The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » C0DEX V3NEFICIUM (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10..23~24~25 [Next]
Michael Clifton
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Michael Clifton
Received my copy today, and strike me down, but a little disappointed...not in the book but
in the ageing process.
I think Bobby is working flat out to complete these books and attention to detail is being missed.
I have peeled pages open that seemed still damp and tried to reshape the inside of the book as
well as flatten out creases in pages. Staining is sporadic. It looks like what it is rather than
what it should be, ie an antique book. I have my copy of Gh@st and Ph@nt@ms to compare
and they are almost flawless. No ripples, bends, creases, just very old musty books!
That is not to say Bobby's book is not a great effect, it is and he seems like a great guy.
I just would have been happy to wait and have a perfect musty old book to add to my collection.....

ps if anyone has a solution to flattening these page ripples apart from ironing and heavy books
I would appreciate it..
Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right!
bobbyhasbun
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of bobbyhasbun
Quote:
On 2013-10-18 17:13, Michael Clifton wrote:
Received my copy today, and strike me down, but a little disappointed...not in the book but
in the ageing process.
I think Bobby is working flat out to complete these books and attention to detail is being missed.
I have peeled pages open that seemed still damp and tried to reshape the inside of the book as
well as flatten out creases in pages. Staining is sporadic. It looks like what it is rather than
what it should be, ie an antique book. I have my copy of Gh@st and Ph@nt@ms to compare
and they are almost flawless. No ripples, bends, creases, just very old musty books!
That is not to say Bobby's book is not a great effect, it is and he seems like a great guy.
I just would have been happy to wait and have a perfect musty old book to add to my collection.....

ps if anyone has a solution to flattening these page ripples apart from ironing and heavy books
I would appreciate it..


Michael,

Thanks for the kind words about the effect! I'm glad you like it! As far as the aging goes, I'm sorry to hear that. I'll do what I can to make it right for you. Everybody else has been happy with the books, but I realize that everyone's tastes are different. It sounds like you want your book to look old, but not really used. Creases, dogears and stains are all part of old books. A "perfect" or "flawless" old book is not what I was going for. In fact, the imperfections and flaws are part of my design and a lot of people have been commending me on that. I wasn't setting out to make a book that looks like it'd sat on a shelf for a century; moreso one that had been used every day for the last hundred years by three generations of fortune tellers and maybe a gypsy for good measure.

As far as the damp pages goes, that must've been a fluke and I'll take care of it for you immediately.

Here's what I can offer you:

1. I'll send you an unaged book. Perfect and completely flat.

OR

2. I'll send you an aged book according to your preferences (no stains or creases or ripples- completely flat and evenly aged- no sun stains whatsoever)

I'll send you a PM and we can figure it out in more detail.

The last thing I want is an unhappy customer. I'll gladly replace yours with one that makes you happy, we'll discuss the aging in more detail.

Check your PMs.

Thanks,

Bobby Hasbun
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1760 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
First rate response and service!!
RandyScott
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of RandyScott
Now, this is just my opinion.
I think Mr. Clifton’s criticism is a little harsh.

First, in my opinion, I believe the established leaders when it comes to bizarre magic products are (in no particular order): Outlaw, Lebanon Circle, and Alchemy Moon. (Including Prof BC for Outlaw/LC and Vic Natada for Outlaw and now Gemini Artifacts). These companies have set the (quality) bar.

If requested, I believe some of these companies would sell their “aged” products “un-aged.”
I say “I believe” they would because it is difficult and time consuming to age the products, and I have never made such a request. (In fact, I believe Alchemy Moon has stopped selling aged/elite Cuss Cards because it was too time consuming - you can get the King Edition and age them yourself).

Here is a photo of an “aged” book I received from one of the “three top” bizarre magic producers. I won’t say which one and have tried to block out the words (but, I’m sure many of you will recognize it).

Image


As you can see the pages are warped from the ageing. When not in use, the book is pressed down but several other heavy books. This is the condition after years of “pressure storage.”

Regarding sporadic staining, here are three pages from the above noted book.


Image



Image



Image


****Please note, these photos are from one of the top bizarre magic producers.****

Obviously, with an individually hand-aged book, each copy will vary.

In fact, regarding his edition of C0dex V3neficium, Andre Hagen stated, “ I was immediately struck by the excellent aged appearance...not too much or too little, but just the right amount for believability.”

Mr. Clifton compared his aged C0dex V3neficium to Gh*st and Ph@an@ms.
That might be an unfair comparison. The good Professor has taken aged props to a whole new level. In addition, I believe both those books were 150 pounds (quoted from the Prof himself on the Gh*st Magic Café thread).

Now with that being said, I have seen several copies of C0dex V3neficium. In my opinion, each of these copies (of C0dex V3neficium I have seen) were superior (in quality of ageing) than the above noted aged book from one of the best bizarre magic producers.

It is difficult to age a book, Tarot card, or any other prop. I won’t do it myself. (One mistake and you could ruin a $100 to $200 prop). I’m satisfied with the way it is aged.

Now, please allow me to discuss the main issue, the effect itself.
Mr. Clifton even indicates C0dex V3neficium is a great effect.
The book has received positive reviews/comments from Magical Dimensions (Ray), Jessie James McGuire, Brynmore13, afinemesh, Cunningham, Andre Hagen, Roni, and Dr. Spektor.

I know this thread has stretched on for numerous pages and is time consuming to read from the start, But...please go to page 1 and read my original post for a description of just one fantastic effect you can do with this. Most importantly, this great effect is also a powerful tool. It allows you to secretly obtain some very important and useful information. As this is a tool, many performers are coming up with their own unique ways to use it...And Bobby keeps updating the PDF with these new ideas.

Hey Bobby, I’ve got an idea for the next PDF.
Use C0dex V3neficium, to get the necessary info, and then use a center tear to get the social security number. I call it identity theft. Still working on a kicker/conclusion for identity theft,
Any suggestions?

Seriously though...I rarely (almost never) recommend a product on the Café, but I highly recommend C0dex V3neficium.

I’m telling you this because Bobby is getting ready to start the final 25 copies (I believe).
If you miss out on this, you will regret it.



PS. As I was typing this out, I noticed Bobby’s response. Wow. That is great customer service.
Michael Clifton
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Michael Clifton
Yes Bobby has Great Customer Service and I will be speaking to him to sort this out.
He has sent me a pm and I am sure we will resolve the ageing issues.
Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right!
jesse_james_mcguire
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of jesse_james_mcguire
I suggest that you give the book to a laymen and tell them it's old and see what they have to say.. Being Witches or Codex or whatever, every aged book that I have PURCHASED has been thought to be the real thing by laymen..

Also you should handle you're props like they are old and fragile and are a treasure and this will make it more believable. If you believe it you're spectators will, and I truly believe this...


May I also suggest putting a few heavy objects on the book and put it outside to dry. I have done that and it seemed to help.
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1522 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Mine arrived yesterday. Beautiful effect and beautiful prop and pretty much self working. Looks great in candlelight next to an Alchemy Gothic palmistry hand.

http://www.13moons.com/index.php?main_pa......f7fd1eb3
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
Wow now that is very strong customer service! very direct and to the point.
bobbyhasbun
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of bobbyhasbun
Quote:
On 2013-10-19 12:12, JAlenS wrote:
Mine arrived yesterday. Beautiful effect and beautiful prop and pretty much self working. Looks great in candlelight next to an Alchemy Gothic palmistry hand.

http://www.13moons.com/index.php?main_pa......f7fd1eb3
Nothing makes me happier than to hear that Smile And that hand in conjunction with the book.... Great idea!
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
I love the idea of the aging being an option. I have also received a book from a top manufacturer in the past that looked horrible. (I suspect it is the same product pictured above but in soft cover.) The cover looked like a child had done part of it with model paint. Its so bad I was not sure I would even use it. I had seen other peoples copies that looked great and yet mine looked like crap. It turned out to be one of my favorites and I use it all the time but the terrible job on the cover and the "looks like it spent a month in a urinal" aging process has called its authenticity into question more than a few times. I would love to have a non aged copy of that effect. This is in no way a comment on THIS product. I just like the idea of non aged copies being available. ...especially for books that are under 100 yrs old. I carry my favorites with me everyday and they would quickly take on a used but respected appearance.
challengedmichael
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of challengedmichael
I was alerted to this effect by Andre Hagen and having read through the threads I am happy to have been able to jump the band wagon and order a copy.
TH1
View Profile
Special user
Zombies beware! I have your heads on
590 Posts

Profile of TH1
I was on the fence getting this, as I have way too many book-related-effects. However, the great customer service story pushed me to go ahead and place the order. And speaking of great customer service, literally within minutes of placing my order I received an e-maiil from Bobby thanking me for the order and double checking that I had intended to order two copies. Ermmm...well, no...I had intended to order only one copy. Turns out, a small mishap on my part with PayPal resulted in 2 copies being ordered. Bobby sorted this out in no time, and a full refund was issued within very short order on the inadvertent second order. Less than 5 mins in placing my order, and I'm experiencing outstanding customer service!
Beware of evil spirits...and depleted batteries! Smile
TheHauntedOne.com
Assembly11.com
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
Just read the pdf and all I can say is I'm REALLY glad I got my order in. I was on the fence at first myself because no matter how awesome the book looks and sounds I was sure it was going to involve some fishy math method that I wouldn't care for. All the rave reviews about the method made me cave. Fantastic well hidden method and so many performance possibilities. I can't wait to get my hands on this.
jglumley
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
240 Posts

Profile of jglumley
How do we get the pdf ?
The "18"
bobbyhasbun
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of bobbyhasbun
Quote:
On 2013-10-19 22:10, jglumley wrote:
How do we get the pdf ?
It's emailed out to every customer. I sent you yours already... Check your spam folder though. I'll resend it right now just in case!
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Quote:
On 2013-10-19 06:23, jesse_james_mcguire wrote:
I suggest that you give the book to a laymen and tell them it's old and see what they have to say.. Being Witches or Codex or whatever, every aged book that I have PURCHASED has been thought to be the real thing by laymen..

Also you should handle you're props like they are old and fragile and are a treasure and this will make it more believable. If you believe it you're spectators will, and I truly believe this...


May I also suggest putting a few heavy objects on the book and put it outside to dry. I have done that and it seemed to help.


I can also suggest putting the book inside your vacuum cleaner or in a bag with the dust from the cleaner and then shaking it around....a kind of shake and bake treatment....
bobbyhasbun
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of bobbyhasbun
Quote:
On 2013-10-20 03:50, DrTodd wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-10-19 06:23, jesse_james_mcguire wrote:
I suggest that you give the book to a laymen and tell them it's old and see what they have to say.. Being Witches or Codex or whatever, every aged book that I have PURCHASED has been thought to be the real thing by laymen..

Also you should handle you're props like they are old and fragile and are a treasure and this will make it more believable. If you believe it you're spectators will, and I truly believe this...


May I also suggest putting a few heavy objects on the book and put it outside to dry. I have done that and it seemed to help.


I can also suggest putting the book inside your vacuum cleaner or in a bag with the dust from the cleaner and then shaking it around....a kind of shake and bake treatment....
That's a great idea, Dr. Todd! For an extra fee, I'll apply that technique to your copy... Smile
steven-gibson
View Profile
Special user
Eastcoastspiritsessions.com
889 Posts

Profile of steven-gibson
Just read the manual. This is very good and practicle to boot. The kind of thing that I will actually use. Looking forward to getting my copy and putting it in a vacuum cleaner bag.
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Yes, this is a truly wonderful creation with so much power within its pages.
jesse_james_mcguire
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of jesse_james_mcguire
I looked at the contents of my vacuum clean and there was nothing in it! Guess I need to clean my floors LOL.. Or I just just slide Codex around on the carpet..

But seriously DrTodd that was a great Idea!

I wounder what would happen if you buried the book in the cloth for a weak or two..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » C0DEX V3NEFICIUM (19 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10..23~24~25 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL