The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Congratulations Pittsburgh Pirates!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
It's been a long time coming, but, the Bucs spanked the Reds tonight 6-2 thanks to masterful pitching from ace Francisco Liriano, Malon Byrd's first postseason home run, and Russell Martin's two homers. We go on now to the NLDS and play the St. Louis Cardinals and during the regular season, the Pirates won the team series against the Redbirds.

It's been a hell of a ride so far and it's freaking GREAT that THIS year, the Pirates own October (Buctober) instead of the Steelers!!

Raise the Jolly Roger!!!!
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
*facepalm* Sometimes, I hate being a Reds fan...

Cueto shouldn't have been pitching last night because he hasn't pitched much all year. Latos should've done the honor. And Marshall shouldnt've taken over after Cueto for the same reason. Then Phillips uncharacteristically bobbled that ground ball, Votto struck out a few times...and that's the story of Cincinnati sports.

Well, picking between the Pirates and the Cardinals, I'm Bucs all the way. Hope they do well the rest of the way.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-10-02 07:06, satellite23 wrote:
*facepalm* Sometimes, I hate being a Reds fan...

Cueto shouldn't have been pitching last night because he hasn't pitched much all year. Latos should've done the honor. And Marshall shouldnt've taken over after Cueto for the same reason. Then Phillips uncharacteristically bobbled that ground ball, Votto struck out a few times...and that's the story of Cincinnati sports.

Well, picking between the Pirates and the Cardinals, I'm Bucs all the way. Hope they do well the rest of the way.

Satellite, I'm not going to gloat. You have a GREAT team in Cincinnati. That said, I was really puzzled at Baker's managerial strategy - or lack thereof. I fully expected in a win or go home game that Baker would have had Latos ready in case; we had the same plan for Gerritt Cole if Liriano was shaky.

Cincinnati has such amazing talent and believe me my friend, we Pirates fans did NOT go into that game thinking it was going to be a laugher. Every hitter and every pitcher you have is dangerous, and any one of them on a given day can break another team in a heartbeat.

Red's fans are calling for Baker's head and maybe it is time. He couldn't get the job done in San Francisco, and, bitter for you guys last season was going into the NLCS at home with a 2 game lead and losing. I watches that series last year and as much as the Pirates and Reds have a long standing rivalry between them dating back to the glory days of Clemente, Stargell, Robertson, Bench, Perez, Rose, etc., I was rooting hard for the Reds because I really wanted an NL Central team to take it all the way.

Last night after the game - I was up until 6:30 AM CEST watching it on MLB TV - Baker stated that the Pirates won on a few lucky bloop hits. Maybe Dusty was at a different game, but three hoe runs are not exactly what any baseball fan would call "bloops." But the Reds players showed class at least and stated that they choked and they had no one to blame but themselves.

Don't be ashamed of being a Reds fan Satellite! Cincinnati is a GREAT baseball city. Remember that the very first professional baseball team was the Cincinnati Red Stockings in 1869! Your franchise, like the Pirates, is a storied franchise filled with great players and great moments. The Big Red Machine of 1975 was unstoppable and I for one place them in the same legendary company as the 1927 Yankees, the 1934 Cardinals, and the 1902 and 1971 Pirates.

Now, we are going to St. Louis and do our very best to represent the NL Central well. It's going to be a hell of a series, and IF the Cardinals win, I'll be rooting hard for them against either Atlanta or Los Angeles in the NLCS. Against the Braves because in the 90s they had the temerity to label themselves "America's Team" and the Dodgers because they are media darlings. Besides, the NL West is weak.

Be proud, but, fire Dusty Baker!

Best,
Vlad
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
724 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
It's great to see a team that's been bad for so many years finally get back in the hunt. I have a buddy here in Eugene, that's from that area. Each year he would always say, "If they just get over 500 for the season I'll be happy"
Myself, I'm a Royals fan, at least they got over the 500 plato for a change.
Bob.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-10-02 09:10, Dr. Delusion wrote:
It's great to see a team that's been bad for so many years finally get back in the hunt. I have a buddy here in Eugene, that's from that area. Each year he would always say, "If they just get over 500 for the season I'll be happy"
Myself, I'm a Royals fan, at least they got over the 500 plato for a change.
Bob.

Yes it is and what many people forget is that for most of baseball's history, the Pirates were considered one of the besr franchises in baseball. Don't work Dr. Delusion, your Royals are on the way up! Another team with a great history and a very cool ballpark!!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Can't say much for my Mariners this year, but at least we still have Felix Hernandez, so we do get some great games. (But, then again, we also have the Seahawks in the NFL, so I can't complain too much.)

But okay, as an old Willie Stargell fan, I'll go ahead and root for the Pirates.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I'm a Reds (and Mets) fan, but any Baseball fan with an appreciation for history can't be too upset to see the Pirates back in the playoffs.

Plus, I have a preseason bet on the Tigers to win the World Series at just over 9-1, so the Reds being out from the get-go will spare me a later conflict of interest.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
Vlad:

Great response, first of all Smile

I could go on and on about the Reds right now. The window of opportuinty for them to win a WS with this team is rapidly closing. On the other hand, the Pirates' is just opening, and they have a great chance at winning one in the next few years.

As a major Reds fan, let me tell you what I think about them.

They are going to need a new LF (Ludwick is getting old) and CF (Choo might leave to free agency). Billy Hamilton just isn't going to cut it in the outfield because although he is lightning quick, he can't hit the ball.

Bronson Arroyo is probably leaving or retiring as well, which would be a detriment to the pitching staff. He is consistently a workhorse, putting up 200 innings a year. And he teaches our younger pitchers (Leake, Cueto, Cingrani) so well that it would be impossible to replace him. He is a team leader both on and off the field.

Aroldis Chapman's contract ending is coming up soon, I doubt we can afford him...again. Which only compounds to the problems of our bullpen, which was the best in the league last year. But this year--nope. They weren't nearly as strong. Plus, Reds personnel need to stop playing teeter-totter with Chapman every year. Either he's the closer, or he's not. He would be a terrible starter, but he is one of the best closers in the game.

Votto and Phillips are jumping into their early thirties. Yes, they are the best in baseball right now, but they're production will start wavering soon.

Cozart is lucky because he has Phillips playing opposite of him, and he has become one of the best defensive shortstops in the game. But his offense is SO TERRIBLE. He has absolutely no confidence at the plate. However, I think he's going to develop into a good player in the far future. He reminds me of Jay Bruce, who also used to seem very uptight in the batter's box. But Bruce has turned out to be a star, both offensively and defensively.

Don't get me wrong, we love Dusty Baker. He's a personable guy, and he brought the Reds to the playoffs 3/4 years, something which hadn't been done in a decade.Of course, some of that also falls on the GMs who drafter Votto, Bruce, Frazier, and traded for some guys.

Baker is just a terrible post-season manager. Always has been, always will be. That's the one thing that makes us mad at him. But when April rolls around again, everything is forgiven because our local media makes the Reds seem like the next best thing. I remember before last season when Walt Jocketty randomly pulled a contract out of his rear end for Votto. The entire city got excited. And then a week later, on Opening Day, he announced on live television that they were going to give Phillips a life-long extension, too. I could feel a collective shiver going down Cincinnati's spine. We believed.

And we still believed in October, when the Reds were up 2-0 against the Giants. The Reds were supposed to win the WS last year. They were by far the best team in the MLB. I don't know what happened. After they got swept at home, I just wanted to go to sleep for the next five months.

And I hope that the Pirates beat the Cards. I hate the Redbirds with a passion. Even more so because they're even better without Pujols, whom I hate as well.
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
Cardinals just DESTROYED the Pirates.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-10-03 20:08, satellite23 wrote:
Cardinals just DESTROYED the Pirates.

Five games series, but, yes, and I have no idea why Clint Hurdle didn't yank Burnett even sooner than that three run jack. It was very clear that Burnett wasn't finding the strike zone. But, for argument's sake, okay, I'll concede that maybe Hurdle felt that Burnett would settle down. But, when you walk the pitcher to lead off the inning and two hitters later a three run bomb is hit. Should have pulled Burnett then and there especially with the very strong Pirates bullpen.

But, as Yogi Berra has stated "it ain't over 'til it's over."
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
Side note: Dusty Baker is no longer the Reds manager. Not sure if he was terminated or if he stepped down. Press conference tomorrow.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-10-04 08:16, satellite23 wrote:
Side note: Dusty Baker is no longer the Reds manager. Not sure if he was terminated or if he stepped down. Press conference tomorrow.

All due respect Satellite, Baker's departure could well be the best thing to happen to the Reds in a long time. You guys have tons of talent, but you need a manager to get the post season job done. Best of luck for Cincy in 2014!!

Best,
Vlad
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
Quote:
On 2013-10-04 08:42, Vlad_77 wrote:
Quote:

All due respect Satellite, Baker's departure could well be the best thing to happen to the Reds in a long time. You guys have tons of talent, but you need a manager to get the post season job done. Best of luck for Cincy in 2014!!

Best,
Vlad

Possibly Smile But I liked Dusty: his personality, old-school mentality, presence...But yeah, we need to get somebody in there who can bring the WS ring back to Cincinnati. It's gonna be weird without him next year. I just hope whoever comes in doesn't support Chpman becoming a starter.

Honestly, our GM Walt Jocketty might be the best in the MLB. It was him that traded Griffey and Dunn, him that acquired Chapman, Choo, Ludwick, and a plethora of good pitchers. It was him that extended Votto's and Phillip's contracts, and could very well do the same for Choo. He used to be GM in St. Louis a few years ago, so he knows what it takes to win WS rings. Removing Baker is the next step, and I fully support Mr. Jocketty all the way. He knows what he's doing, even though he keeps pulling rabbits out of his hat.

Honestly, Vlad, I don't think your Pirates are going to win it this year. The Cardinals exposed everything wrong with them the other night. I think they're going to get swept in the division series.

WS prediciton? Cardinals vs. Athletics, with the Redbirds pulling out a close victory. Maybe 6 or 7 games.

But I think the Pirates will win the division next year, and possibly beat the Cardinals/Reds sometime in the playoffs. They have consistently gotten better each year for the past 3-4. Before trhe season started, I predicted that they would've made the Wild Card this year. Got it right. Next year, they're winning the division.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I suspect the Baker firing was a bad move. Playoff exits have been random statistical mechanism, imo.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-10-04 14:35, satellite23 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-10-04 08:42, Vlad_77 wrote:
Quote:

Best,
Vlad

Possibly Smile But I liked Dusty: his personality, old-school mentality, presence...But yeah, we need to get somebody in there who can bring the WS ring back to Cincinnati. It's gonna be weird without him next year. I just hope whoever comes in doesn't support Chpman becoming a starter.

Honestly, our GM Walt Jocketty might be the best in the MLB. It was him that traded Griffey and Dunn, him that acquired Chapman, Choo, Ludwick, and a plethora of good pitchers. It was him that extended Votto's and Phillip's contracts, and could very well do the same for Choo. He used to be GM in St. Louis a few years ago, so he knows what it takes to win WS rings. Removing Baker is the next step, and I fully support Mr. Jocketty all the way. He knows what he's doing, even though he keeps pulling rabbits out of his hat.

Honestly, Vlad, I don't think your Pirates are going to win it this year. The Cardinals exposed everything wrong with them the other night. I think they're going to get swept in the division series.

WS prediciton? Cardinals vs. Athletics, with the Redbirds pulling out a close victory. Maybe 6 or 7 games.

But I think the Pirates will win the division next year, and possibly beat the Cardinals/Reds sometime in the playoffs. They have consistently gotten better each year for the past 3-4. Before trhe season started, I predicted that they would've made the Wild Card this year. Got it right. Next year, they're winning the division.

Well my friend, we're not getting swept. Smile We just beat the Redbirds 7-1, evened the series. Now it shifts to Pittsburgh on Sunday. Should be a hell of matchup between Liriano and Kelly!

Being a student of baseball history, I want to see a Pirates and Red Sox World Series. The first World Series was played in 1903 and Boston won. One hundred and ten years later, it would be a nice round number and we would win. Smile But, believe me, I don't underestimate any team. I have a healthy respect for the Cardinals as I do the Reds. In the American League, Oakland looks really formidable.

LOL Have to say I am happy the Braves got spanked by LA last night!!

Lastly, I like Dusty Baker too and Bob Costas mentioned this evening that every year in polls among players about managers they would like to play under, Baker is always near or at the top. But I think Dusty might be jinxed in the NL. Perhaps an AL team should snag him.

Best,
Vlad
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

The bad new for Cincinnati began when they lost Lou Pinella as manager. That was the beginning of good news for the Mariners.

Seems like there are lots of National League fans here, but I'm picking Oakland to go all the way.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Scherzer is lights-out for Detroit tonight...through 4 innings, one hit and seven strikeouts, including all 3 batters he faced in the 4th.

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-10-04 23:02, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Scherzer is lights-out for Detroit tonight...through 4 innings, one hit and seven strikeouts, including all 3 batters he faced in the 4th.

Maybe I spoke to soon. Maybe I should dust off my crystal ball.

Then again, Oakland is keeping it close at 3-2 in the eighth.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20040 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well since the Cubs were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs in spring training I resent all this post season baseball talk!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-10-05 00:22, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-10-04 23:02, LobowolfXXX wrote:

Maybe I spoke to soon. Maybe I should dust off my crystal ball.

Then again, Oakland is keeping it close at 3-2 in the eighth.

It's only one game...fortunately for Oakland, no more Scherzer for a while.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Congratulations Pittsburgh Pirates!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL