The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..30..57..84..111..138~139~140~141~142..159..175..191..207..223..224~225~226 [Next]
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2016, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2016, RNK wrote:
So yes, you are correct that I believe man and our actions are not a stronger influence than nature and our complex atmospheric/solar system we reside.

Do you agree that man-made CFCs were a major cause of the depletion of the ozone layer?

Also, do you agree that smog in LA and China (two of the more notorious smog locales) is due to human-induced pollutants in the atmosphere?

Ron

Yes, I do agree CFC's were a major cause and that's why they were banned in 1996. And that is why the ozone is slowly restoring itself. But yet even though data shows the ozone IS restoring itself, GW is happening?

The article here: https://weather.com/science/environment/......ing-nasa
suggests that, "But according to some scientists, the restoration of ozone over Antarctica might have negative effects on global warming."

Uh oh? What to do know? Even though the ozone hole is becoming smaller this is having a negative effect on global warming? Hm. Just shows you there is no definitive science that can precisely explain the complex system of NATURE and the galaxy systems.

Again, does that mean we shouldn't do anything to do our part as citizens to reduce pollution? Absolutely not! But I don't agree that we have to start buying and selling Carbon Credits regulated by the government in order to use our grills and BBQ outside!
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2016, RNK wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
So yes, you are correct that I believe man and our actions are not a stronger influence than nature and our complex atmospheric/solar system we reside.

Do you agree that man-made CFCs were a major cause of the depletion of the ozone layer?

Also, do you agree that smog in LA and China (two of the more notorious smog locales) is due to human-induced pollutants in the atmosphere?

Ron

Yes, I do agree CFC's were a major cause and that's why they were banned in 1996. And that is why the ozone is slowly restoring itself.

So then you DO agree (contrary to your previous assertion) that man and our actions CAN influence nature and our complex atmospheric system.

So then I take it you also agree that smog in LA and China is due to human-induced pollutants in the atmosphere. Now you're getting it! Smile

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ummm no smog is not man made. It is caused by raccoons. Duh

Errt ummm urban raccoons
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2016, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ron

Yes, I do agree CFC's were a major cause and that's why they were banned in 1996. And that is why the ozone is slowly restoring itself.

So then you DO agree (contrary to your previous assertion) that man and our actions CAN influence nature and our complex atmospheric system.

So then I take it you also agree that smog in LA and China is due to human-induced pollutants in the atmosphere. Now you're getting it! Smile

Ron

Unfortunately you are NOT getting the main point. There is NO definitive evidence, as there was with the CFC studies, proving that Catastrophic events sre going to happen because of emissions OTHER than CFC's. CFC's is a totally different subject with a totally different effect. Heck, even the study says that since the ozone has become smaller it's effecting GW! LOL! So no relationship between the two whatsoever. And looks like according to GW fanatics that we are dammed if we do and dammed if we don't! Clearly contradicting themselves. And again, not one GW catastrophic past prediction has come true! Not one! And again, if you think studying 100 years of data (part of which the earlier part of the 100 years of data using real-time monitoring instrumentation that were not to the precision/accuracy as we currently have within the past 50 or so years) is enough data to blame humans for something that is questionable and not definitive then you obviously do not get it.

RNK
Gorlzax
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Gorlzax
Quote:
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2016, Gorlzax wrote:
RNK! You should know by now that I do not have any formal education in science, I have mentioned it here, at least few times.
And I just love it, when you are showing off with this sciency vibe and at the same time sharing this as your information source:

Well Gorlzax- I went through all your posts here and read nothing about your science background. Very well possible I missed it, so please provide us with the posts you are referring to that you told us about your education and science background?

RNK

You went through all my posts?! Wow! I'm impressed. And yes, still, you had missed it. And on the other hand, you know what, I had only mentioned it once. Here towards end of the quoted post you find me telling "I am no science guy." And I actually thought I had mentioned it more often, because I have been also telling, that I have no new solutions and that I am no genious etc. I have been putting myself down here so much that I thought it was evident, but good that you went all detective on this matter and wanted to be clear. So, now we are clear. I had stated it, but only directly once.

I like this fact checking atmosphere! You are going all Hillary on me. 😊 which is good and I recommend everybody else also to always share their information sources. Like RNK has done. He has told us that he uses this as his information source:

www.wnho.net

And he also argumented his case with information that can be found here:

http://www.charismanews.com/opinion/here......-warming

And then we know where he gets his information and everybody can evaluate for themselves how scientific and trustworthy his arguments are when they are based on these information sources.

Quote:
On Sep 1, 2016, Gorlzax wrote:
"Gorlzax, I'm really not interested in debating AGW with you. My post was simply to point out the obvious stupidity of Pop's post."

Good reflecting there rockwall! I can see, that you are not interested in having this discussion and debate, but rather trying to just find opprtunities to tell people how stupid and poorly informed they are. Still when you throw out these "well informed" statements" like:

"Well, all I can say is that if that's true, then the temperature has been on a steady rise since well before all those cars started putting pollution into the air. Maybe you should look for other possibilities"

And when you are told that there are other things that pollute (in more words than that in my previous post) and are asked a real question (What is you theory for the warming) you say you are not interested in having this discussion. Oh, so easy way to avoid discussion that deals with reality.

"And I didn't say I don't believe that the temp. has risen by 2 degrees Celsius, my comment was meant to say that I don't know for certain. "

Which is exactly the same thing! If you see a scientific raport about something like this (Not even GW, but the temperature, THAT HAS BEEN) and still choose to say "I don't know for certain". Good thing is that you don't need to know, they know. But I am really interested in what can make you certain on anything? how does that happen?

"I would say that if you think these numbers have been arrived at by, "people having been outside with a thermometer and written the result down.", then I am afraid you are quite poorly informed on the subject."

Please inform me then! There is no new knowledge in saying that I am poorly informed. I am no science guy. I just know that they have been measuring the day to day weather for really long time and if you gather up all that information, you know... you get the results. Its not paranormal stuff.

"I'm also not sure what you mean by, "this topic was fittingly titled: 'Global warming is part of a natural cycle'". The topic title seems to be "New Report on Global Warming".

Good that you ask so there will be no misunderstanding. You left the part out that I meant was fitting to this forum. The whole topic was:
"Global warming is part of a natural cycle - this idea is one short step above appealing to magic"

You know, because this is a magic forum, so I thought it would be fitting.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Oh. Ok. So you have no science background. Thanks for the clarification. I am sorry, I thought I read that you stated you did have a science background. But knowing this makes your stance more clear to me.
Gorlzax
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Gorlzax
Quote:
Oh. Ok. So you have no science background. Thanks for the clarification. I am sorry, I thought I read that you stated you did have a science background. But knowing this makes your stance more clear to me.

Yes, when I say that I do not have any formal education in science, I mean what I say. You see how confusing and how very much of unnecessery work you do to both of us, you going through all my posts and me having to reply to you, when you don't actually read what I write. 😊

Good that I am now clear to you. Just as you are to me with your "scientific" information sources. Cant help myself, have to put them here once again:

http://www.wnho.net/
http://www.charismanews.com/opinion/here......-warming

If you are, like you claim, "a science guy", and these two links truly are the best information sources you can find to help argue your point of view, well then, for once I have to be kind of glad that you havent studied with tax payers money. Assuming youre an american, of course.

Still, Good that we are now both more clear to each others!
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:

Unfortunately you are NOT getting the main point. There is NO definitive evidence, as there was with the CFC studies, proving that Catastrophic events sre going to happen because of emissions OTHER than CFC's. CFC's is a totally different subject with a totally different effect. Heck, even the study says that since the ozone has become smaller it's effecting GW! LOL! So no relationship between the two whatsoever. And looks like according to GW fanatics that we are dammed if we do and dammed if we don't! Clearly contradicting themselves. And again, not one GW catastrophic past prediction has come true! Not one! And again, if you think studying 100 years of data (part of which the earlier part of the 100 years of data using real-time monitoring instrumentation that were not to the precision/accuracy as we currently have within the past 50 or so years) is enough data to blame humans for something that is questionable and not definitive then you obviously do not get it.
RNK

These contradictory quotes are in your own words...

Humans CANNOT influence nature/the atmosphere:

Quote:

Humans CAN influence nature/the atmosphere:

Quote:

So which is it - can humans affect nature/the atmosphere or can he not??? We're not talking about GW here - just trying to establish whether or not humans can affect nature/the atmosphere.

Ron
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Look up the word significance.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
Quote:

RNK

Quote:

Quote:

So which is it - can humans affect nature/the atmosphere or can he not??? We're not talking about GW here - just trying to establish whether or not humans can affect nature/the atmosphere.

Ron

No. From the insignificant amount of data we have on GW and from the reported data, right now a conclusion cannot be made that Humans are causing Global Warming.
Gorlzax
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Gorlzax
"So how do scientists know that today’s warming is primarily caused by humans putting too much carbon in the atmosphere when we burn coal, oil, and gas or cut down forests?

There are human fingerprints on carbon overload. When humans burn coal, oil and gas (fossil fuels) to generate electricity or drive our cars, carbon dioxide is released into the atmosphere, where it traps heat. A carbon molecule that comes from fossil fuels and deforestation is “lighter” than the combined signal of those from other sources. As scientists measure the “weight” of carbon in the atmosphere over time they see a clear increase in the lighter molecules from fossil fuel and deforestation sources that correspond closely to the known trend in emissions.[2,3]

Natural changes alone can’t explain the temperature changes we’ve seen. For a computer model to accurately project the future climate, scientists must first ensure that it accurately reproduces observed temperature changes. When the models include only recorded natural climate drivers—such as the sun’s intensity—the models cannot accurately reproduce the observed warming of the past half century. When human-induced climate drivers are also included in the models, then they accurately capture recent temperature increases in the atmosphere and in the oceans.[4,5,6] When all the natural and human-induced climate drivers are compared to one another, the dramatic accumulation of carbon from human sources is by far the largest climate change driver over the past half century.

Lower-level atmosphere—which contains the carbon load—is expanding. The boundary between the lower atmosphere (troposphere) and the higher atmosphere (stratosphere) has shifted upward in recent decades. See the ozone FAQ for a figure illustrating the layers of the atmosphere.[6,7,8] This boundary has likely changed because heat-trapping gases accumulate in the lower atmosphere and that atmospheric layer expands as it heats up (much like warming the air in a balloon). And because less heat is escaping into the higher atmosphere, it is likely cooling. This differential would not occur if the sun was the sole climate driver, as solar changes would warm both atmospheric layers, and certainly would not have warmed one while cooling the other."

Reference and more infornation from here:
http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/sci......j9RhpurV

Please RNK, share also your sources for your argument. I am really interested to know. How have you came up with the conclusion that "From the insignificant amount of data we have on GW and from the reported data, right now a conclusion cannot be made that Humans are causing Global Warming."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You say natural changes alone can't explain it, but is that a fact?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Gorlzax
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Gorlzax
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
You say natural changes alone can't explain it, but is that a fact?

First of all, I don't say it. I referenced and quoted the analysis of scientists and secondly, did you read the whole paragraph? If you did, I'm not sure what more would you like to know about that argument, to make it a fact for you.

"Natural changes alone can’t explain the temperature changes we’ve seen. For a computer model to accurately project the future climate, scientists must first ensure that it accurately reproduces observed temperature changes. When the models include only recorded natural climate drivers—such as the sun’s intensity—the models cannot accurately reproduce the observed warming of the past half century. When human-induced climate drivers are also included in the models, then they accurately capture recent temperature increases in the atmosphere and in the oceans.[4,5,6] When all the natural and human-induced climate drivers are compared to one another, the dramatic accumulation of carbon from human sources is by far the largest climate change driver over the past half century."

I can try to find more information for you if there is some aspect of this argument that you feel needs more clarification.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
An interglacial period (or alternatively interglacial) is a geological interval of warmer global average temperature lasting thousands of years that separates consecutive glacial periods within an ice age. That means that global temperature gets warmer and warmer on average after an ice age for thousands of years in warm period like the one are in today. It is therefore then that we have global warming and sea level rises as a result. That warming has nothing to do with mankind’s actions. The interglacials and glacials coincide with cyclic changes in the Earth's orbit just as the seasons are to do with the Earths orbit. The orbits of the planets in in the solar system and the sun are not caused by mankind. The ever moving and changing planets change Earth’s climate. That will continue, whether you like it or not and no matter how hysterical you get. No matter how much you climate hysterics exaggerate man’s contribution with your artificial computer models and your Nostradamus like but accurate predictions or whatever you do it will not change reality. The only thing that you climate hysterics will change is the political system. In that respect there is little or no doubt that you will get the future you want.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Gorlzax
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Gorlzax
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2016, tommy wrote:
An interglacial period (or alternatively interglacial) is a geological interval of warmer global average temperature lasting thousands of years that separates consecutive glacial periods within an ice age. That means that global temperature gets warmer and warmer on average after an ice age for thousands of years in warm period like the one are in today. It is therefore then that we have global warming and sea level rises as a result. That warming has nothing to do with mankind’s actions. The interglacials and glacials coincide with cyclic changes in the Earth's orbit just as the seasons are to do with the Earths orbit. The orbits of the planets in in the solar system and the sun are not caused by mankind. The ever moving and changing planets change Earth’s climate. That will continue, whether you like it or not and no matter how hysterical you get. No matter how much you climate hysterics exaggerate man’s contribution with your artificial computer models and your Nostradamus like but accurate predictions or whatever you do it will not change reality. The only thing that you climate hysterics will change is the political system. In that respect there is little or no doubt that you will get the future you want.

I don't feel very hysterical so you must mean somebody else. And it would be awesome if you could let us know to what you base your point of view. I mean is this what you said just your opinion or where have you gathered this information. Thanks!

And as a reply to your argument:

"Objection: Today’s warming is just a recovery from the Little Ice Age.

Answer: This argument relies on an implicit assumption that there is a particular climatic baseline to which the earth inexorably returns — and thus that a period of globally lower temperatures will inevitably be followed by a rise in temperatures. What is the scientific basis for that assumption?

There is no evidence of such a baseline. The climate is influenced by many factors, which change or remain stable in their own ways. The current understanding of the Little Ice Age is that it was likely the result of a decrease in solar irradiance combined with an increase in volcanic activity, blocking additional sunlight. The LIA was also not particularly well synchronized globally, affecting different regions at different times. Scientists are aware of no century-scale pattern in solar output or volcanic activity, so there’s no reason to expect a reversal of those changes. As it happens, solar output did increase somewhat in the early 20th century, which did contribute to warming at that time. However, that’s not behind current warming.

Another problem with appealing to a natural recovery from the LIA is that temperature has now risen to levels higher than the assumed baseline climate. So even if some recovery were to be expected, why have we now exceeded it? This argument has problems similar to the more general “it is part of a natural cycle” argument."

And then I give you a reference to where I got this: http://grist.org/climate-energy/we-are-j......the-lia/
Please do the same with your replys.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
To be fair doesn't the entire "global climate change" argument rely on the idea that there is a "norm" that is being deviated from?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
It does not really matter how you climate hysterics feel because it is only the action that really matters. You are such a climate hysteric that above you openly called for global governance to save the world from the farcical threat that is catastrophic man made global warming. They have got you so scared of this invisible threat that you are will give up your sovereignty, so hysterical that you are willing to give them trillions to save you. We find you hysterical, whether you feel or not. It must be really frustrating as a climate hysteric to not have your beliefs taken seriously by the society that you are terrorizing. You must feel like Jihadist; Just how many people do you have to kill around here to be taken seriously? Smile

Tommy
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2016, RNK wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

RNK

Quote:

Quote:

Ron

No. From the insignificant amount of data we have on GW and from the reported data, right now a conclusion cannot be made that Humans are causing Global Warming.

Stay focused. Remember, I said we're not talking about GW here - just trying to establish whether or not humans can affect nature/the atmosphere.

So... which of your two contradictory statements are correct?

Ron
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
After pork and beans my son affects the atmosphere. Smile Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..30..57..84..111..138~139~140~141~142..159..175..191..207..223..224~225~226 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL