The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » C0DEX V3NEFICIUM (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..23~24~25 [Next]
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
My first copy was damaged by USPS. My second was held up by USPS due to weather. (I had a tracking number and could see this to be true) Bobby went out of his way more than once to make sure when I opened this package it was a magic moment. This effect has so far been met with blank stares followed by a grin by other magicians I have tried it on. Im going full live with it tomorrow. I cannot wait to see what comes next from Bobby as anyone who has delt with him knows him by name and would absolutely do business again. I have probably 8 or more emails from him when my package was delayed apologizing and updating me on the hell being raised to get it in my hands. ...so thanks and thumbs up!
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Bobby,I can only repeat what already has been said before!
Finished the PDF,and can now only say ...Thank You! Smile
Now,the wait for arrival of book!
I can see how emoitonal,this can be...

Gary
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Hey godzy did you get #100????
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1627 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
My original book, never arrived, Bobby kept an open and concerned communication, and when we realized that was lost, he sent me another one, no question asked.
Excellent service and great guy.
I will buy from him again...
Pablo
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Quote:
On 2013-12-22 09:17, Dr Spektor wrote:
Hey godzy did you get #100????

Dr Spektor,I do have the final copy coming.
I do not think they are numbered,tho!
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
bobbyhasbun
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of bobbyhasbun
First of all, I’d like to extend a huge “Thank You” to every single person who has posted on this topic, as well as those “lurkers” who have given me their support in private.
I only made fifty books to start with, and I regretted that decision the moment that I made it. How could I possibly sell fifty? I was so unsure of myself that I didn’t age them all; I just aged ten. And ten seemed like a stretch. I was honestly (and optimistically) hoping to just sell the first ten by January. We haven’t even seen January yet and not only have I sold the first fifty, but another fifty as well. It really has been overwhelming. I’m working full time as a mechanic (fifty hours a week). Coming home from a ten-hour day and aging books for another 4-6 hours is the hardest work I’ve ever experienced. On the same token, it’s been the most rewarding and in retrospect I’d work twice as hard for such amazing feedback and comments from you guys. There were moments were I was so overwhelmed that I was sure I was in over my head- and I was. There were many books ruined. I probably threw away close to 20 books. It was a learning curve with lots of mistakes made (expensive mistakes), but it all worked out and looking back it was the most rewarding thing I’ve ever done.
Which brings me to my next point: future projects. More specifically- Codex V. Ever since I sold out a few days ago, I’ve received almost fifteen PMs and emails. I would never just jump in to making a second edition or an extremely limited edition unless you all thought it was OK. So I thought I’d humbly ask of you all for your permission to make a second edition of these books. To be fair to the collectors, it’d be an obvious second edition. Different look/color scheme on the cover (possibly even leather), and it’d say “Second Edition” somewhere on it. I’m not doing this for me, but for the many people who’ve asked me if I’d ever re-release it. I promised them I’d ask. Again, I’m not doing anything of the sort without an obviously high amount of blessing from you all. So, if you have any thoughts on this, please let me know here on this thread. I want this to be a group decision. Someone suggested having the cover stamp be silver instead of gold and having it say “second edition” on the cover/author page. Throw your ideas out there or even just your thoughts on whether or not it should be done. I’m so new at this that I don’t know what’s socially acceptable in this “world”. Let me know.
The second pdf is coming soon. I’ve only received three ideas and two are from the same guy (Bryn aka Brynmore13/14). I was hoping to get at least five but maybe even ten before releasing it. If I don’t get any more in the next three or four weeks I’ll just publish it with the ideas I’ve received.
For the sake of brevity (too late?), I’d just like to thank you all for the support and help. You’ve proved that in a world of intense marketing and cut-throat business, our small bizarre world is all about the quality of the ideas and will open its arms to anyone who pours their heart into something, even if they’re an absolute nobody.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
I'm still waiting for mine and with all the talk of copies being lost in the mail, I'm starting to get nervous!
bobbyhasbun
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of bobbyhasbun
Quote:
On 2013-12-22 16:43, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
I'm still waiting for mine and with all the talk of copies being lost in the mail, I'm starting to get nervous!
Check your PMs! I'm sure it's fine Smile Christmas time is crazy.
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2158 Posts

Profile of RCP
Thanks Bobby! Even though my copy may be lost in the great ice storm that hit Texas...... if it, or a second copy, does eventually show up I say print more. Personally I would have liked to age my own copy anyway. You are not the first guy here to have started a labor of love....... only to have it turn into a nightmare. Do what you wish with regards to additional copies.

Thanks again and best wishes,

Craig
Sparrowhwk
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Sparrowhwk
On behalf of those of us who were caught napping - while trying to justify more spending on props:
If you do decide to bring out a second edition, could it be identified in ways OTHER than the words second edition? Changing the color of the cover or markings would be fine, but as I understand it - the "second edition" statement would negate some of the back story.
Please understand that I am coming from a position of not knowing exactly how this book works or is used, but I was thinking that it was described as a copy of an ancient (or at least arcane) unique book (ie. there would only ever have been one edition).
Just some thoughts from someone who missed out - and would love to see a non-collectors edition at a lower price if that were possible, while maintaining a reasonable impression of a genuine old book.
Thanks for considering this.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2013-12-22 18:07, Sparrowhwk wrote:
On behalf of those of us who were caught napping - while trying to justify more spending on props:
If you do decide to bring out a second edition, could it be identified in ways OTHER than the words second edition? Changing the color of the cover or markings would be fine, but as I understand it - the "second edition" statement would negate some of the back story.
Please understand that I am coming from a position of not knowing exactly how this book works or is used, but I was thinking that it was described as a copy of an ancient (or at least arcane) unique book (ie. there would only ever have been one edition).
Just some thoughts from someone who missed out - and would love to see a non-collectors edition at a lower price if that were possible, while maintaining a reasonable impression of a genuine old book.
Thanks for considering this.

Hi Guys.

Bobby and I have been discussing the Codex for quite a while. He was my partner on the 5 Shot tarot last year.

He was thrilled that the book was extremely well received but even before it sold out (incredibly fast) he was receiving emails from people that wanted to buy it but didn't have the finances in place to jump on it that quick. This is rather common in this area, where a purchase has to be "planned for" sometime in the near future.

The end result of the quick sell out was a lot of people didn't have a chance to get one.

He has a very busy schedule with work and as much as he would like some more to be available, he just doesn't have the time to do it.

He and I had been discussing my new Diary effect (which Bobby has been contributing to, along with Vic Nadata) and he asked me if the guys said it was OK would I be willing to produce 50 first edition, second printing Codex books.

They would have a navy blue cover and a silver embossed symbol and be fully aged. I told him I would be willing to produce and handle the distribution of the book.

This discussion has been going on the past month with Bobby and I.

I told him it is important that he get the OK from a good majority of Codex buyers before he goes ahead with the additional second printing run of the final 50 units.

As an assurance I discussed with Bobby that the run would then be over and the book would not be printed again after the final additional 50 units are sold.

So the machine is in place to make a second print of the book. It will look different than the first print.

Let Bobby know what you think and Bobby will make the decision whether or not to release an additional 50 revised units (First Edition second print, different cover)
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
steven-gibson
View Profile
Special user
Eastcoastspiritsessions.com
888 Posts

Profile of steven-gibson
As a purchaser of Codex, I am fine with this. Creators should make some money. Gives them an insentive to continue creating.
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Bobby Hasbun, Rick Roth and Vic Nadata...now there's a combination! I will be in line for anything those three come up with together.

I have an early copy of Codex and I encourage Bobby to allow the printing of the fifty new copies. He deserves the profit.

As hard as he worked to create this treasure, he has worked even harder to age and handle the logistics involved in packaging and shipping them.

(Something Rick has dealt with successfully for years too!).

Andre
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Bobby,do what you want! Smile
But,Never,Never,Never just use a limit comment,to just sell a product! (we Hate that!)
Give a COA with edition number,with Future releases...we love that! Smile
RandyScott
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of RandyScott
Quote:
On 2013-12-22 19:22, steven-gibson wrote:
As a purchaser of Codex, I am fine with this. Creators should make some money. Gives them an insentive to continue creating.

I agree completely.
In addition, I would not even limit it to just 50.
piyuyu
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of piyuyu
I'm alright with another additional 50, and I might just get another one for that matter.
horus1
View Profile
Special user
640 Posts

Profile of horus1
I think it's great. I completely agree with Steven.. creatives need to make money to be able to keep creating.
Love that Bobby is partnering with Outlaw.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I really like this book and think that is adds so much to the theme of WTF!!!!!

After the back story this thing grabs attention and spooks people.

I like the idea of another run of CODEX books. In my opinion, why do a limited number. There are only a small market for things of this nature. Kept the price somewhat high will keep it out of the hands of the curious.

I would like to see this second print of books made sightly different from the first by adding a thing or two. First I think that it might be cool to have a poem at the beginning of the new book. The poem should be in keeping with the theme and written in old world language. It would talk about this book of life and death and hint at something else (to be determined). The poem would be a way of telling buyers that this is the second print run of books. Instead of having the words, '2nd print' written for all to see, use the poem as a gauge of letting folks know that this is the Second printing. This is (supposed) to be a CODEX book and it wasn't mass produced. If anything, it was printed as an underground book and was meant only for certain eyes. If the words, '2nd printing' is included in the book, you might as we'll add a bar code to totally destroy the backstory and make this just another 'magic prop'.

Since this book can tell you the birthdate of anyone living or passed by using a pendulum over the snake chart, maybe for the death date, there might be another more darker pendulum chart with a death poem on the opposite page. Of course you would only hint at this part of the book and maybe do a dead and alive routine with this dark chart. Just an idea. Seems to me that you would have two different pendulum charts for the life and death dates.

The first printing is a great book, but I foresee that the second printing could make this book MORE amazing by adding a thing here and there.

I haven't been using the book as much as when I first received it because of other projects I have been working on. But I had started doing something different at the end of the routine that seemed to be cool. I just forgot to write to Bobby about it to see if he liked it. I guess a PM is in order! There is also a little thing to add to the snake chart that would make this user friendly to the sitter and expand the routine.

Bobby, you have hit a home run with this.

Best
Ray
Cris Cringle
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Cris Cringle
I am still waiting for mine as well. I hope it isn't with those that are lost Smile

Chris
bobbyhasbun
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of bobbyhasbun
Chris, tracking for all domestic books shipped in your batch shows an estimated arrival of December 26th. PM me with the email you used to buy the book and ill send you the tracking. All the domestic ones that were lost were due to the Midwest storms.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » C0DEX V3NEFICIUM (19 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..23~24~25 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL