The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Words or phrases to describe our profession. (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
I figured this would be the best place to put this post. Not so much related to patter. However. It should be fine.

So under "Job Title" or how you would describe yourself. What are some words or phrases that make what we do sound more "spiffy" rather then "Magician"

Sleight-of-Hand Artist
Illusionist
Conjurer
Mind Reader
Mentalist

These are the typical names used, rather than "magician"

What are some other words or phrases that make it sound cooler. more professional. more artistic. (However you would like to phrase it). Phrases that make it sounds more dramatic even. Anything would work, just looking for ideas.

Thanks!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Y not just magician?

Musician's don't look for new names.

Actors don't

Do waiters? Or engineers?

Just a thought.
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Because Magician has a lot of "baggage" that comes with the word. And misconceptions.
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
316 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
Facilitator of the Unusual.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
A magician is not a mind reader. A mind reader is a mind reader.
drewer
View Profile
New user
NoVa
100 Posts

Profile of drewer
Magical entertainer
Entertainer
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
If you look at the top guys they still call themselves magicians.

Just be good.
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Quote:
On 2013-10-02 21:05, John C wrote:
If you look at the top guys they still call themselves magicians.

Just be good.

I understand your point, Im trying to get an Idea so I can come up with a clever twist on words. Lets just say. Im trying to find another way to say it without using the basic terms "Magician", "Mind-Reader" Etc. I know a magician isn't a mind reader and vise-versa. that's not the point of this. lol
spcarlson
View Profile
Veteran user
Minneapolis MN
369 Posts

Profile of spcarlson
Vernon used Prestidigitator

I have always used Sleight-of-hand artist
Legendary Creations

from Merlin to Marilyn

www.MagicalArtCreations.com

www.StevenPaulCarlson.com
Mercutio01
View Profile
New user
Ocean City, NJ
68 Posts

Profile of Mercutio01
I was just listening to a Penn&Teller interview and found out that their first shows avoided the use of the words magic and magician, so I can see your reasoning. Still, in the 20+ years since then, I think the words have lost some of the negative connotations that came from people associating them with Uri Geller. A look at America's Got Talent should show that at least some of the stigma is worn off.

Still, I see words like illusionist and mentalist more frequently in print than I do magician.
~Cameron Mount
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Prestidigitator

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Maybe we shouldn't self-apply labels that could fit other performers. Reminds me of that horrid bumper sticker, "Hire a Magician for Your Next Party", implying all magicians are the same and it matters not whom you hire. I'm not a magician. I'm Mike Ince first and a performer second. I do read thoughts, influence choices and control minds. If I knew what to call myself other than mentalist or magician I'd keep it to myself. Journalists and clients can categorize us but as John C pointed out if a performer is good he stands apart.

"Be so good they can't ignore you." - Steve Martin
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Sel
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Sel
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2013, Head Case wrote:
Because Magician has a lot of "baggage" that comes with the word. And misconceptions.

What baggage and misconceptions?
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2013, Mike Ince wrote:
Maybe we shouldn't self-apply labels that could fit other performers. Reminds me of that horrid bumper sticker, "Hire a Magician for Your Next Party", implying all magicians are the same and it matters not whom you hire. I'm not a magician. I'm Mike Ince first and a performer second. [...]

I couldn't agree more! What a wonderful approach - VERY well thought out. You've found a great way to stand apart from the crowd, and you have really inspired me. From now on when anyone asks I'm going to tell them "I'm Mike Ince".

bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Quote:
What baggage and misconceptions?

Seriously? It isn't difficult to figure out. I have my own ways of identifying myself but I haven't used magician for decades and always correct people when they use that term. You can't buy what I do at a magic shop.

I don't think it is fair to compare to Penn and Teller or other big names. People generally know what they are getting with them.

That said spend some time deciding what you want other people to think of you and go from there.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Just chucking some ideas out ...

A legend of legerdemain
A prodigy of prestidigitation
Maestro of the macabre
Master of the mysterious

Gambler; Huckster; Storyteller; Magic-User; Warlock; Jester; Raconteur; Mind-Witch; Curator; Psychic Investigator; Funambulator; Professional Charlatan; Mentalist; Snake-Oil Salesman; Harlequin; Cardist; Mind Reader; Illusionist; Sorcerer; Mystery Entertainer; Grimoire Keeper; Wizard; Necromancer; Cheat; Card Sharp (or Shark); Fool; Clown; Conjuror; Summoner; Teacher of the Hidden Arts; Loremaster; Swindler; Pick Pocket; Mind Manipulator; Reality Bender; Magician; Hypno-Artist; Wonder Worker; Seer; Oracle; Divinationist; Shaman; Magister; Fortune Teller; Magic-Weaver ...

Soooooo many options Smile
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
(Yet more) ... Hustler; reformed con-man; beguiler; enchanter (or -tress or -trix); escapologist; jongleurs; invoker; magi; magus; archmage; carnie king; sideshow worker; circus freak; gypsy queen; Lord of Misrule; Svengali; Fortean explorer; ghost hunter; cardician; cartomancer; scam artist; flim-flam man; acolyte; hoodoo-man; skald; vampirologist; psylock; psion; telekineticist; mysteriologist; archivist; librarian; stage psychic; street magician; -dini (as Houdini, Slydini, Voodoini, Cardini, etc); exposer; fraudster; medium; bizzarist; magic evangelist; gospel magician; fakir; mastermind; mathemagician; number wizard; memory expert; medicine man; witch doctor; bokor; time traveller; dream weaver; initiate; alchemist; deceptionist; prince of shadows; diabolist; bard; ritualist; evoker; arcanist; master of misdirection; spiritist; paranormalist; disciple; savant; mystic; parapsychologist; debunker; thaumaturge; guru; visionary; mambo; stage illusionist; trickster, mesmericist; glammarian; ...
bartleby
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of bartleby
I like Charlatan.
Orlan
View Profile
Loyal user
WA
223 Posts

Profile of Orlan
I like "close-up illusionist".
eralph357
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of eralph357
Maybe it's the marketer in me, but I think no matter what other word you use, when (if) people tell someone else about you, they will say "I saw this magician..." In the internet era of keyword searches, I'm not sure using an unusual term (unlikely to be searched) would be in your best interest. It matters less what you call yourself, more what others call you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Words or phrases to describe our profession. (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL