The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..45..87..129..171..212~213~214~215~216..224~225~226 [Next]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Yesterday's news:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/......ientists

This could get more interesting...
Quote:
A sharp and mysterious rise in emissions of a key ozone-destroying chemical has been detected by scientists, despite its production being banned around the world. [...] Even just the publicity about the new CFC-11 production could lead to its shutdown, he said: “Somebody who was maybe doing it purposefully will realise – oh, someone is paying attention – and stop doing it.”
...to all the coins I've dropped here
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
"Did You Know the Greatest Two-Year Global Cooling Event Just Took Place?"

https://www.realclearmarkets.com/article......243.html

"My point is that statistical cooling outliers garner no media attention. The global average temperature numbers come out monthly. If they show a new hottest year on record, that's a big story. If they show a big increase over the previous month, or the same month in the previous year, that's a story. If they represent a sequence of warming months or years, that's a story. When they show cooling of any sort—and there have been more cooling months than warming months since anthropogenic warming began—there's no story."

hmmmm. But yeah, no bias in the press whatsoever.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On May 17, 2018, rockwall wrote:
...no bias in the press whatsoever.

In the 70s it was ice age fearmongering. Trendy self-loathing and vague cosmic casuisty remain workable attention grabbers. "Scientist detect signs of new paradigm..."
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Https://www.investors.com/politics/edito......ia-bias/

"Just had two years of record breaking cooling"

The article also talks about how climate models exaggerate global warming from CO2 emissions by as much as 45%. And a few other things that you don't hear in the main stream media.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On May 18, 2018, RNK wrote:
Https://www.investors.com/politics/edito......ia-bias/

"Just had two years of record breaking cooling"

The article also talks about how climate models exaggerate global warming from CO2 emissions by as much as 45%. And a few other things that you don't hear in the main stream media.

Just to keep things in perspective, the article does say:

"That's not to say that a two-year stretch of cooling means that global warming is a hoax."

Furthermore, Aaron Brown, the author referenced in the article, is a financial author - NOT a climate scientist. The piece is an editorial - basically, it's just his opinion. The numerous links in the article (or at least the ones I clicked on) simply point to other editorials in this same publication (Investors Business Daily), and not to external scientific documents.

This is cherry picked data for sure. A non climate scientist looked for a slice of data in an overall trend of warming in an attempt to discredit climate science.

If you want to know what NASA says, since that's who the article references, go straight to the horses mouth - not to an agenda driven publication like 'Investors Business Daily'. The below link shows that both NASA and NOAA data show 2016 to be the warmest year globally:

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-......globally

It also notes that 16 of the 17 warmest years on record occurred post 2001. And if there was a cooling trend from Feb. 2016 to Feb. 2018 as your article says, then how could 2016 have become the warmest year on record??!!!

So, the bottom line is... don't get financial advice from NASA and don't get science advice from 'Investors Business Daily'. Smile

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I enjoy the way nothing that agrees with Ron is "agenda driven".
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:
This is cherry picked data for sure. A non climate scientist looked for a slice of data in an overall trend of warming in an attempt to discredit climate science.

If you want to know what NASA says, since that's who the article references, go straight to the horses mouth - not to an agenda driven publication like 'Investors Business Daily'. The below link shows that both NASA and NOAA data show 2016 to be the warmest year globally:

It also notes that 16 of the 17 warmest years on record occurred post 2001. And if there was a cooling trend from Feb. 2016 to Feb. 2018 as your article says, then how could 2016 have become the warmest year on record??!!!

So, the bottom line is... don't get financial advice from NASA and don't get science advice from 'Investors Business Daily'. Smile

Ron

BINGO WE HAVE A WINNER! That's what all the deniers do. Question is why? I suspect it's cause they don't want to be regulated and don't care what they do to the environment?
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On May 18, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
... I suspect it's cause they don't want to be regulated and ...

pay for more expensive unproductive fussing.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On May 18, 2018, R.S. wrote:

"That's not to say that a two-year stretch of cooling means that global warming is a hoax."

Furthermore, Aaron Brown, the author referenced in the article, is a financial author - NOT a climate scientist. The piece is an editorial - basically, it's just his opinion. The numerous links in the article (or at least the ones I clicked on) simply point to other editorials in this same publication (Investors Business Daily), and not to external scientific documents.

Well, yes, Aaron Brown is not a climate scientist. Which is why he references reports done by climate scientists. It doesn't take much effort to click through to his links to find the reports that he DOES reference but seeing as how you're a bit too lazy to do it yourself, I'll provide them here.

https://www.nature.com/articles/ngeo3031......nt.co.uk

https://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.......er-1.pdf

Also, as you noted in your quote above, neither article is an attempt to disprove AGW. Both articles are used to point out the bias and hypocrisy of the press. Is it your opinion that someone needs to be a climate scientist to point out the press's bias?
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On May 18, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:

Do you deny that that article is agenda driven?

Ron
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On May 18, 2018, rockwall wrote:
Quote:

Well, yes, Aaron Brown is not a climate scientist. Which is why he references reports done by climate scientists. It doesn't take much effort to click through to his links to find the reports that he DOES reference but seeing as how you're a bit too lazy to do it yourself, I'll provide them here.

https://www.nature.com/articles/ngeo3031......nt.co.uk

https://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.......er-1.pdf

Also, as you noted in your quote above, neither article is an attempt to disprove AGW. Both articles are used to point out the bias and hypocrisy of the press. Is it your opinion that someone needs to be a climate scientist to point out the press's bias?

Which of those links on the main page of RNKs article did NOT point to another Investors Business Daily page?? Even so, the article loses credibility right off the bat when it tries to discredit climate science by touting "We Just Had Two Years Of Record-Breaking Global Cooling", when 2016 was the warmest year ever recorded!! So you tell me, how could 2016 be both a record cooling year AND simultaneously the warmest year ever recorded? Using faulty data (or using irrelevant cherry-picked data) does not demonstrate media bias. If anything, it demonstrates the bias of the article.

Speaking of laziness, did you go to the NASA and NOAA sites to review their data? Don't you think they would be among the very best sources of climate information?

Ron
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
Quote:

Ron

Do you deny that the media is agenda driven?
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:

Speaking of laziness, did you go to the NASA and NOAA sites to review their data? Don't you think they would be among the very best sources of climate information?

Ron

Of course I did. I guess you didn't.

Here is a link to the data from the NASA site. (Of course you'll have to click through the NASA link that is provided in the article to get to the actual data which may be why it was too difficult for you to do.)

https://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/tabledata_v3/GLB.Ts.txt

It appears to say pretty much exactly what the article claims.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
Quote:

Ron

Of course I did. I guess you didn't.

Here is a link to the data from the NASA site. (Of course you'll have to click through the NASA link that is provided in the article to get to the actual data which may be why it was too difficult for you to do.)

https://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/tabledata_v3/GLB.Ts.txt

It appears to say pretty much exactly what the article claims.

It's not clear how to interpret that chart. The NASA site I referred to was the link I posted. Is that where you got the chart?

Anyway, the headline to RNKs article proclaims "We Just Had Two Years Of Record-Breaking Global Cooling". But the NASA and NOAA data shows that 2016 was the warmest year on record globally. See here:

NASA, NOAA Data Show 2016 Warmest Year on Record Globally

So how do you reconcile that discrepancy? RNK's article seems more designed to play down climate concern than to present unbiased science (which is not surprising given the publication the article came from).

Ron
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ron

Did someone move the "answer the question with a question" thread over here?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ron

Depends. Most, yes. But certainly some are more agenda driven than others.

Ron
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:

Ron

Of course not. There is very little that is NOT agenda driven. (including your posts and my posts.)
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
It's not clear how to interpret that chart. The NASA site I referred to was the link I posted. Is that where you got the chart?
Ron

I got the chart from here:

https://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/

Is that good enough for you?

Quote:
t's not clear how to interpret that chart ...
Ron

Hey, you're the one who insisted we use NASA's data. If you can't figure it out, that sounds like a personal problem.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Stirring the pot seems kinda counterproductive when worried about heat.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
Anyway, the headline to RNKs article proclaims "We Just Had Two Years Of Record-Breaking Global Cooling". But the NASA and NOAA data shows that 2016 was the warmest year on record globally. See here:

NASA, NOAA Data Show 2016 Warmest Year on Record Globally

So how do you reconcile that discrepancy?

There are actually a number of ways to easily reconcile that mathematically. I'll leave that simple exercise up to you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..45..87..129..171..212~213~214~215~216..224~225~226 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL