The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Own methods vs reverse engineering (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I was curious to see what people thought about creating your own methods for existing effects. I am NOT talking about reverse engineering because that IS unethical in my opinion. I'm talking about hearing a premise and creating your own method to achieve the same or similar effect. As an example, I have created an invisible change prediction effect that does not use a S***i and uses principles from mentalism and magic, and a dictionary book test. I bought Kranzo's diction but felt it was limited, so I created a way to reveal a random word, page, column, and number down from the top of the page. I feel it is ethical to hear a premise and create your own method as long as it's NOT reverse engineering an already existing method. What are your thoughts?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
With generic premises such as the change prediction and dictionary test, there is nothing wrong with it. If, however, you see a unique presentation of an effect, work out a method, and then use and present it in the exact same way as the originator, you have crossed an ethical line.

Good thoughts,

Bob
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
That's my thought exactly, Bob.
Bard
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of Bard
But I can't change the patter and style, Bob . . . you project the same sort of crass image I do so it would be really dumb to put the time and effort into creating my own script . . . or should I channel my inner Terry Seabrook and give people a sugar after they fill out the cards in 4DT?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Yes. It is better if you copy somebody else's lines and persona rather than mine. Smile

Seriously, though, I'm much more protective about my original lines and presentations than I am about my methods, which are invisible anyway.
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1212 Posts

Profile of Cervier
I think if you bought an effect and find a method that suits you better, it's fine.

I remember a philosophy teacher saying something like, you can't own an idea, but you can own the way it's put into form. For instance, you can't be the owner of the idea a boy and a girl from ennemy families fall in love, but you can own the way you put words (or images, etc.) together to tell that story.

So I believe the patter and presentation are what's most important. I believe that's what best defines a routine. The same patter and presentation with a different method is the same routine. The same method with a different presentation is not (if said presentation is different enough: as I said, similarities or differences should be judged by what the spectator sees).
"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Exactly, Cervier. I agree.
Synesthesia
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of Synesthesia
Quote:
On 2013-09-29 10:41, Cervier wrote:
I remember a philosophy teacher saying something like, you can't own an idea, but you can own the way it's put into form.

Worth noting: that's what copyright law says too.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Own methods vs reverse engineering (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL