The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..50..93..136..179..222..224~225~226 [Next]
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Destroy is a big word, the planet is bigger.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-09-28 09:02, Dannydoyle wrote:
A fine translation.

I just don't understand how anyone can discount a position on global warming when the chief spokeswoman was named after an Otter Pop.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2013-09-28 13:33, mastermindreader wrote:
It always comes down to "follow the money."

Absolutely agree. And of course there is BILLIONS more being spent on 'studying' and 'proving' AGW than on anything else. Thanks for making my point.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Bob you keep making that tobacco reference from what 40 years ago?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2013-09-28 13:10, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
FWIW Lindzen has also publicly argued that no link between smoking and lung cancer has yet been shown. Interesting fellow.

And he was also a lead author of Chapter 7, 'Physical Climate Processes and Feedbacks,' of the IPCC Third Assessment Report on climate change. Go figure.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-09-28 13:49, rockwall wrote:
Quote:

Absolutely agree. And of course there is BILLIONS more being spent on 'studying' and 'proving' AGW than on anything else. Thanks for making my point.

Actually, most of the money has been coming from Koch and industry people. Universities are generally non-profit.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-28 14:11, Dannydoyle wrote:
Bob you keep making that tobacco reference from what 40 years ago?

Not really. Heritage was putting out crap tobacco "research" as late as the 1990's. They work for the highest corporate bidder. At the time it was Big Tobacco. Today it's Big Oil. Same stuff, different day.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-28 13:37, silvercup wrote:
Destroy is a big word, the planet is bigger.

Are you in the camp that says the world is too big for us to damage? Or the camp which holds that God won't let us?

Do you believe that we have any responsibilities at all to our planet and environment?
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Quote:
On 2013-09-28 13:46, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-28 09:02, Dannydoyle wrote:
A fine translation.

I just don't understand how anyone can discount a position on global warming when the chief spokeswoman was named after an Otter Pop.

Lol! I love it. At least she wasn't named Strawberry Short Kook.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I am kinda new to this area of the Café but I just want to say that Bob Cassidy is my friggen hero!!!

The truth will set you free baby.

Now I'm gonna go watch Billy Jack on my VCR... another here with a cool hat Smile
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So this is one of the times it is ok to attack the messenger?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-09-28 19:56, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-28 13:10, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
FWIW Lindzen has also publicly argued that no link between smoking and lung cancer has yet been shown. Interesting fellow.

And he was also a lead author of Chapter 7, 'Physical Climate Processes and Feedbacks,' of the IPCC Third Assessment Report on climate change. Go figure.

From what little I've read, he quite enjoys attention.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-28 21:18, Dannydoyle wrote:

Apparently so. The ICPP hasn't even issued its full report yet and already it's being attacked by the anti-AGW extremists and Big Oil lackeys.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Common sense indicates that global warning is a reality - as does the majority scientific community.

Reinventing the entire universe is something the GOP is great at doing.

Lets dumb everyone down - lets dumb kids down especially - so that corporate American can enjoy the "free" market.

Hey, I'm sure there are some scientists out there that could testify in court (for a fee of course) that smoking doesn't cause lung cancer.

Is American a better place where everyone should be dumbed down?

Global warming isn't real.

Obamacare = death panels.

Obama is a job killer (he lies!).

Lowering taxes even more for the corporations & wealthy will increase job hiring (many corporations pay no taxes anyway)

Food stamps are a freeloader giveaway (you try to live on $4.50 of food a day)

On and on... the sky is always changing colors when the GOP and their followers interpret the data.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
There's a difference between global warming and Global Warming.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2013-09-28 21:54, LobowolfXXX wrote:
There's a difference between global warming and Global Warming.

Perhaps not for those who are certain their beliefs should be accepted as truth with a capital t - who sometimes even express their confidence in capital letters, highlighter and rhetoric that presupposes more than persuades.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on......4585503/

[T]here is an efficient, fair way to reduce carbon footprints without throwing economies into reverse. It is one that is not impossibly complicated and prone to abuse like carbon-credit trading, or based on command-and-control regulations, such as milking taxpayers to subsidize renewable energy. It is carbon taxes. They are quietly being introduced by governments in North America, Europe and Asia, although not quickly enough. Given their relative simplicity and effectiveness, they ought to be ubiquitous.

More than a few prominent scientists and economists, among them Paul Ekins, director of the Institute for Sustainable Resources at University College of London, and Stewart Elgie of the University of Ottawa, think British Columbia’s carbon tax is a fine model. “The design of that carbon tax was the best in the world,” Mr. Ekins said in an interview.

The B.C. carbon tax applies to all fuels, from gasoline to propane, at the point of sale. It was launched in July, 2008 as the main effort in the province’s campaign to drop emissions by one-third by 2020. The tax was designed to be “revenue neutral” – that is, all the income it raised would be offset by reduced taxes elsewhere – and it was introduced gradually. By 2012, the tax per litre of gasoline was seven cents.

A study led by Mr. Elgie found that in the first four years of the carbon tax, B.C. fuel consumption fell 17.4 per cent per capita, and 18.8 per cent compared with the rest of Canada. In the first three years, the province’s greenhouse gas emissions fell 11 per cent (more recent data are not available). If all this were not good enough, B.C.’s economy did not get clobbered, either. Since the tax was introduced, its gross domestic product has kept pace with the rest of Canada.

The tax does not take an army of bureaucrats to administer and was relatively cheap to introduce. It went from concept to reality in a mere five months.

The IPCC report will receive a barrage of criticism from the climate-change skeptics. They will dismiss the report as a fraud or a hoax because of the declining rate of warming; never mind that the planet is warming. They will ignore the data that reveal an alarming increase in natural catastrophes, such as floods. They will condemn carbon taxes as yet another tax grab, even if they are revenue neutral. B.C.’s fine example of a tax that helps the planet, yet neither hurts taxpayers nor growth, will fail to sway them.

[More at the link.]
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2013-09-28 19:57, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-28 13:49, rockwall wrote:
Quote:

Actually, most of the money has been coming from Koch and industry people. Universities are generally non-profit.

Not even in the same ball park Bob. And I would have thought you were smart enough to realize that.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/20......ysteria/

"According to the GAO, annual federal climate spending has increased from $4.6 billion in 2003 to $8.8 billion in 2010, amounting to $106.7 billion over that period. " And that's just in the US!

Yes, please follow the money.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Well if we're going to start making snide comments like "I thought you were smart enough...", I see no point in responding. You pay little attention to facts or science anyway.

Ask the Kochs where their money goes.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2013-09-28 21:40, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-28 21:18, Dannydoyle wrote:

Apparently so. The ICPP hasn't even issued its full report yet and already it's being attacked by the anti-AGW extremists and Big Oil lackeys.

Apparently so. The ICPP hasn't even issued its full report yet and already we're getting news articles claiming how much worse it is than we thought. (See the OP if you somehow missed it.)

Of course in Bob's mind it's OK to quote the report that hasn't been released if it supports his beliefs but not to comment on it if it doesn't. Hypocritical any?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..50..93..136..179..222..224~225~226 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL