The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Congratulations Pittsburgh Pirates!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Cardinals win in a walk off in the bottom of the 13th by Carlos Beltran. Wacha vs. Kershaw today. Grienke pitched very well while Kelly was a bit off in the early innings and had to pitch out of a few jams. That said, a remarkable performance and he pitches the Dodgers better than against the Pirates overall.

To Satellite, I think that St. Louis without Pujols is a very good thing. What I admire about the Cardinals - leaving out the fact that they beat my Bucs in five - is that the Cards were not a home run hitting team nor were they the crazy basestealers of the 80's and 90's. But, great pitching and timely hitting with RISP hearkens back to the days of the Deadball Era. The Cardinals play as if Babe Ruth and the long ball never occurred. Wainwright and Kershaw today! Should be a helluva duel!

I do think that baseball is bouncing back. It is shattering its own attendance records and revenue year after year of late. Also, and no disrespect to football fans, but, a baseball pennant race is far more exciting. Sports fans are rediscovering the beauty of the unpredictability of baseball. One thing however I am dreading is the football inspired extending of the instant replay rules next season. I understand football's need for instant replay because NFL referees do not have schedule of baseball umpires. In the NFL, referees are paid a pittance and only referee 18 times a season. In the MLB, you have to go to umpire school, then, just as the players, you have to start at Rookie ball and work your way up to The Show. Problem is that there are not a lot of spots open at the Major League level. Also, while umpires do make some mistakes, studies have shown that umpires are quite accurate 99 percent of the time with their calls whereas NFL referees tend to make significantly more bad calls.

But yes, baseball at all levels is enjoying great popularity again. It's the only major sport that is still affordable to see at the Major League level and the minor leagues - affiliated and independent - offer so much bang for the buck for baseball fans.

Man I MISS America!!! I really need to come home. I have tried to get interested in football (soccer) here and it's just a bleh game. I didn't like it in the US and I still don't like it here. I should note that baseball isn't the only reason I want to come home BTW. Problem is I have an audition for a band here that has gotten radio play inside and outside of Holland. They have two EPs out and want to do a full blown CD. They've been gaining popularity in the UK and I have to make a tough choice: go with this band, or, return to America, play in a band (and perform magic) and get my PhD. The clock is ticking.

Anyhow, the baseball season and postseason makes me feel at "home" again. The games are on late here and thank heaven I don't have to hear a word of Dutch! Smile
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Another great pitching duel in St. Louis...scoreless in the 5th.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Cardinals got out of a bases loaded jam - NICE work! So far, the Pirates have played the Cards a lot tougher but I have to credit the Dodger's pitching for keeping the games close. That said, St. Louis really seems to have the edge. Great starting rotation and a deep bullpen. It's now 1-0 Cardinals going to the top of the ninth.

I love pitching duels and this one is a beauty.

Go Cards and win it for the NL Central and to show that you don't need a 200 million dollar payroll to make it to the World Series!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
And ANOTHER great pitching duel going on in the ALCS...two hits total through four innings.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
As Mr. T would say, I pity the poor fool who ain't watchin' the Tigers-Red Sox game!

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
WOW, Tiger pitchers combine to strike out SEVENTEEN Boston batters and take a no-hitter into the 9th, but the Red Sox (on ONE hit) get the tying run to second base in the bottom of the ninth.

That's a brutal beat for the Sox...their ace was beat, and the Tigers didn't pitch their #1 OR #2 starter (though only on this team could the A.L. ERA leader be the third starter). Down 1-0 with Scherzer and Verlander still to face. I like L.A.'s chances more than Boston's at this point.

vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10662 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Mets wait till next year
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Congratulations Pittsburgh Pirates!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL