The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21..62..102..142..182..222..224~225~226 [Next]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It was 35 at 6am and it's already 50 at 10am. At this rate this the oceans will be boiling by dinner time!

But if we can annoy enough people and get them to spend lots of money maybe the AGW will relent for a few hours... Possibly even some temporary cooling if a big enough online effort succeeds. So unless you want to broil get posting!!!
...to all the coins I've dropped here
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2013-10-25 06:15, Woland wrote:
Not exactly evidence of extreme weather:

Quote:
With only two hurricanes so far, the 2013 Atlantic hurricane season is well behind the curve to reach the average number of hurricanes and is one of the least intense since 1950.

I think I can predict with a fairly high degree of accuracy at least two responses to this post.

1. Now try looking at twenty or fifty years

2. Before I even consider chasing this goose, can you find a single scientific reference that suggests that hurricanes in the USA were predicted to rise?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-10-25 10:09, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-10-25 06:15, Woland wrote:
Not exactly evidence of extreme weather:

Quote:
With only two hurricanes so far, the 2013 Atlantic hurricane season is well behind the curve to reach the average number of hurricanes and is one of the least intense since 1950.

I think I can predict with a fairly high degree of accuracy at least two responses to this post.

1. Now try looking at twenty or fifty years

2. Before I even consider chasing this goose, can you find a single scientific reference that suggests that hurricanes in the USA were predicted to rise?

No. I'll once again advise you to read before you judge. From Woland's link:

Quote:

Which you and Woland duly quoted. (Well Woland quoted it, rockwall probably just quoted Woland without following the link, if the first 12 pages of this discussion has any predictive value.)

The article continues:

Quote:
While the season does not end until late November, time is running out for the season, much to the relief of those living in coastal areas.

By the end of November, on average there are about 12 tropical storms and six hurricanes per season. With approximately two months to go, the season will likely finish with an above-average number of tropical storms. There have already been 11 tropical storms as of Thursday morning, Oct. 3, 2013.

What's this? An ABOVE AVERAGE number of tropical storms? Why didn't you mention that?

Oh right.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

I think I can predict the day of the week with better than one in ten accuracy. it's Monday.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Is there a trend in average storms per year and a trend in storm wind strength? NOAA has posted data back to 1851.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
http://www.nbcnews.com/science/arctic-te......11462851

"New research shows that average summer temperatures in the Canadian Arctic over the last century are the highest in the last 44,000 years, and perhaps the highest in 120,000 years."

"Miller and his colleagues gauged Arctic temperatures by looking at gas bubbles trapped in ice cores (cylinders drilled from the ice that show layers of snow laid down over time) taken from the region, which allows scientists to reconstruct past temperature and levels of precipitation. They paired this with radiocarbon dating of clumps of moss taken from a melting ice cap on Canada's Baffin Island. Their analysis shows that these plants have been trapped in the ice for at least 44,000 years, and perhaps as long as 120,000 years. Taken together, that data suggest temperatures in the region haven't been this high since perhaps as long as 120,000 years ago, according to the study.

"The Arctic has been heating up for about a century, but the most significant warming didn't start until the 1970s, Miller said in the statement. "And it is really in the past 20 years that the warming signal from that region has been just stunning," he added. "All of Baffin Island is melting, and we expect all of the ice caps to eventually disappear, even if there is no additional warming."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-10-25 09:33, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
It was 35 at 6am and it's already 50 at 10am. At this rate this the oceans will be boiling by dinner time!

Nominee for post of the year, and I don't even agree with him!
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Quote:
What's this? An ABOVE AVERAGE number of tropical storms? Why didn't you mention that?

Do you think that observation proves that increased carbon dioxide in the atmosphere diminishes the extreme amplitude of tropical storms, so that even if the number of tropical storms is "ABOVE AVERAGE" (as you say), fewer of them become hurricanes?

Just asking.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-10-25 14:28, Woland wrote:
Quote:

Do you think that observation proves that increased carbon dioxide in the atmosphere diminishes the extreme amplitude of tropical storms, so that even if the number of tropical storms is "ABOVE AVERAGE" (as you say), fewer of them become hurricanes?

Just asking.

Of course not. It does illuminate recurring threads of dishonesty in the NVMS section of the café, though.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Interesting to see, though, that Woland appears to agree that the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is increasing. He just believes that the resultant warming is a good thing and doesn't seem to have any problem with us emitting even more. (Of course, on other days he's stated that warming isn't occurring at all.)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Iirc the post was about the long term data putting our age in the warm gap between ice ages.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Unfortunately, if the temperature in the current "warm gap" keeps increasing artificially as predicted by the AGW model, it pretty much insures that man won't be around by the time the next natural ice age occurs.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7529 Posts

Profile of RNK
To say that our climate is changing because of ONE parameter CO2- is simply crazy. The climate is too complicated to be predicted by a single parameter. Further CO2 makes up approximately 0.8% of gases that make up our atmosphere. Considering how complex our climate is given the variable that control it- you can't make a statement that a gas that makes up 0.8% of the atmosphere is CONTROLLING the climate.

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Bob,

That the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is increasing is relatively straightforward to ascertain.

Whether there is such a thing as the "global climate" and if there is, whether the average baseline temperature (if there is such a thing) of the earth's climate is increasing, is far more difficult to know. And whether human industrial activity contributes to changes in that temperature is even more difficult to know.

But it is possible to be reasonably certain that all of the "good times" in recorded human history coincide with the warmer eras on earth, and not with the colder periods.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-10-25 16:20, RNK wrote:
To say that our climate is changing because of ONE parameter CO2- is simply crazy. The climate is too complicated to be predicted by a single parameter. Further CO2 makes up approximately 0.8% of gases that make up our atmosphere. Considering how complex our climate is given the variable that control it- you can't make a statement that a gas that makes up 0.8% of the atmosphere is CONTROLLING the climate.

RNK

Whew. Good thing IPCC claims no such thing, then.

Here we are 13-odd pages into a discussion allegedly about IPCC Fifth Assessment Report. Wonder how many posters have read any portion of the document.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-10-25 16:20, RNK wrote:
To say that our climate is changing because of ONE parameter CO2- is simply crazy...

RNK

Just as it's simply crazy to assume that anyone ever said that.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Sorry, John. We posted at the same time.

I DID read the IPCC report and you're absolutely correct that it claims no such thing. Nor have I.

Bob
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2013-10-25 10:27, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

Which you and Woland duly quoted. (Well Woland quoted it, rockwall probably just quoted Woland without following the link, if the first 12 pages of this discussion has any predictive value.)

It's sad that this is what you now descend to simply because it was shown that you were so sure of yourself that you were unwilling to consider your error.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2013-10-25 16:42, mastermindreader wrote:
Sorry, John. We posted at the same time.

I DID read the IPCC report and you're absolutely correct that it claims no such thing. Nor have I.

Bob

Really? All 2000+ pages of it? That's quite impressive.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Then you're easily impressed. I also read the entire ACA. I read lots of things in their entirety. I'm a very proficient speed reader.

So I take it, then, that you haven't read it at all.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21..62..102..142..182..222..224~225~226 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL