The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Where put strong neodymium magnets? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Makus
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Makus
Strong and big neodymium magnet can be really dangerous props. They can hurt the magician, crash fingers and cause damage to other magnetic props or electronic devices.

I keep neodymium magnets separate from all my magic tricks and possibly separate from each other (do they lose strenght if kept together?). The problem is when I go outside for some routine among friends: I must pay attention during the transport, at home of the friends (maybe there are pace maker patients...) and particularly with children.

Have you experienced problems with strong magnets or is it rather safe, on your opinion, to use them and keep them for informal shows in houses?
shellgame-al
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, USA
352 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
No they don't lose strenght if kept together. I have carry cases for all the magnets I use. These are snap top lid cases with foam on the inside that the magnet fits into. I have the magnet in the center with enough wall that the magnet will not attach to anything around it.

I have not had any problems with using stronge magnets, if they are stored and handled right. But when using strong magnets you need to respect their force.

I like to work with magnet too metal, not magnet too magnet for many reasons.
Manufacture of 3 Shell Game Sets & 3 Disk Monte Sets
3shells.com and magicswindles.com
Makus
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Makus
Very kind and useful answer, thanks!

I will find something you recommend, and pay much attention in handling them! Smile
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
If they are within 3/4" wide or smaller, a great way to store them is the Daily Vitamin containers found at any Wal Mart.
They have 7 individual snap lock lids so you can store them in various sizes.

Stacking them is fine but sometimes VERY hard to pull apart.
If you have several mags of the same size and they are fairly strong in power, place a Cardboard or plastic shim between each mag as you stack them.
Much easier to pull apart.
This shim only needs to be about 1/6" thick so you can easily cut them to size with an X-Acto Blade.
The cardboard found on the back of a typical notebook/pad works great and is easy to cut and found in almost any house.

I try to wrap my storage container with a thick pad such as a kitchen towel, two socks sleeved over etc.
This keeps it from "jumping" onto anything made of steel nearby.

Hope this helps
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Makus
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Makus
Thank you! I've already built something like you suggest and it's safe and useful! Smile
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I use some to attach a sign to some of my prop cases. How you use them depends on what you're using them for. The magnets tend to be concealed or encased in something, when I use them, so that the danger is eliminated.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
I have proberly asked this before but can a small neodymium magnet damage my iphone 4s if stuck to the back cover?.I have researched on the internet and many do say NO ,just the GPS compass,however I did find some negative replys saying Yes they do.I do not want to take the chance with out finding out more.Aparently iphones have FLASH hardware so small magnet's should not mess them up?,hope someone know's a little more and can reasure me,all the best.

iPhone: Signal or other interference while in carrying case

If iPhone is experiencing any signal strength, interference, or other issues while it is in a carrying case that uses magnetic clips to secure the phone, try the following:

Remove iPhone from the carrying case.
Turn iPhone off and then on again. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button on top of iPhone for a few seconds until a red slider appears, and then slide the slider. Then press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears.
Use iPhone to verify the issue is no longer present.

If the issue is no longer present, discontinue use of the case.

If the issue persists, please visit Service Answer Center - iPhone for information on service.

Found this on the apple site, and they even SALE cases's with magnet's so many contradictions,it's a joke.

Shane
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
The apple smart covers for the ipad has magnet built in. that is what wakes it and puts it to sleep when open or closed. I an sure the inner parts ie flash memory, gps... are the same.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
touch_of_ink
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of touch_of_ink
I've been researching magnets, and I wonder what strength (either pull rating or N rating) magnets are people using? N52 is the strongest generally available, but is that too strong for general use? (Obviously that would be too strong for a magnetic clasp cover.) I'm looking at modifying a zombie ball to use with rings, a la Raymond Crowe's "The Naked Zombie Ball".
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Veteran user
Pensacola, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
Is it okay to store the ones I'm not using on my refrigerator? That's what I'm doing, but I didn't realize they might damage my fridge.
RajeshLGov
View Profile
Regular user
India
149 Posts

Profile of RajeshLGov
I've stored my NM stacked with no shims. I'm having this set from mid 2000. I always carry a small NM in my pant pocket attached to a coin, this magnet 'm using for past nearly a decade & 've not yet replaced it. Only thing u've to be careful about is getting your pant stuck to cars/metal railings, to avoid this just place your handkerchief above the magnet.I use this for performing instant chop cup using normal cups & vanish multiple coins(sl##&*(g).
All the Best. Raj.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
When researching the use of RE magnets to use with my chop cup, I consulted with my brother, who has far more knowledge in physics than I. He informed me that the true test of a magnet's strength is distance. I was trying to find a magnet that was strong enough to chop a 1.25" cork ball that was wrapped in a leather monkey's fist. To find the correct strength, I used a rubber spacer that was the same thickness as the monkey's fist, checking the amount of force that would hold an identical magnet to that which is in my cup. When that strength was found, I ordered a stack of them (which I store stuck to the side of a metal parts cabinet). I drilled into the balls on opposing ends, using a brad pointed bit for a flat bottomed hole, where I used epoxy to glue them in place. My chopped balls are now single-poled magnets that will attract to the cup, regardless of which pole is up.

The only un-contained magnet that I take to shows is a 1/2" sphere that I use as a duplicate steel ball in a copper tube. By placing the magnetic sphere inside the tube and the steel ball on the outside, the magnet is held in place and is partially shielded by the copper. This, placed in the center of my bag, will prevent most unwanted side effects of carrying a strong magnet about.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Where put strong neodymium magnets? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL