The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11..19..27..35..42~43~44~45~46..82..117..152..187..222..224~225~226 [Next]
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
"Despite the best efforts of climate deniers committed to spreading misinformation, the scientific consensus on climate change — that it’s happening, and that human activity is to blame — has yet to be convincingly challenged. So the newest study to examine scientists’ views on global warming is, in some ways, old news: published in the journal Environmental Science and Technology, it draws on a survey of more than 1,800 climate scientists to once again document “overwhelming agreement” on those two main points.

"The scientists were asked the question twice, in slightly different ways. But in both cases, the responses were similar. The more researchers said they’d published on the topic, moreover, the more likely they were to agree that greenhouse gas emissions are the main contributor to global warming:

"The results more or less confirm the previous findings documenting the scientific consensus on man-made climate change, among them: the 2009 survey that found 86 percent of earth scientists, but 97.5 percent of actively publishing climatologists, believe” human activity is a significant contributing factor in changing mean global temperatures”; the 2010 paper in the Proceedings of the Natural Academy of Sciences that surveyed 200 scientists who’ve published “prolifically” on climate change, 97 to 98 percent of which agree it’s happening; and the 2013 survey led by Skeptical Science’s John Cook (a co-author on this new study), which reviewed 12,000 peer-reviewed climate science papers and found that 97 percent of those that discussed the cause of climate change attributed it to human activity.

"This newest study, according to lead author Bart Verheggen, sets an even higher standard, as it looks specifically at the degree to which scientists thought greenhouse gas emissions were contributing to climate change (the graph on the right). It found that of those who had published 10 or more peer-reviewed papers (about half of those surveyed), 90 percent agreed that such emissions are either the largest or tied for the largest contributor. Verheggen also notes that climate contrarians were “somewhat overrepresented” and may have claimed to have published more than they actually have, which could have influenced the results.

"Still, he wrote in a blog post summarizing the findings, “no matter how you slice it, scientists overwhelmingly agree that recent global warming is to a great extent human caused.”

~ http://www.salon.com/2014/08/11/yet_anot......_change/
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Here, let me play Bob for minute.

You've got to remember that the site Pop is getting his information and interpretation from is the far left liberal and progressive site Salon.com, run by a non-scientist and super liberal Cindy Jeffers from the Huffington Post. Salon.com was listed as the 4th most liberal site on the internet by the NY Times.

(Note: None of this is meant to be an actual argument against the study that Pop is linking to in his article, just an example of an easy smear campaign meant to 'look' like an actual argument.)
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Good grief rockwa. We dismantled the joannenova nonsense a couple of months ago.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Yeah, well we dismantled Cook's study years ago but you're still buying it.

But, if you're referring to our discussion of about a month ago, it was regarding the current study that Pop just linked to, not about the Cook study. Now you're starting to sound like Bob with nothing better than ad hominems.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 7, 2015, rockwall wrote:
Yeah, well we dismantled Cook's study years ago but you're still buying it.

But, if you're referring to our discussion of about a month ago, it was regarding the current study that Pop just linked to, not about the Cook study. Now you're starting to sound like Bob with nothing better than ad hominems.

Have you ever asked what I think of Cook's study?

You keep trotting out the same pathetic bloggers and activists. I drop out of this "discussion" from time to time because you are either dishonest or completely clueless. I honestly can't tell which.

Go back to Joanne Nova whenever she says something you agree with. Please do. But she has absolutely zero training, credibility or authority in climate science (her bachelor's degree in microbiology counts for something, I guess). But she says things you believe, so bring her back. The only reason you cite her is because she agrees with the position you keep coming back to.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7530 Posts

Profile of RNK
[quote]On Sep 7, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
The only reason you cite her is because she agrees with the position you keep coming back to.

As is the reason you guys on the left keep citing articles that are published from a far left source!
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

[quote]On Sep 8, 2015, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
The only reason you cite her is because she agrees with the position you keep coming back to.

As is the reason you guys on the left keep citing articles that are published from a far left source!

I keep citing science because it's the best evidence. Sorry, it's not the same thing.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
You're the one being pretty dishonest here Magnus.

You ask, "Have I ever asked you what you think of Cook's study", yet you defend it constantly.

You say you only cite science, yet again, you constantly defend an ex-cartoonists study.

You asked me where Richard Tol came up with his number of 64. I found a blog which I think explains where he got the number. Then you complain because you don't like the blogger.

You complain that we already discussed this blogger's article and when I point out that that was a different article, as is your usual practice when shown you made a mistake, you get all huffy and storm out.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7530 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2015, rockwall wrote:
You're the one being pretty dishonest here Magnus.

You ask, "Have I ever asked you what you think of Cook's study", yet you defend it constantly.

You say you only cite science, yet again, you constantly defend an ex-cartoonists study.

You asked me where Richard Tol came up with his number of 64. I found a blog which I think explains where he got the number. Then you complain because you don't like the blogger.

You complain that we already discussed this blogger's article and when I point out that that was a different article, as is your usual practice when shown you made a mistake, you get all huffy and storm out.

Not to mention it seems to Magnus that the articles you provide (because they don't jive with what the left thinks) are simply not science. LOL.....
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
Quick correction. I was unclear (contradictory?) about Tol's training and vocation. He is, indeed an economist, but he is trained in econometrics. So while he is not a professional statistician (as I said), his work is statistical in nature.

In addition, you'll notice that Magnus never questioned Tol's credentials when he was a lead author for the IPCC report, but as soon as he writes something questioning the status quo, suddenly his credentials come into scrutiny.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 8, 2015, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
Quick correction. I was unclear (contradictory?) about Tol's training and vocation. He is, indeed an economist, but he is trained in econometrics. So while he is not a professional statistician (as I said), his work is statistical in nature.

In addition, you'll notice that Magnus never questioned Tol's credentials when he was a lead author for the IPCC report, but as soon as he writes something questioning the status quo, suddenly his credentials come into scrutiny.

Can you read? I am most certainly not questioning his credentials. I am noting an error in my earlier post, where I called him a statistician, which he is not. I also note that his training and work in econometrics should make his statistically sophisticated.

Again, I can't decide if you're functionally illiterate, or if you just like the attention that comes from plugging your ears and shouting.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
+1
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:

Tol is an economist specializing on energy policy.

In a piece he wrote for FoxNews, Tol stated "The first rule of climate policy should be: do no harm to economic growth." An interesting position.

Your first comment to the Richard Tol story I posted. Now why would I think that your pointing out that Tol was an 'economist specializing in energy policy' wasn't a swipe at the fact that he wasn't a 'climate scientist'? Could it possibly be because your general modus operandi is to always point out the fact that someone isn't 'qualified' in your view to comment on the things they're commenting on?

P.S. For Bob. It looks like the extent of any intelligent debate from Bob has been reduced to the brilliant "+1" comment.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 9, 2015, rockwall wrote:
Quote:

Tol is an economist specializing on energy policy.

In a piece he wrote for FoxNews, Tol stated "The first rule of climate policy should be: do no harm to economic growth." An interesting position.

Your first comment to the Richard Tol story I posted. Now why would I think that your pointing out that Tol was an 'economist specializing in energy policy' wasn't a swipe at the fact that he wasn't a 'climate scientist'? Could it possibly be because your general modus operandi is to always point out the fact that someone isn't 'qualified' in your view to comment on the things they're commenting on?

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=32
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=32

LOL, See, I was thinking about that exact same link about your responses. Especially the very comical reply you made in it, " I make mistakes all the time, and I do my best to admit them and, where necessary, correct them. "

I've found few here who get as red in the face and stomp around the way you do when caught making a mistake.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Read back a few messages, rockwall. I made a mistake. I corrected. You used to correction to accuse me of hypocrisy. When I point it out, you quickly change your story to claim that you were really referring to something else I wrote, but you quoted the wrong bit.

Good try, but nobody is going to fall for it.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
So you're saying I should have used your first quote to accuse you of hypocrisy if I wanted to be correct about it. You're right. My bad.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7530 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:

Funny- the title of this video is an oxymoron since the normal people are the deniers.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2015, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:

Funny- the title of this video is an oxymoron since the normal people are the deniers.

Uh...yeah...and 2+2=6...
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11..19..27..35..42~43~44~45~46..82..117..152..187..222..224~225~226 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL