, liposuction, transduction, superconduction, dish antennas, step aerobics, smoothies, twelve-step, ultrasound, nylon, rayon, Teflon, fiber optics, carpal tunnel, laser surgery, laparoscopy, corneal transplant, kidney transplant, AIDS. None of this would have meant anything to a person in the year 1900. They wouldn't know what you are talking about.

Now: you tell me you can predict the world of 2100. Tell me it's even worth thinking about. Our [emissions] models just carry the present into the future. They're bound to be wrong. Everybody who gives it a moment's thought knows it.

-- Michael Crichton in a 2003 speech on climate models at CalTech
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Everything will work itself out, especially if humanity goes extinct.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Maybe it's peculiar to magicians... seeking admiration for not having read cited sources in a larger public dialog.

Crichton's book State of Fear was a while ago.

In the mean time...infrastructure.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
We have had a couple of decades of long but mild winters here in Western Canada (withhold judgment on why this is so). What we are seeing is a rapid spread of parasites that are not traditionally part of our ecosystems. For example, the Mountain Pine Beetle has been killing forests in British Columbia and has rapidly spread to the Rockies; it entered Alberta a couple of years ago. Our pine forests are seriously threatened by this little beetle. Yesterday, I read an article about lungworms entering caribou and muskox populations, where they've not been seen before.

Little changes can have big impacts.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

So maybe Christmas trees get a little more expensive for a few years. The closer you look the more surprises you can find. Countable? Relevant? Useful?
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
So maybe the ocean will acidify and kill all the fish...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Confused philosophers pleading for relevance at the expense of verifiable context earn their rebukes. I enjoy lifting arguments out of denial. Isn't it cold down there in the dark without oxygen under all that pressure?

What are you holding on to down there?

We're talking about stuff that effects you too.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2015, Steve_Mollett wrote:

I always think those who REALLY believe this should set an example.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2015, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Confused philosophers pleading for relevance at the expense of verifiable context earn their rebukes. I enjoy lifting arguments out of denial. Isn't it cold down there in the dark without oxygen under all that pressure?

Actually people seem to have trouble figuring out what the heck you are ever talking about.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

When people learn how to ask questions ...

Sources cited. All in print, many available online.
Horse, water, drink? Actually that's a lie.
This is more accurate: PETA, salt, civility, rights, sigh.

Horse sense vs cowboys
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2015, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

Actually people seem to have trouble figuring out what the heck you are ever talking about.

I have no trouble understanding him.

Which kinda scares me tttt.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Currently enjoying China Melville's story Kraken. Down in the deeps. Contrasted with Moby dick.

Sounding alarms which are neither timely information nor calls to productive action is unhelpful. Call it pranking, or deranged ravings... It's disquieting and much closer to terrorism than kindly adult advice.

History has shown that...

Anyway how are the roads there?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 23, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2015, Steve_Mollett wrote:

I always think those who REALLY believe this should set an example.

In some ways we all do. Bought gasoline? Using A/C and heaters? Lawns? Introducing non-indigenous species...

If even a few people believed...

So for now I'm happy it's just naive unthinking irresponsible public speech. And I respect that's a civil right. Even if it inspires or incites what the ... elides.

I'm speaking out against attempts to incite panic and destructive action.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Which you assume is unwarranted...

If there actually is an asteroid coming, you are not a friend.

Remember, Cassandra the original "hysteric" was actually right. There were Greeks in that horse, pilgrim.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Cassandra FAILED to speak clearly to issues. But at least we have her story. It's called Jerusalem syndrome. Street corner prophets without better options are unhelpful, raising more anxieties than spirits.

Here's one in return, pertinent character from a story that is. The notion of Crazy Eddie. It's from a book by Niven and Pournelle about moties.

Got it?

Only you can prevent forest fires. Or keep tossing in those lit matches. Good idea/bad idea.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Prophesy? Hey Pop, one day in about four billion years the oceans will boil away. See, you were right. Agreed that when the sun expands it's gonna get hot here. ETA a few billion years from now. Feel better? Treat yourself to a nice cool bottle of water and get comfortable. Have two bottles of water. Those billions of years will be quite a show.

Feel better? I'll buy you a beer in the mean time.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

An asteroid just for you... call it a prophesy if you like:

Distractions all while infrastructure falls.

The folks who used to make that left back when it was cheaper to...(crackle of static)
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2015, tommy wrote:
How many deaths has climate hysteria caused so far?

Excerpt from:

http://www.newsweek.com/arnold-schwarzen......e-402243

I see your questions.

Each and every time I post on my Facebook page or tweet about my crusade for a clean energy future, I see them.

There are always a few of you, asking why we should care about the temperature rising, or questioning the science of climate change.

I want you to know that I hear you. Even those of you who say renewable energy is a conspiracy. Even those who say climate change is a hoax. Even those of you who use four letter words.

I've heard all of your questions, and now I have three questions for you.

Let's put climate change aside for a minute. In fact, let's assume you're right.

First - do you believe it is acceptable that 7 million people die every year from pollution? That's more than murders, suicides, and car accidents - combined.

Every day, 19,000 people die from pollution from fossil fuels. Do you accept those deaths? Do you accept that children all over the world have to grow up breathing with inhalers?

Now, my second question: do you believe coal and oil will be the fuels of the future?

Besides the fact that fossil fuels destroy our lungs, everyone agrees that eventually they will run out. What's your plan then?

I, personally, want a plan. I don't want to be like the last horse and buggy salesman who was holding out as cars took over the roads. I don't want to be the last investor in Blockbuster as Netflix emerged. That's exactly what is going to happen to fossil fuels.

A clean energy future is a wise investment, and anyone who tells you otherwise is either wrong, or lying. Either way, I wouldn't take their investment advice.

Renewable energy is great for the economy, and you don't have to take my word for it. California has some of the most revolutionary environmental laws in the United States, we get 40% of our power from renewables, and we are 40% more energy efficient than the rest of the country. We were an early-adopter of a clean energy future.

Our economy has not suffered. In fact, our economy in California is growing faster than the U.S. economy. We lead the nation in manufacturing, agriculture, tourism, entertainment, high tech, biotech, and, of course, green tech.

I have a final question, and it will take some imagination.

There are two doors. Behind Door Number One is a completely sealed room, with a regular, gasoline-fueled car. Behind Door Number Two is an identical, completely sealed room, with an electric car. Both engines are running full blast.

I want you to pick a door to open, and enter the room and shut the door behind you. You have to stay in the room you choose for one hour. You cannot turn off the engine. You do not get a gas mask.

I'm guessing you chose the Door Number Two, with the electric car, right? Door number one is a fatal choice - who would ever want to breathe those fumes?

This is the choice the world is making right now.

To use one of the four-letter words all of you commenters love, I don't give a *** if you believe in climate change. I couldn’t care less if you're concerned about temperatures rising or melting glaciers. It doesn't matter to me which of us is right about the science.

I just hope that you'll join me in opening Door Number Two, to a smarter, cleaner, healthier, more profitable energy future.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The question really is why not find a better way?

The thing is what are we going to do to get there. I think pollution is a bid issue to be addressed.

But the quandary is of course how much the government should force upon us and how much the free market should do the work?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
How well did the free market do on the hole in the ozone layer?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..17..31..45..59..73~74~75~76~77..107..136..165..194..223..224~225~226 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL