We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..14..25..36..47..55~56~57~58~59..93..126..159..192..224~225~226 [Next]
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3549 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2015, tommy wrote:
Skeptic does not mean him who doubts, but him who investigates or researches as opposed to him who asserts and thinks that he has found. [Miguel de Unamuno, "Essays and Soliloquies," 1924]

skep·tic
ˈskeptik/Submit
noun
a person inclined to question or doubt all accepted opinions.
synonyms: cynic, doubter; More
PHILOSOPHY
an ancient or modern philosopher who denies the possibility of knowledge, or even rational belief, in some sphere.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Skeptic (n.) Look up skeptic at Dictionary.com
also sceptic, 1580s, "member of an ancient Greek school that doubted the possibility of real knowledge," from Middle French sceptique and directly from Latin scepticus "the sect of the Skeptics," from Greek skeptikos (plural Skeptikoi "the Skeptics, followers of Pyrrho"), noun use of adjective meaning "inquiring, reflective" (the name taken by the disciples of the Greek philosopher Pyrrho, who lived c. 360-c. 270 B.C.E.), related to skeptesthai "to reflect, look, view" (see scope (n.1)).
Skeptic does not mean him who doubts, but him who investigates or researches as opposed to him who asserts and thinks that he has found. [Miguel de Unamuno, "Essays and Soliloquies," 1924]
The extended sense of "one with a doubting attitude" first recorded 1610s. The sk- spelling is an early 17c. Greek revival and is preferred in U.S. As a verb, scepticize (1690s) failed to catch on
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
I find Miguel de Unamunos' interpretation to be more accurate.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Anyway, where is my friend Bob?

Tommy
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17687 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2015, tommy wrote:

FUNNY STUFF!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5522 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2015, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2015, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2015, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2015, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2015, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
I find it interesting that they are now using spiritual leaders like the Pope to send their message. "Come on, Padre, get on board with this one. They believe that line about Christ rising from the dead, they'll buy ANYTHING from you!"

Who is "they"?? More to the point though, how do you know that Christ isn't working through the Pope to send a warning about our climate?

Ron

Why is Ron even part of this discussion? I thought you were an atheist Ron? Now you mention Christ, divine intervention etc... when the Pope agrees with your agenda? LOL. Now this is funny!

Hi RNK,

That's true, I am a non-believer. But I can still pose the question to the believers, can't I? Smile So, if you're a believer, would YOU like to answer the question? I'd really like to know what you think.

My agenda is science. So I think the Pope got it right on this one. But I'd probably disagree with him on many other issues. And as someone who is outside of the religious bubble looking in, I find it fascinating how fervently many of the religious-minded will assert the Pope's divine authority - as long as his proclamations align with their political/personal views. Otherwise, he's "just a man" - and a man who is wrong to boot. Now THAT, my friend, is funny!

Ron

Of course you think the Pope got it right because he supports the shady science of GW and your sides agenda. And No- not funny at all. What is funny is that anyone in their right mind would think ANY human being has divine authority. That is absolutely absurd! I don't care what issues the Pope discusses and my viewpoint will never change about him being just like you and me no matter what issues he was discussing whether I agreed with him or not.

If the Pope lives for ever and never sinned in his life, OK- I would agree he would be divine. If not, he is just like you and me.

How is the consensus scientific view of GW "shady"? Are organizations like NASA, the American Meteorological Society, the U.S. National Academy of Sciences, the American Chemical Society, the American Physical Society, the American Geophysical Union, etc. in some sort of massive conspiracy? Why did the right-wing Koch funded climate study issue a report in support of climate change and make a believer of physicist Richard Muller, who led the study and was a denier until the data came in? That being said, I accept the possibility that there could be a massive conspiracy, or the vast majority of scientists could be wrong (albeit unlikely). So I am willing to change my views in the face of compelling evidence. For the time being though, I'll put my trust in the (fairly formidable to this point) scientific consensus. Furthermore, I don't see how science can be considered an "agenda". In fact, if there is an agenda, it seems to be coming mostly from the right.

As far as the Pope, do you deny that many religious-minded people view him as having some sort of special connection/relationship to God, and therefore having the unique ability to speak directly on behalf of God? Not everybody of course, but some do. Wherever he goes, he is swarmed and adored by massive throngs of people, many trying to get close to him and touch him. They want him to kiss/bless their babies, they weep in his presence, and they exclaim their devotion to him. And some even claim miracles after their encounter with him. So, in the minds of many religious people, the Pope is certainly "special" amongst humans. But anyway, are you a theist? If so, I'd really like to know how you would answer my question; "how do you know that Christ isn't working through the Pope to send a warning about our climate?" Thanks RNK!

Ron

If you read the bible Ron you would clearly see where it talks about beware of men in robes claiming divination. It goes on to talk about how only I (God) is divine.

And no the pope is NOT special. NO human is more special than another. We are ALL created by God and God does not make one human special and others not. To think anything else is just absurd. And No, God does not speak to the pope any differently than he does anybody else. that's a falsehood the Catholic church wants people to believe which is sad and disturbing. Also in the bible it talks about the believers and how its ALL our jobs to live accordingly to Gods will and ALL our jobs to spread the good word. It NEVER mentions about there being ONE special person who I (God) will only work through. If you are not a believer and a practicing/studying believer then its impossible for you to understand this.

After reading and understanding the bible I left the Catholic church because of how they view the Pope. I now go to an Assembly of God church regularly.

And as far as GW. As I stated many times, to just read what some scientists say and not fully understand the data and many different variables that go with interpreting the data when you have no science background, I can see how you would believe them. I am a scientist that has background in paleoclimatology and have spoken to some very well respected scientists and professors in my studies who do understand and do not believe in GW. Even to paraphrase what they think would just take to much time to post and you wouldn't understand it anyway since you are not a scientist with a true understanding of the processes that go into the data collection and evaluation to which scientists draw their conclusions.
The Hermit
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I find it interesting that they are now using spiritual leaders like the Pope to send their message. "Come on, Padre, get on board with this one. They believe that line about Christ rising from the dead, they'll buy ANYTHING from you!"

Who is "they"?? More to the point though, how do you know that Christ isn't working through the Pope to send a warning about our climate?

Ron

Why is Ron even part of this discussion? I thought you were an atheist Ron? Now you mention Christ, divine intervention etc... when the Pope agrees with your agenda? LOL. Now this is funny!

Hi RNK,

That's true, I am a non-believer. But I can still pose the question to the believers, can't I? Smile So, if you're a believer, would YOU like to answer the question? I'd really like to know what you think.

My agenda is science. So I think the Pope got it right on this one. But I'd probably disagree with him on many other issues. And as someone who is outside of the religious bubble looking in, I find it fascinating how fervently many of the religious-minded will assert the Pope's divine authority - as long as his proclamations align with their political/personal views. Otherwise, he's "just a man" - and a man who is wrong to boot. Now THAT, my friend, is funny!

Ron

Of course you think the Pope got it right because he supports the shady science of GW and your sides agenda. And No- not funny at all. What is funny is that anyone in their right mind would think ANY human being has divine authority. That is absolutely absurd! I don't care what issues the Pope discusses and my viewpoint will never change about him being just like you and me no matter what issues he was discussing whether I agreed with him or not.

If the Pope lives for ever and never sinned in his life, OK- I would agree he would be divine. If not, he is just like you and me.

How is the consensus scientific view of GW "shady"? Are organizations like NASA, the American Meteorological Society, the U.S. National Academy of Sciences, the American Chemical Society, the American Physical Society, the American Geophysical Union, etc. in some sort of massive conspiracy? Why did the right-wing Koch funded climate study issue a report in support of climate change and make a believer of physicist Richard Muller, who led the study and was a denier until the data came in? That being said, I accept the possibility that there could be a massive conspiracy, or the vast majority of scientists could be wrong (albeit unlikely). So I am willing to change my views in the face of compelling evidence. For the time being though, I'll put my trust in the (fairly formidable to this point) scientific consensus. Furthermore, I don't see how science can be considered an "agenda". In fact, if there is an agenda, it seems to be coming mostly from the right.

As far as the Pope, do you deny that many religious-minded people view him as having some sort of special connection/relationship to God, and therefore having the unique ability to speak directly on behalf of God? Not everybody of course, but some do. Wherever he goes, he is swarmed and adored by massive throngs of people, many trying to get close to him and touch him. They want him to kiss/bless their babies, they weep in his presence, and they exclaim their devotion to him. And some even claim miracles after their encounter with him. So, in the minds of many religious people, the Pope is certainly "special" amongst humans. But anyway, are you a theist? If so, I'd really like to know how you would answer my question; "how do you know that Christ isn't working through the Pope to send a warning about our climate?" Thanks RNK!

Ron

Can he send me next week's lottery numbers? Does Jesus often send messages through other people? If so, I got a bunch of questions for him.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2015, RNK wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ron

Hi RNK,

Ron

Ron

If you read the bible Ron you would clearly see where it talks about beware of men in robes claiming divination. It goes on to talk about how only I (God) is divine.

And no the pope is NOT special. NO human is more special than another. We are ALL created by God and God does not make one human special and others not. To think anything else is just absurd. And No, God does not speak to the pope any differently than he does anybody else. that's a falsehood the Catholic church wants people to believe which is sad and disturbing. Also in the bible it talks about the believers and how its ALL our jobs to live accordingly to Gods will and ALL our jobs to spread the good word. It NEVER mentions about there being ONE special person who I (God) will only work through. If you are not a believer and a practicing/studying believer then its impossible for you to understand this.

After reading and understanding the bible I left the Catholic church because of how they view the Pope. I now go to an Assembly of God church regularly.

And as far as GW. As I stated many times, to just read what some scientists say and not fully understand the data and many different variables that go with interpreting the data when you have no science background, I can see how you would believe them. I am a scientist that has background in paleoclimatology and have spoken to some very well respected scientists and professors in my studies who do understand and do not believe in GW. Even to paraphrase what they think would just take to much time to post and you wouldn't understand it anyway since you are not a scientist with a true understanding of the processes that go into the data collection and evaluation to which scientists draw their conclusions.

I think you misunderstood how "they" view the Pope.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
173 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2015, RNK wrote:

I understand that in YOUR opinion the Pope is not special. But some do consider him special. Do you think you could possibly be wrong about your assessment of the Pope? You say that “God does not speak to the Pope any differently than he does anybody else”. Are you saying that God DOES speak to some people? Or are you saying that God doesn’t speak to anybody? I think that point needs clarification. Also, don’t many “ordinary” people claim that God guides them through their lives? Many even claim “revelations”. If it happens to ordinary people, couldn’t it happen to the Pope? Couldn’t God be guiding the Pope when he speaks out about the planet’s climate? All I’m asking is if any of this is a possibility.

Quote:

What made you choose an Assembly of God church? Is that the one where they speak in tongues? Is there any reason you didn’t choose Hinduism or Islam? How do you know you made the right choice?

Quote:

Are you saying I should believe the 3% of scientists over the 97%? Do you think NASA, The American Chemical Society, the American Physical Society and all the other organizations I mentioned has a true understanding of the processes that go into data collection and evaluation? Do you think there is a conspiracy amongst those organizations? And how do you explain the conclusions of the Koch funded study which was led by a climate skeptic? Do you think they had an agenda? And lastly, could you be wrong in your views about GW? Thanks.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
173 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2015, The Hermit wrote:

Can he send me next week's lottery numbers? Does Jesus often send messages through other people? If so, I got a bunch of questions for him.

Good questions, but I think you're asking the wrong person. Smile

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
It is a waste of time asking the climate hysterics as they never get their predictions right.

Tommy
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17687 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2015, tommy wrote:
It is a waste of time asking the climate hysterics as they never get their predictions right.

These sillysallies still think 97% of the scientists agree ..ROTFLMAO
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3549 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2015, Slim King wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2015, tommy wrote:

These sillysallies still think 97% of the scientists agree ..ROTFLMAO

http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

Can't imagine why anyone might think that...
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17687 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Yes... And I'll get to keep my Dr., I won't lose my health care package and I'll save $2500.00 a year. ROTFLMAO...; (AND THE JV TEAM HAS BEEN CONTAINED) ... Just for starters... It was a video?...AND .. Those are REAL OLD studies which come to no where near 97% by my count....I'm Skeptical ...I say prove it. Smile
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
By "really old" you mean between 2005 and 2013, Slim? Those don't look "really old" to me.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Now it is a political rant about the president? You do know he is not the one in charge of climate science right? He believes but how can you hand off responsibility for his administration messing up anything to this debate?

I would love to be able to but can't figure out a way. Or at least one that didn't make me look like I have a 4th grade education.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
The elite can pay anyone off. Ultimately the elite use your money to make the pay off. First the elite get the powers that be in their pocket and then they dole out grants to experts who come back with the expert opinions the elite want and the powers that be give out contracts and make rules etcetera to suit the elite. also

Tommy
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3549 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2015, tommy wrote:
The elite can pay anyone off. Ultimately the elite use your money to make the pay off. First the elite get the powers that be in their pocket and then they dole out grants to experts who come back with the expert opinions the elite want and the powers that be give out contracts and make rules etcetera to suit the elite. also

Except the multi-national corporations, the rich and powerful--the elite--are all opposed to the idea of climate change. It is wealthy money that supports the anti-climate change agenda. On average the climate scientists make $70 grand a year. They work in every country in the world. They work for governments, universities, corporations and militaries.

What makes you think that it is the elites fighting to get people to support initiatives against climate change?
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5522 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2015, Pop Haydn wrote:

Except the multi-national corporations, the rich and powerful--the elite--are all opposed to the idea of climate change. It is wealthy money that supports the anti-climate change agenda. On average the climate scientists make $70 grand a year. They work in every country in the world. They work for governments, universities, corporations and militaries.

Really? Maybe you should read this Pop: http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/mair......-against

A short blurb from the article:

The 81 companies “have operations in all 50 states, employ over 9 million people, represent more than $3 trillion in annual revenue, and have a combined market capitalization of over $5 trillion,” the White House said.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..14..25..36..47..55~56~57~58~59..93..126..159..192..224~225~226 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.45 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL