The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Eye of the idol (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Makus
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Makus
I like this Tenyo trick very much and I find this very beautiful and ingenious. I think the Eye of the Idol is really science applied to magic: and for me was very difficult to really understand the mechanism behind, when I first saw it on the web.

But... When I make this routine, even children understand how it's done! I don't know why (maybe its my fault in executing the game)... It's not as obvious (for me), but children or people without magic experience understand the mechanism at once. Strange thing: people with some magic knowledge remain puzzled and begin thinking. In this case, a minimum magic knowledge is not a benefit!
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1548 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Interesting.

Perhaps you are placing the idol too deliberately and not casually enough.

The recent Magic Wagon effect "diceolation" has some similar mechanics at work.
If it is handled casually it absolutely floors people but if the moves are careful and deliberate it becomes fairly
obvious.

Then again in the case if Idol maybe magicians are looking for something more complex than laymen?
Makus
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Makus
You are right: probably I'm not very clever in the movements...

I think children or layman understand at once "something" because they don't think too deep: magician (who are not physics) think very deeply, but the type of movement, which is rotatory and circular, not linear, is not so obvious even if you think in the right direction...
merlin2812
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of merlin2812
The trick is great, the principle behind it just amazing...
But I must agree there is a chance of understanding "something" as long as there is in my opinion some kind of "not perfectly" natural thing to do.
However, the best way I believe to reduce that fact is not to repeat the trick as it is proposed! If you do it just once, it's just inexplicable. Maybe doing it a second time would be ok, with a little time misdirection. But more than that wouldn't be a good idea...

Concerning "diceolation", I just love the trick. Really. And I think you can really repeat it many times, the gestures are so natural... In my opinion, more practical thant Eye of the Idol.

best

merlin
Makus
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Makus
Thanks, Merlin.

I normally put immediately every choosen stone inside the box: I make this also with the first stone.

I've never seen Diceolation, and I don't want to see it... Otherwise I'm sure I want to buy it! Smile
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1548 Posts

Profile of teevtee
I agree Merlin... Diceolation is not only my favorite EVER Magic Wagon effect but is quickly becoming one of my overall favorites. I just love the method and it is very, very easy (for me at least) to routine this in a very natural way.I also have a lsight variation on handling some of the numbers that makes it even smoother. But imagine if you did not handle the (admitedly very simple) moves properly. Imagine sliding the small box deliberatly to one side of the larger box... it would become obvious what is happening or at least peopel woudl have some clue. I think it is the same with Eye of the Idol If done VERY casually and naturally it can work well, but if you are thinking about and deliberatly placing the idol is starts to appeat very forced and obvious.

BTW Makus.... the "good" news for you is that Diceolation is long sold out and very difficult to find... so you won't have to worry about purchasing one!
cyberdave03
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of cyberdave03
Quote:
BTW Makus.... the "good" news for you is that Diceolation is long sold out and very difficult to find... so you won't have to worry about purchasing one!

If you wish it, it will come:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=76&2
Makus
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Makus
Thanks Cyber, but I cannot see the topic you indicate.

I'm very curious about "Diceolation": I've tried to find something on youtube, but the only video found was "Chiang Mai Block"! Smile
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1548 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Makus:
The Magic Wagon items are made in very small numbers... usually around 50, and then that's it. So you generally do not see a ton out there in terms of videos and so on. They are mostly collectors items and often are somewhat Tenyo-like in effect or even method.

Diceolation is a really cool trick and one of thier best. Basically there is a larger wood box and when opened a small black velvet box is inside, when that box is opened dice is inside. The performer can control the number of the dice facing up and therefore "predict" what the spectator will choose.

It works incredibly well and is a really great effet that can be presented in many diffrent ways and with multiple phases. It's expensive but it's cool.
Makus
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Makus
cyberdave03
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of cyberdave03
Quote:
Makus wrote:
I cannot see the topic you indicate

Check again. Now that you've reached the "golden" number of 50 posts, the link should be available to you. If not, go to the "For sale and trade" section and look for the thread "For Sale: MAGIC WAGON RARE GOODIES!".
Makus
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Makus
Seen, thank you! But I'm impressed by the value of these old Tenyos! Smile
Izzy Jay
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
276 Posts

Profile of Izzy Jay
Speaking of Eye of the Idol I have a spare copy of this effect which I wouldn't mind selling. It's in Excellent condition. Anyone interested?
fherrera
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of fherrera
Hello, I have just bought Eye of the Idol but it dit not come with instructions. Can anyone help me. It looks pretty easy but I am not 100% that mine is working right. My email is fherreravillegas@yahoo.es Thanks,
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1072 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Eye of the Idol is available in different idols and skulls all made in wood and elegant by Eric Hansen. These are $400-500+ but absolutely beautiful. Taking away the plastic makes this a much better and creepier effect. Anyone who wants a connection to this please PM me. Hope this is helpful to collectors and pros.

Click here to view attached image.
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3425 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
If you want to see additional photos of Eric's version you can see more in my thread "My Newest Tenyo Like Treasure" below. I worked closely with Eric on this and agree Starmanager this is a beautiful piece for sure! Smile

Cheers,

John
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1072 Posts

Profile of StarManager
John please add that thread link for us!

JT
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3425 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......start=20

Scroll down and onto the next page for some references...

John
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1072 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Thank you JT!

JT
Papasmurf
View Profile
Special user
Tell-Tale Shapeshifting
547 Posts

Profile of Papasmurf
Thanks John and Jonathon for supporting my art.

I have been inspired by the Tenyo's Eye of The Idol. Changing the material, looks and strength I have now named my version "AHead by a Mystery" Thanks to Steve Snyderman for helping me with the naming. Each one is unique and there will never be exact duplicates.

A huge thanks to my favourite magic mentor John Talbot for helping me out with this one.

Eric
Sleight of Hansen
https://www.facebook.com/eric.hansen.566......4&type=3
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Eye of the idol (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL