The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..37..71..105..139..173~174~175~176~177..187..196..205..214..223..224~225~226 [Next]
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2017, tommy wrote:
Ron if you are not a climate expert then how do you know what a climate expert is?

Tommy, are you a doctor? Then how do you know what a doctor is?
Are you an auto mechanic? Then how do you know what an auto mechanic is?
Are you a math professor? Then how do you know what a math professor is?
Are you an astronaut? Then how do you know what an astronaut is?

One doesn't necessarily have to BE something in order to know what that something is.

I would think that the longstanding and prestigious organizations I listed carry some cachet in regards to their conclusions about the climate. If you have more and BETTER sources than those I listed, please let us know. Thanks.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Maybe this will clear things up.

https://www.google.com.mx/amp/s/wattsupw......ist/amp/

I doubt it. In regards to Anthony Watts, the blogger you linked to:

https://www.desmogblog.com/anthony-watts

Quote:
Anthony Watts is a former television meteorologist best known as the founder and editor of the blog Watts Up With That (WUWT), which primarily publishes articles attacking climate change science and spreading misinformation. [1]

According to leaked documents released in 2012, Watts has received funding from the Heartland Institute. [4]

Watts previously worked as an on-air meteorologist for WLFI-TV in Lafayette, Indiana, and later joined KHSK-TV in 1987. In 2002, Watts left his position as a television weatherman to devote time to his private business, ITWorks. He returned to work part-time at KHSL in 2004, and has also been the chief meteorologist for KPAY-AM (an affiliate of Fox News) since 2002. [5], [6]

Watts admits “I'm not a degreed climate scientist” at WUWT. His primary credential appears to be an American Meteorological Society Seal of Approval. This does not mean that Watts is “AMS Certified” as some sources have inaccurately claimed. The AMS Seal of Approval is a discontinued credential that does not require a bachelor's or higher degree in atmospheric science or meteorology. [7], [8], [9]

Watts's “About” page mentions neither his Purdue attendance nor whether he graduated. Email correspondence between SourceWatch and Purdue University confirm he attended from August, 1975 to May, 1982, however Registrar staff also confirm it is safe to assume that Watts attained no qualification from the university.

What's odd Danny, is that you claim to believe in human induced climate change, yet you post like a denier. So, just like the page you posted to, "what's up with that"?

Ron
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2017, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2017, R.S. wrote:
Not sure what you consider "hysteria", but I agree that some of that is overblown (i.e. end-of-the-world scenarios). So we're actually not that far apart after all. Thanks Rockwall.

(and again, I would change my views if the science warrants it)

Ron

If you think that because I believe that the climate is changing (and has always changed) and that Man has probably had some part in it means that we're not "all that far apart after all", then I'm surprised that you don't think you're not that far apart from almost every other "denier" out there. I'm pretty sure 99% of them would be willing to make the same statement.

The key word is "denier". Thanks Rockwall.

Ron
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2017, The Hermit wrote:
For all the climate change supporters, riddle me this. All of the predictive models to date have been wrong. They are all off. Why then should anyone believe any of this?

https://object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/f......35_2.pdf One example.

I know they're libertarian, but the guys are climate scientists as opposed to say Bill Nye and Al Gore.

1981 Climate Change Predictions Were Eerily Accurate
https://www.universetoday.com/94468/1981......ccurate/

and,

How reliable are climate models?
What the science says...
https://www.skepticalscience.com/climate-models.htm

Ron
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2017, R.S. wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Anthony Watts is a former television meteorologist best known as the founder and editor of the blog Watts Up With That (WUWT), which primarily publishes articles attacking climate change science and spreading misinformation. [1]

According to leaked documents released in 2012, Watts has received funding from the Heartland Institute. [4]

Watts previously worked as an on-air meteorologist for WLFI-TV in Lafayette, Indiana, and later joined KHSK-TV in 1987. In 2002, Watts left his position as a television weatherman to devote time to his private business, ITWorks. He returned to work part-time at KHSL in 2004, and has also been the chief meteorologist for KPAY-AM (an affiliate of Fox News) since 2002. [5], [6]

Watts admits “I'm not a degreed climate scientist” at WUWT. His primary credential appears to be an American Meteorological Society Seal of Approval. This does not mean that Watts is “AMS Certified” as some sources have inaccurately claimed. The AMS Seal of Approval is a discontinued credential that does not require a bachelor's or higher degree in atmospheric science or meteorology. [7], [8], [9]

Watts's “About” page mentions neither his Purdue attendance nor whether he graduated. Email correspondence between SourceWatch and Purdue University confirm he attended from August, 1975 to May, 1982, however Registrar staff also confirm it is safe to assume that Watts attained no qualification from the university.

What's odd Danny, is that you claim to believe in human induced climate change, yet you post like a denier. So, just like the page you posted to, "what's up with that"?

Ron

More attacking the messenger huh? Dunt dispute what he I said just attack him. This is always the first clue I have to know he is right.

There is a long field between knowing science and falling fir the bs you spout I am sorry to tell you.

I can think the climate change and man can cause it and not believe in lock step doomsday scenarios.

Again it is simply use as a method to push ideology that can't win at the ballot box.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Ron, out of all those groups you listed, how many actually measured the climate condition from lets say a thousand or ten thousand years ago? Or do they just use the numbers they get from a small handful of people? To me that is what’s so scary about science; reports that use numbers from other reports are really useless.

Tom
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2017, TomBoleware wrote:
Ron, out of all those groups you listed, how many actually measured the climate condition from lets say a thousand or ten thousand years ago? Or do they just use the numbers they get from a small handful of people? To me that is what’s so scary about science; reports that use numbers from other reports are really useless.

Tom

Have you read any of the reports before deciding what's "scary"?

That's what's scary about populist politics. People who have no clue about the data and science are encouraged to have strong opinions and then vote for candidates who also have no clue about the data and the science.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Some do share numbers and that’s why I’m ASKING do they all do that?

But no, I would never vote for a scientist.

Tom
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I was not talking about “continental drift” nor “seasons” both of which are Ed’s terms and misinterpretations attributed to me, none of which I said.

Because of the Earth’s orbit and wobble, the continents are ever-moving in relation to the Sun, as are all things of Earth.

As a result, we have an ever-changing climate, wherein we have ever-changing ice ages and warm ages. Therefore, then, after an ice age for a long time, we get Global Warming.

–which is an altogether different thing than continental drift, which is movements in relation to each other, due to the inner heat of the Earth but that does also have its effects.

The issue anyhow before us is if mankind is trapping the Sun's heat and causing catastrophic greenhouse effects from burning too much stuff.

“Catastrophic greenhouse effects” from burning too much stuff are not now merely global warming but 101 other things according to the believers. If the Earth went into an ice tomorrow then the believers would call it climate change and blame mankind for it.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
Tom

Why not?
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Ron, if you are going to answer a question with a question then kindly do so on the answer a question with a question thread.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2017, R.S. wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Ron

More attacking the messenger huh? Dunt dispute what he I said just attack him. This is always the first clue I have to know he is right.

There is a long field between knowing science and falling fir the bs you spout I am sorry to tell you.

I can think the climate change and man can cause it and not believe in lock step doomsday scenarios.

Again it is simply use as a method to push ideology that can't win at the ballot box.

Why would you favor the opinion of some blogger who admits that he is "not a degreed climate scientist” over the conclusions of the organizations I listed?

And what "bs" am I spouting exactly? I thought we agreed that human induced climate change is a real thing. Now it's "bs"??? And who's talking about "ideology at the ballot box"? Please, get a hold of yourself.

Ron
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2017, tommy wrote:
I was not talking about “continental drift” nor “seasons” both of which are Ed’s terms and misinterpretations attributed to me, none of which I said.

Because of the Earth’s orbit and wobble, the continents are ever-moving in relation to the Sun, as are all things of Earth.

As a result, we have an ever-changing climate, wherein we have ever-changing ice ages and warm ages. Therefore, then, after an ice age for a long time, we get Global Warming.

–which is an altogether different thing than continental drift, which is movements in relation to each other, due to the inner heat of the Earth but that does also have its effects.

The issue anyhow before us is if mankind is trapping the Sun's heat and causing catastrophic greenhouse effects from burning too much stuff.

“Catastrophic greenhouse effects” from burning too much stuff are not now merely global warming but 101 other things according to the believers. If the Earth went into an ice tomorrow then the believers would call it climate change and blame mankind for it.

My apologies then for misunderstanding your obscure references. I do understand that climate varies, extreme variations appear to have outside influences. One year in the 1800's was referred to as "The Year Without A Summer" the general weather being so bad. It wasn't until years later that someone put two and two together and realize that that local problem was actually caused by the eruption of Krakatoa (which apparently is WEST of Java, not East. I don't know why they got it wrong.) The thing being, that kind of interference is short lived and passes, our interference with the atmosphere is on going .
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok what solution do you propose SPECIFICALLY Ron?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:

Tom

How many would it take to convince you? If your requirement was met, would you then accept that human induced climate change is real?

Anyway, these links explain how past climate is measured...

https://www.scienceabc.com/eyeopeners/ho......ago.html

http://io9.gizmodo.com/how-do-scientists......14597561

https://www.windows2universe.org/?page=/......ate.html

https://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/briefs/schmidt_01/

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/news/how-do-sc......climates

https://scholarsandrogues.com/2012/01/28......old-air/

So you think science is scary? And that reports that might use numbers from other reports are "useless"? If that's true, then our whole education system, which is primarily based on the reporting of facts obtained and handed down from other "reports", is useless. Does that make sense?

And by the way, science is a process. It's not a menu of static, never-changing facts. I'm not sure you fully understand this important point.

Ron
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2017, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:
Tom

Why not?

Yes... why not??

Ron
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Your religious fervour is funny to watch.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Science to further politics is scary.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2017, tommy wrote:
Ron, if you are going to answer a question with a question then kindly do so on the answer a question with a question thread.

Tommy, the question was answered.

Ron
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Ok what solution do you propose SPECIFICALLY Ron?

Great Danny - that's a valid question!

I DON'T propose a solution. I don't think there is an easy solution. I know that it's complicated. I'm still forming my opinion on the best approach. BUT... we can't even begin to talk about solutions until there is agreement that climate change is a real thing! And THAT has been my only motivation for my posts. I hope that clears things up.

Ron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..37..71..105..139..173~174~175~176~177..187..196..205..214..223..224~225~226 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL