The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..28..53..78..103..125~126~127~128~129..149..168..187..206..224~225~226 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I don't know what makes him think I was answering his question.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Gorlzax
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Gorlzax
I took a closer look at the beginning of this thread and I noticed that its a three year celebration on this topic coming up for all of you guys: tommy, dannydoyle and mr. Townsend.

I have been kind of enjoying this our little discussion or in turn monologues, but now when I read more posts all the way back from the beginning my feelings changed. I can see that all your replys to me are just sort of reprises of some older discussions you have already had. Everything has been said many times, from all point of views.

In this sense I can also understand that you have zero interest to enter the dialogue again with me and to once again explain your position on this matter at hand.

I also feel that this is taking too much of my time in respect to how much any of us are getting out of this.

So, thank you for the exchange of thoughts and see you around on this forum.

Have a great weekend!

Alex
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Who creates more co2 the 97% or the 3%?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Peak energy use is?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I always enjoy the way people with an obvious agenda like our new friend see things. John and Pop and so many on the other side of the discussion have been in since the start. Pop began the thread, yet or new friend wants to point to those he disagrees with add if the 3 year discussion is something bad.

It is a symptom of the problem. Absolute blind loyalty to the team. Each size suffers from it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
It's not a "team sport." Someone is right, and someone is wrong. Period. If the GW folks are right, bad things will happen if we do not listen to them. If the anti-GW folks are right, nothing bad will happen if we do not listen to them. I suppose you can write that statement off as an adaptation of Pasqual's wager, though it is not. But the point is that it's a false equivalency to treat one side like the other. It's not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of fact and reality, and someone is right, and the other side is wrong.

Here's my particular opinion: I'm with the 97% of climate scientists. 97% of the people who know the most about this in the entire world, most of whom are completely unconnected to the United States and its politics. Consider that 8% of Americans think Elvis is still alive, and that tells you about the statistical insignificance of that remaining 3%. The fact that in three years the climate deniers (to use a convenient term oft repeated in this thread) haven't grown in their positions in three years serves only to illustrate the futility of reasoning with them. It does not indicate that they are right, only that they are stubborn. Of course, those who are right are pretty stubborn about it, too, though I venture to say that those folks (which includes me) would switch opinions in a heartbeat were the evidence to indicate that GW is not occurring and is not the result of human activity. I cannot say the same for the deniers.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes very team oriented you are.

I don't think having sides at all makes sense. I think just doing the best smartest thing for progress makes sense. Dear dinosaurs in our gas tanks are old tech. New tech is cleaner and the wave of progress.

Can you make a single post without name calling like denier? Or on the other side using the term "warmer"? That would be an amazing way to move forward and make progress.

Let me guess. That is everyone else's fault right?

And I find it incredibly hard to imagine you changing your mind. But if you are serious stopping name calling might be a start. For both sides that is.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Something bad is happening and climate hysterics ought to stop it. They have a moral responsibility to stop going beyond the bounds of truth, reason, or justice and stealing our hard-earned money.

The more damage people believe that global warming has inflicted or is going to in the future, the more donations and funding the climate hysterics will steal from them. So climate hysterics exaggerate how much damage global warming has actually inflicted and the threat. The climate hysterics have admitted exaggerating and promised to cut it out.

Governments and their experts are always exaggerating threats. They told us they knew more about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq than anyone on the planet.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea see using terms like climate hysterics doesn't help.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well they do tend to suffer from uncontrollable outbursts of emotion or fear, often characterized by irrationality, laughter, weeping, etcetera, about the climate, which is not surprising, bearing in mind that they actually believe the new reports that say things are evenn worse than they first thought. That is really bad news to then because the first reports said we are going to destroy the planet.

Tommy
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
Yes very team oriented you are.

Can you make a single post without name calling?

Let me guess. That is everyone else's fault right?

And I find it incredibly hard to imagine you changing your mind. But if you are serious stopping name calling might be a start. For both sides that is.

Irony meter alert! A favorite tactic of yours. Points for consistency.

On the other hand...

That should be overwhelming and conclusive. But here...

"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Funny how you want to attack the guy who agrees that something should be done to move forward. But you don't care. Yoy want to attack and not fix.

Go ahead if it makes you feel smarter to attack or if it helps your who keep doing it. Meanwhile you accomplish nothing. Next correct spelling and grammar as if that matters.

Let me ask you those questions I asked. Pretty reasonable. What do you prepare to do, what will it cost, what will the direct benefits be and how do you enforce compliance? But no instead you choose to attack me to seem clever.

Had anything in this world ever been done worth 100% agreement? Why are we bothering? Progress is great in that those who can't keep up are left behind. Sad but true. Gas stations will go the way of the dinosaurs who power them, and it is a good thing. Not everyone has to agree. Attacking and arguing so you can feel like the smartest person in the room is dumb. It feeds egos but helps nothing.

But if we don't get past ego driven arguments to solutions it is pointless. The very idea that we don't impact environment is idiotic. It doesn't need to be argued. Look at Lake Eri. We polluted it, we cleaned it up finally. Monumental efforts, regulations (Heaven forbid.) from private and governmental concerns made a difference. Now it is a world class fishing lake and clean. But if we kept arguing about it what would have been accomplished? There was a small noisy group that thought nothing needed to be done. Nobody Paid attention.

So my point is why argue? Propose solutions and propose progress and move forward because that is the right thing to do. Why educate the Luddites?

Oh and a favorite tactic of mine is actually making progress, not arguing so I can pretend I an the smartest person in the room. My family was a big part if the Lake Eri clean up. I know first hand what progress can be made once you move to what people agree on and just go forward. Instead of being a useful idiot in a political proxy fight.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Gorlzax
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Gorlzax
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2016, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2016, danaruns wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2016, RNK wrote:
And in my experience people who have zero understanding of scientific process's are people who are simply followers that only listen to the mainstream media and scientists who are fed grants from the government like a heard of sheep that cannot make a decision on their own and follow their political position and lack of faith. And it's not entirely your fault since you have no formal education and understanding of science.

Let's be clear, here:

1. I have not trotted out my bona fides regarding my scientific knowledge (if any), so you're merely farting into the wind on that assumption.

2. No matter what my qualifications, it would still not change your opinion, so it's futile to get into a "measuring contest." (Such a guy thing.)

3. Your science background is meaningless in this discussion, because you are not a climatologist. While you may understand general scientific principles, you do not understand what climatologists do. As a scientist, I might be a great physicist, but have no deep understanding of chemistry, except for basic principles that overlap into my discipline. And while you might have a deep understanding of chemical processes, you could not hang with me in a discussion of wave diffraction and condensed matter. Neither of us, nor anyone here, is a climatologist. So quit trotting out your science credentials, as they are meaningless in this discussion. What you are doing is a logical fallacy called an "appeal to authority," which basically says, "I know more than you, so I'm right and you're wrong."

Quote:
So in agreement- you are correct that believers who are aligned to a certain political side will never change their minds regardless of facts that are found to be contradicted (which there have been many cases and manipulated hockey puck graphs to give one example), many end of the world predictions along with animal extinction predictions that have not come true that were intended to scare the less informed who have no understanding of the real science.

Again:

1. Some of us (particularly in the political middle and middle-left) adjust our politics based on evidence, and are more than willing to fashion our politics to match the facts; while others, such as yourself, seem to want to fashion the facts to fit your politics.

2. Your statement about predictions is untrue and is used in another logical fallacy. Many such predictions have come true; many have not come true because the warnings were heeded and changes were made (e.g., DDT); many were overtaken by technology but would have come true absent such advances. You offer no evidence to support your statement that these unnamed predictions were made without regard to their truth (or with knowing falsity) for the purpose of frightening "the less informed." So, again, you argue a logical fallacy. You state a false fact and then argue that because some predictions (which were merely intended to frighten) did not come true, climate predictions are not true. That may or may not be the case, but it does not follow from your logical fallacy.

1). Um, Yea. Sure. Based on evidence. Evidfence that you don't even understand. Ok.

2)Read below: and this is just the tip of the iceburg (no pun intended)

Ten years after Al Gore's "Inconvenient Truth" guilt/fear producing predictions, let's close by examining just how accurate his "science" proved to be on his way to the bank.

1. Rising Sea Levels—inaccurate and misleading. Al was even discovered purchasing a beachfront mansion!

2. Increased Tornadoes—declining for decades.

3. New Ice Age in Europe—they've been spared; it never happened.

4. South Sahara Drying Up—completely untrue.

5. Massive Flooding in China and India—again, didn't happen.

6. Melting Arctic—false—2015 represents the largest refreezing in years.

7. Polar Bear Extinction—actually they are increasing!

8. Temperature Increases Due to CO2—no significant rising for over 18 years

9. Katrina a Foreshadow of the Future—false—past 10 years, no F3 hurricanes; "longest drought ever!"

10. The Earth Would be in a "True Planetary Emergency" Within a Decade Unless Drastic Action Taken to Reduce Greenhouse Gasses—never happened.

A while back, the Washington Post stated in an expose that, "Al Gore has thrived as a green-tech investor." Coincidental?

In conclusion: MANY failed predictions! Take your political agenda elsewhere Danaruns.

Just poped by to mention this because I felt it is important.

I thought this list of Al Gores's mistakes seemed familiar when I found it while looking for information from the web about GW and then I remembered RNK sharing it while back without any refence where he got it. You can find it right next to an article named "John Hopkins scientists offer absolute proof gay agenda's 'born this way" is a lie". (Dannydoyle: now that's one agenda you can count me in!)

Check it out:

http://www.charismanews.com/opinion/here......-warming

Now that text is a good example of bad referencing.

Anyway - now we know.

Have a good one everybody!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So you popped in to attack a source, and attack RNK, but not offer productive conversation? Yes that was really important.

Does this mean the list is somehow flawed? If so then tell me how. But attacking the source just to do so according to many you agree worry process you have no point.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Quote:
On Sep 5, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
So you popped in to attack a source, and attack RNK, but not offer productive conversation? Yes that was really important.

Does this mean the list is somehow flawed? If so then tell me how. But attacking the source just to do so according to many you agree worry process you have no point.

Danny, take the lead. Be the example for us all. Posit your solutions for us.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think electric cars are the first step. A darn good first step. Used to be they got 3 miles. Now the Tesla goes well over 200 without charging. Using solar power is a good step. These technologies exist.

Heck I lived in a part of the country that didn't recycle! Crazy.

Hybrid car tech is another great step. Propane cars are used in the Dominican Republic and many busses use them.

Simple easy to reach goals that are progress. Keep moving tech forward. That will be the biggest thing we can do PLUS we get rid of oil barrons in power all over the world.

We can stop drilling and fraking and move forward with renewable energy.

Let's get rid of that island of plastic in the ocean. It doesn't belong.

Let's make the penalties HUGE for those caught polluting our rivers and lakes. If we all just leave this planet a little cleaner than we found it and teach our children to do the same it will all work itself out. Why should we be the first generation that doesn't progress in technology? Being stuck in the internal combustion engine is silly. Elon Musk is on the right track.

Look at all the energy efficient ways to heat and cool and do all those things in your house now. They save you money long term and help the planet. Recycled building materials, energy efficient appliances and all that help little by little. We need to make small attainable goals. We have made so many advancements in tech and we need to apply it to energy.

All of that said without attacking anyone or trying to scare people.

Your turn. Of course unless all you have is attacking me and pretending you are the smartest in the room.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Gorlzax
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Gorlzax
Quote:

Why so defensive immediately? I was just telling like it is. For me it matters where people get their information. And I think it makes the discussion more informative to know the sources that people use. that's all.

Hey, lot of great ideas you shared with us in that other post. Many ideas sound a lot like what I posted earlier:

Here:

[quote]On Sep 3, 2016, Gorlzax wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
The questions that are pertinent are the following
1) What do you propose to do?
2) What will it cost to implement?
3) What will be the benefit of doing so?

Nobody wants to answer these simple questions.

Great questions! But what do you mean when you say that nobody wants to answer these questions? These are the fundamental questions people are dealing with around the world, every day! My guess is that it is the other way around - there are some people who don't want to hear the answers. Still here goes:

1) What do you propose to do?

This is easily a trick question. Somebody might read it as if nothing had done yet! But there has been, plenty! And we need to keep going into that direction!

What are nations doing to fight climate change:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Uni......nference

Here is many answers to what you can, as an individual, do:
https://youtu.be/VTfgNFz1DBM

And I would add, that eating less meat and changing to a more vegetatian dietary is also necessary. Not just for GW but so that there would be enough food for everybody in this world.

2) What will it cost to implement?

As you can see we are dealing with smaller day to day choises and also bigger how do we produce energy, how do we produce our food, where and in what kind of houses do we live changes. So hard to put one price on that. Also if looking from the past, with just worried for the loss of the old technology and old solutions, one might not see the possibilites in the new. People are saying that green energy is just a big business! Well I sure hope so - and hope it becomes even bigger. Oil has been one the biggest businesses of modern times, I hope it will be something else from now on. Even the oil companies are waking up to this:

BP, the largest oil company in the UK and one of the largest in the world, has this opinion:
"There is an increasing consensus that climate change is linked to the consumption of carbon based fuels and that action is required now to avoid further increases in carbon emissions as the global demand for energy increases."

Shell Oil (yes, as in oil, the fossil fuel) says:
"Shell shares the widespread concern that the emission of greenhouse gases from human activities is leading to changes in the global climate."

3) What will be the benefit of doing so?

Lets say that for a moment we agree that GW is caused humans putting so much greenhouse gas into the atmosphere. Ok? From this perspective, is your question that what will it benefit that we put LESS greenhouse gas into the atmosphere? So if one cant get around the fact that we have an impact on this matter, then I guess there isn't anything that can be said about the benefits to act on climate change. But then again if one understands the impact we have on climate then it is just the most obvious thing to act on it. [quote]

That was written when I was in the wrong conclusion that you didn't agree with the man made GW. Now I now better!

And here:

[quote]"Again, there is this trick question quality to your question: like we werent already doing the things we need to do. We are! Exclamation intended. We just need to keep doing it more and more. There already is for example, in many countries, emission tax which encourages companies to go green. There are areas where private motoring is not allowed so you need to use the public transportation, which is made completely free in some citys. In my country we already recycle most of our carbage, to energy waste, bio waste, paper, plastic, glass and finally the mixed waste that can not be utilized. In many finnish schools there is vegetarian food day at least once a week. So more than punishments and penalties it is about education, its about awareness and its about encouragement. that's how it works here."
[quote]
Its a real bummer that you felt back then that I didn't answer in any way to your questions. I was really trying to.

But like I said, lot of great ideas you got there! Now it really is just about moving forward, like you say.

All the best!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

The basic health / nutrition dieoff plan seems timed at about fifty years. How do you fix a lightbulb etc. Still, the nuclear option shows some dramatic appeal to zealous conservation.

Back to petty finger pointing?
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Quote:
I think electric cars are the first step. A darn good first step. Used to be they got 3 miles. Now the Tesla goes well over 200 without charging. Using solar power is a good step. These technologies exist.

Heck I lived in a part of the country that didn't recycle! Crazy.

Hybrid car tech is another great step. Propane cars are used in the Dominican Republic and many busses use them.

Simple easy to reach goals that are progress. Keep moving tech forward. That will be the biggest thing we can do PLUS we get rid of oil barrons in power all over the world.

We can stop drilling and fraking and move forward with renewable energy.

Let's get rid of that island of plastic in the ocean. It doesn't belong.

Let's make the penalties HUGE for those caught polluting our rivers and lakes. If we all just leave this planet a little cleaner than we found it and teach our children to do the same it will all work itself out. Why should we be the first generation that doesn't progress in technology? Being stuck in the internal combustion engine is silly. Elon Musk is on the right track.

Look at all the energy efficient ways to heat and cool and do all those things in your house now. They save you money long term and help the planet. Recycled building materials, energy efficient appliances and all that help little by little. We need to make small attainable goals. We have made so many advancements in tech and we need to apply it to energy.

All of that said without attacking anyone or trying to scare people.

Your turn. Of course unless all you have is attacking me and pretending you are the smartest in the room.

It was a great post, right up until your last sentence. Couldn't resist, though, could you? It's your "thing," and by doing it you're doing precisely what you accuse me of doing. Projection much?

Aside from that, I love all those ideas and share them, even if they are not all related to global warming. But of course, the USA, though the worst polluter, is not the solution by itself. We need the rest of the world to participate. Especially China. And lo and behold, the USA and China have both just signed onto the Kyoto Accord. That's a good start. I don't think there is such a thing as international forced compliance; I think there is influence and one's national interests, and those can be used to push first world and emerging nations in the right direction. But the whole world has to go farther. Much farther.

Here at home, implementing your ideas, and some others, will require heavy lifting. The climate change deniers (hey, if you have a better term, I'm open to it) have a loud voice supported by major industries and very deep pockets. The problem is overcoming their objections. And frankly, I don't think that's possible, at least in the present climate (no pun intended). The culture needs changing in order to overcome the deniers and their backers. 30 years ago we heard the same arguments about cigarettes not causing health problems. Somehow, that was overcome, and changes were able to be made. I wish I knew how to do that with GW.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 5, 2016, danaruns wrote:
... great post, right up until your last sentence. Couldn't resist, though, could you? It's your "thing," ...

mmmm bacon.

gotta see about buying pork belly futures. Love the smell of sizzling bacon.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..28..53..78..103..125~126~127~128~129..149..168..187..206..224~225~226 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL