The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I'm curious as to how many here started in magic then gravitated to mentalism? I think it's interesting because I have performed magic for many years and started to become more interested in mentalism two years ago. I read through 13, chose effects that fit me, and started picking up more books recommended by others. The mentalism plays stronger than magic in many cases. I think it's because it has a much more personal connection as opposed to a surprise factor than magic effects. I haven't been performing mentalism very long, but really enjoy it. So how many of you were once magicians?
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1212 Posts

Profile of Cervier
I started with magic, and still love it! Both to watch and to perform. But I slowly drifted towards mentalism because that's what _I_ was the most impressed by! I also find it easier to perform, not technically, but because it fits my own personnality better.
"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
I started doing magic when I was five years old. I loved magic and still do...

When I was in my mid-teens I met one of the few working mentalists in the country. He was doing some gigs in the Philadelphia area. I offered my assistance and drove him around to his various jobs including some television appearances. (He did a headline prediction on a morning TV show with Larry Kane. The prediction was sealed in a wine bottle suspended from the rafters in full view of the audience for an entire week. When the time came, he smashed the bottle with a hammer and Larry retrieved the prediction from the pile of broken glass. Have never seen this presentation before or since.)

He taught me the mentalist biz. I put together an act and began performing locally. Dropped the magic and never looked back.

Best wishes,

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Scott, I'm in the Philadelphia area. Are you?
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Yes, just outside the city. Jenkintown.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-09-29 11:23, Scott Soloff wrote:
I started doing magic when I was five years old. I loved magic and still do...

When I was in my mid-teens I met one of the few working mentalists in the country. He was doing some gigs in the Philadelphia area. I offered my assistance and drove him around to his various jobs including some television appearances. (He did a headline prediction on a morning TV show with Larry Kane. The prediction was sealed in a wine bottle suspended from the rafters in full view of the audience for an entire week. When the time came, he smashed the bottle with a hammer and Larry retrieved the prediction from the pile of broken glass. Have never seen this presentation before or since.)

He taught me the mentalist biz. I put together an act and began performing locally. Dropped the magic and never looked back.

Best wishes,

Scott

The hammer and bottle prediction was created by Maurice Fogel and was marketed back in the seventies. Quite a few mentalists used it at the time.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Bob,

Once again, thanks. Was unaware of its origin and only seen it the one time.

Best wishes,

Scott
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Scott-

I'll tell you some interesting subtleties that have been applied to the effect when I see you at MindVention.

Bob
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2126 Posts

Profile of RCP
Bob,

Would you contact me please.

Thanks,

Craig
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1645 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
I spent several years in magic as a boy and then, after a 55-year time-out, became a hobbyist mentalist.

George
illusionactor
View Profile
New user
New York
52 Posts

Profile of illusionactor
I too started with magic when I was 5. I worked in a magic shop for 10 years and performed magic during that time. One day mentalism caught my attention and I started studying it. I never performed magic together with mentalism in any single performance because to me they always seemed like two different types of entertainment. I created a separate mentalism show and began performing that more frequently than magic. I'll still perform magic when requested but it happens less frequently than mentalism nowadays.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9647 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Okay, I'll be the odd man out (imagine that) and say that I never has anything to do with magic and came to mentalism through hypnosis and other specific entertainment interests.

I one received a Marshall Brodien set of TV Magic Cards as a gift, became boarded with them in the first two minutes and gave them to my kid brother (who I think clothes-pinned then to the spokes of his Schwinn). That was my extent with magic until I became an agency owner and producer/promoter and began booking magic talent.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1456 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
I learnt some card tricks as a kid, but never really practiced magic. I have always been into psychology and parapsychology so mentalism called to me. I guess I'm one of the rare ones that has no experience as a magician and everything I've learned has been with a mentalist hat on. I can see the pros and cons to this.
Raymond Singson
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Raymond Singson
I started in magic about 18 years ago; I seriously dabbled in everything from stage manipulation to close-up sleight-of-hand. It wasn't until I was in college that I felt the impact of mentalism for the first time. Viral videos of Derren Brown were popping up on YouTube, and although I found them interesting and entertaining, I still felt they could have been fixed or edited or faked to look too perfect. And then Banachek toured through the city and performed guerrilla-style through Temple University. I was able to see him work up close and personal and he slayed me. He slayed me with billet work and muscle reading. Although I was gobsmacked, I also felt almost violated by how personal and "real" the entire experience felt. I guess I've been addicted to mentalism ever since.

I admittedly still perform close-up magic (hard habit to break, really), but everything I do is consistent in the theme of mind-reading. Took me a long while to develop a character and material-base that I was comfortable with, but as others have already pointed out-- I've found that mentalism just hits stronger on an entirely different, cerebral level than most traditional magic.

RS.
“The purpose of art is to lay bare the questions which have been hidden by the answers.” -- James Arthur Baldwin

raymond.singson@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Magic? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL