The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..27..51..75..99..119~120~121~122~123..144..164..184..204..224~225~226 [Next]
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
This is a cycle that goes in 150 year sections. Approximately ....

"Ice cores from Summit show that melting events of this type occur about once every 150 years on average. With the last one happening in 1889, this event is right on time," says Lora Koenig, a Goddard glaciologist and a member of the research team analyzing the satellite data. "But if we continue to observe melting events like this in upcoming years, it will be worrisome."

Looks like the Scientists on the ground have a much better view!!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
100 million (1 in 65) people worldwide are homeless, and as many as 1 billion people live as squatters, refugees or in temporary shelter, all lacking adequate housing. One, if not the main cause of homelessness, is lake of industry. Many of these out if work homeless people will die this winter because of the cold weather. The best solution to this problem is to close down industry, increase the price of heating, lower the temperature and pay the climate hysterics a thousand billion dollars a year to do it.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2016, tommy wrote:
100 million (1 in 65) people worldwide are homeless, and as many as 1 billion people live as squatters, refugees or in temporary shelter, all lacking adequate housing. One, if not the main cause of homelessness, is lake of industry. Many of these out if work homeless people will die this winter because of the cold weather. The best solution to this problem is to close down industry, increase the price of heating, lower the temperature and pay the climate hysterics a thousand billion dollars a year to do it.

The best solution? Oh yeah, cause it will help kill off so many of those homeless.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2016, RNK wrote:
How do you explain the MANY documented climate changes throughout the Earth's history (including ICE Ages to HOT climates) when man was NOT on the Earth and in the present day try to say in the past 100+ years (which is such a infinitesimally small time of data collection) MAN is causing GW when nature itself was the cause of previous climate changes that were WAY more extreme?
RNK

Is it your position that man has had no effect?

or

Is it your position that 100 years of data collection cannot have provided data that should be acted upon?

Also what science do think the think the believers base their assertions on?

I'm asking, without rancor, in an attempt to get a baseline understanding of your position - so we can continue the discussion from HERE. I'm a little too busy to go over 80 contentious pages, so I felt it best to have you state your EXACT position so I don't make any assumptions.

Btw, I am a layman, but I understand the science. Perhaps you would be kind enough to state your qualifications.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
20 million people in the USA alone are in deep poverty they say. When the climate hysterics reduce industry, that number will increase. When climate hysterics increase heating prices a lot of people are going to be out in the cold in the bleak midwinter. Mind you with a giant ice breaker leading the way they might escape through the Northwest Passage.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2016, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2016, RNK wrote:
How do you explain the MANY documented climate changes throughout the Earth's history (including ICE Ages to HOT climates) when man was NOT on the Earth and in the present day try to say in the past 100+ years (which is such a infinitesimally small time of data collection) MAN is causing GW when nature itself was the cause of previous climate changes that were WAY more extreme?
RNK

Is it your position that man has had no effect?

or

Is it your position that 100 years of data collection cannot have provided data that should be acted upon?

Also what science do think the think the believers base their assertions on?

I'm asking, without rancor, in an attempt to get a baseline understanding of your position - so we can continue the discussion from HERE. I'm a little too busy to go over 80 contentious pages, so I felt it best to have you state your EXACT position so I don't make any assumptions.

Btw, I am a layman, but I understand the science. Perhaps you would be kind enough to state your qualifications.

In short NYCTwister, I have a B.S. in Geology and a M.S. in Environmental Geology/Geochemistry. In my graduate studies I completed many Chemistry classes (from the Chemical Engineering Department) along with Paleontology including the big class- Paleoclimatology. Paleoclimatology was the most informative class that taught me about climates, past climates and the processes/variables used to determine/predict those and future climates. I studied under a Paleoclimatologist who is very well known in this field. Actually she is world known. As a matter of fact, upon hiring her there was a huge buzz at the University when she arrived. And I can tell you, her knowledge of this subject far surpasses the average and beyond. And I will say she definitely not a proponent of GW. She understands that it takes more than 100 years of data to make such a bold claim. So, as to your first question, Yes, you cannot make such a claim using 100 years of data. Throughout history there has been so many climate changes, some dramatic and some not so dramatic.

We have to understand the position of our current gov't. And please everybody, what I am about to say is NOT meant to start a political discussion. Please, please do not take this as such. Look at how all the Republicans that are considered the "Establishment Group", they including the Democrats who have been in Government forever like how things are today. They enjoy all the perks/benefits and money they are making by being in government. And look how the "Establishment" Republicans are acting when a non-establishment candidate (Trump) got the nomination. They all are scared to death that their free reign and cushy positions are in jeopardy. What does this have to do with GW? GW is a position that can be used to pass more regulation with in turn puts more money back in "the establishments" pockets. Again, if GW WAS a dire position/reality then you better believe that something would have been done about it. Heck, the House and Senate were a Democratic majority Obama's first two years in office and legislation passing carbon emission regulations and such could have easily been passed just like the ACA was, but this did not happen. Why? If GW was so threatening as Al Gore has been stating along with his "end of the world/civilization" predictions that of which none have come true, then why did they not pass anything when they easily could have?

Am I a proponent of not doing anything to help our environment? Absolutely NOT! I believe we should take necessary steps to reduce emissions from manufacturing processes and study ways that can reduce identified contaminants in these emissions before they are released into the atmosphere. I am a huge fan of keeping our environment as clean as we can. That being said, we can do that without the added expense to tax paying citizens. There are SO MANY non-effective and wasteful government programs that are benefitting "the establishment" and "lobbyists" that can be eliminated and the monies from those programs could be used to invest more so in Climate Studies in relation to man and our industry processes.

Again, let's please not get into a political debate or battle. The information I posted is about our government as a "whole" and not blaming individually Republicans, Independents or Democrats.

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Wow. I can't believe the number of people who do not understand that global warming is a man-made planetary event. Good grief. Possibly the same group that believes in ghosts or astrology, thinks Elvis is still alive, and doubts the fact of the moon landings, the holocaust or the president's birth place. If you had a clear sense of how much carbon we inject into the atmosphere, and just how incredibly thin our atmosphere actually is, perhaps it wouldn't be so hard to understand. Or perhaps it's a political thing for you, or a matter of faith, and no amount of fact or scientific consensus will sway you.

Human beings as a whole are abject fools. Imagine future generations looking back at us and marveling that we knew exactly what was happening but refused to believe it or do anything about it. Unbefreakinlievable. Smile
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Nobel Laureate in Physics; "Global Warming is Pseudoscience`

On the other hand some magicians call it science.

Tommy
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2016, danaruns wrote:
Wow. I can't believe the number of people who do not understand that global warming is a man-made planetary event. Good grief. Possibly the same group that believes in ghosts or astrology, thinks Elvis is still alive, and doubts the fact of the moon landings, the holocaust or the president's birth place. If you had a clear sense of how much carbon we inject into the atmosphere, and just how incredibly thin our atmosphere actually is, perhaps it wouldn't be so hard to understand. Or perhaps it's a political thing for you, or a matter of faith, and no amount of fact or scientific consensus will sway you.

Human beings as a whole are abject fools. Imagine future generations looking back at us and marveling that we knew exactly what was happening but refused to believe it or do anything about it. Unbefreakinlievable. Smile

Word.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
Wow. I can't believe the number of people who do not understand that global warming is a man-made planetary event. Good grief. Possibly the same group that believes in ghosts or ...

Magic
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I can't believe the amount of people who think a search engine is a substitute for education. I like the way Pop posts and has links to what he is saying and backs it up with other than hot air.

Funny when you guys disagree with RNK how you claim he must be an uneducated moron. Yet if someone did that in your field to you boy would that be ugly.

Nobody addresses his point of 100 years of sorts of flawed data. No just name calling. That is very scientific.

It is unbelievable to me that nobody seems to notice they are being used in a proxy fight. Get out of the GW is or isn't happening argument. May as well argue gravity. If all that you have is name calling you are part of the problem. Would toy call a guy names who didn't understand something or try to help him understand?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:

And I can't believe, well actually I can, your uneducated bias post. You must have NO education or schooling in science. If you did you would have not posted such an abject foolish post.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2016, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:

Word.

And I am figuring that's the extend of your reply to mine. "WORD". Um. Yeah, right on. Now please NYCTwister- share with us here the extent of your science education?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2016, RNK wrote:
You must have NO education or schooling in science. If you did you would have not posted such an abject foolish post.

You see, this is where you lose me, RNK. You claim to have an advanced degree in science, yet you deny human evolution, you deny basic climate science, and you promote bafflegab from a religious organization that pretends to be a college of pediatrics.

Very odd.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
But John to be consistent shouldn't that behaviour bother you from both sides? Those who share your position you don't lose them for the same reason.

You personally do not generally engage in the name calling and such, as a matter of fact you are quit good at not doing that. But consistent is nice s well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
How are you folks doing with the book "hot earth dreams"...written as introduction to the science behind this topic.

Just typing? Go Mavis Beacon!
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy

Tommy
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
In my experience, climate change deniers will never change their minds, no matter the amount or weight of the evidence presented. It's an article of faith for them, and any facts that contradict their established position will be disregarded and dismissed, sometimes with citation to some generally discredited nutball or energy industry source to support their position of faith or politics (which is exactly the use those sources were intended for). As such, it is a waste of time trying to convince them. But to those folks who hold such beliefs, I ask: What would convince you that climate change is occurring and that it is man made?
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The question is why bother to convince anyone? Do you try to convince everyone of evolution, or that the earth is really billions of years old, or of carbon dating, or of gravity?

No convincing is necessary because regardless of belief we have to continue to hurtle through space. Doing it for as long as possible should be the goal. Doing it while trashing our planet is obscene. cleaner planet, sustainable energy. Easy goals.

Dead dinosaurs rolling around in the bottom of our fuel tanks is outdated tech. Time to move forward.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Gorlzax
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Gorlzax
Wow - this discussion. As a person from Finland I do have to say that I am truly amazed every time I come across with this debate - usually in a American discussion forum, although I of course don't know where all you guys are from. I am amazed because in the public discussion here in Finland nobody basically questions Climate change anymore. People of course have very different views on what to do now when it is happening.

RNK argued his point of view with his studies and with the view of his teacher, who RNK tells us is one of the best in her field. Then Dannydoyle wondered why people don't even bother to address RNKs point of 100 years of flawed data.

I'll make it officiall immediately that I do not have a degree on anything that I could back up my thoughts in this matter.

But I think it like this. As you can see from the following link and from many other sources - huge majority of scientific community across the globe recognise man made global warming to be a fact. This being the situation I feel it is not my or our duty here to explain RNKs teachers (who remains anonymous) views but rather it would be interesting to hear how RNKs and his teachers views can differ so much from most of the scientific community. Including the Geological society of America where RNK might be a member.

http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..27..51..75..99..119~120~121~122~123..144..164..184..204..224~225~226 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL