The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The government might be shut down, but I'm open for business (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Since I know, by the PM's I receive, that many of you are interested in my entrepreneurial efforts, I'm happy to announce that yesterday I officially launched my new membership site. 24 hours later I had nearly 100 members. I expect to grow it to about 300 members paying $10 a month, but the potential could be much greater. Those who want to check it out can go to http://www.onlyemaildesign.com

I've just started the planning stages of a new membership site called Entreprenerds.org, inspired by a word used by Thomas Pynchon in his new novel. It will be aimed at sole proprietors and small entrepreneurs who need a peer network for support, ideas, and to ask questions.

I conceived of the OED site about 3 months ago when I was speaking to someone at a trade show. Seemed like a real need. Boy, was that correct.

Cost to register the domain: $10
Cost to host the site: $35 a month
Development costs: about $400 because I used a site called 99designs.com to design the logo: Great resource by the way. You tell them how much you want to pay (minimum $300) and a group of designers creates logos for you in a contest. At the end of 5 days, you award a winner who gets $200 and $100 goes to the site. Pretty slick. Additional costs were for my developer to do some of the heavy lifting I couldn't do, about $100 worth.
Site development: I built the site myself in Joomla. Cost; $0
Marketing costs; $0. I used Facebook and Twitter to promote it, and of course leveraged my other site for members.

Overall profit expect per year: approximately $30k a year.
Actually time spent developing and promoting: probably about 100 hours. Maybe less.

I hope, for those of you interested, that with my Entreprenerds.org site, (launch, hopefully in about 3 or 4 months) that I will be able to help and encourage those who also want to learn how to be a sole proprietor how to do it, or at least, how I did it. Check out the site if you want, and if you want to see my other site go to http://www.onlyinfluencers.com

And now maybe Danny will get off my back about my alias. Smile You'll know who I am after you go to those sites.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20040 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well fair is fair.

Congratulations on your successful launch and your entrepreneurship. No bs, no hidden meanings just congratulations and best wishes for you in the future. You obviously put some work, and thought into this and I wish you the best of success.

More than half of success is showing up. Just having the nerve to fail, and risk it and move forward. I think it serves as a great example for others.

Keep us posted. Seriously. Success like this can be inspirational.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
"Pivotal Veracity" eh?

I did however find this page very very interesting.
http://www.onlyinfluencers.com/oi-discus......ngs/jobs

I wish you well!
Yours in success, Dev/
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
What do you do? Are you going to help me send out email blasts to potential customers in order to promote my services?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Ha, I was waiting for the the spam jokes.

The reality is that my members are more vehemently anti-spam than you can imagine. For them, spam interferes with the opt-in email campaigns that all major brands have. So they are very very very anti-spam.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"What do you do? Are you going to help me send out email blasts to potential customers in order to promote my services?"

The short answer is no.

My first company was Emerging Interest which I launched in August of 2000. The business model was that I would bring the trade show to you. You being major brands and advertising agencies. John Sculley, former CEO of Apple and president of Pepsi was the keynote speaker at my launch party in 2000 which took place at TBWA/Chiat Day. It was written up in Ad Age.

In 2003, one of my clients, Ogilvy, was looking for a competitive intelligence tool to track the email campaigns of American Express's competitors. They asked me to find them a vendor. I couldn't, because no one did it.

In a few months, I closed Emerging Interest, and, out of my garage, built Email Data Source, now eDataSource.com, the first ever competitive intelligence tool for email marketers. We are still around today although I left the company as founder and Chairman 3 years ago.

I was 46 when I launched Emerging Interest. I was 49 when I launched eDataSource. late bloomer by far. I"m 59 now.

The rest of my life will be dedicated to freeing people from the idea that working for someone else is the only way to go. It isn't easy being a entrepreneur. If you venture outside of the mainstream, things are never easy. Which is why I think the affordable health care act is so important: people need to be freed from the idea that if they don't work for a large corporation, they will face potential bankruptcy if they get sick. At least now, you know where I'm coming from.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
And I just realized I didn't answer your question.

I am now in the community business. My contacts from the email industry formed the base of Only Influencers. I had been running discussion lists for 10 years. I thought I could bring something new to the idea of community: invitation only, private, curated groups of people with like interests to share information behind closed doors. That was my inspiration.

Now, I try and get others to be inspired.

My members are the cream of email marketers. The top fortune 500 brands. But with the launch of Entreprenerds.org, I hope to show you, the small businessman, how to market yourself, regardless of the advertising and marketing channel.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Congrats on the new launch!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On 2013-10-02 18:34, Al Angello wrote:
What do you do? Are you going to help me send out email blasts to potential customers in order to promote my services?

What do you do? What's in it for me? The question that every potential customer wants answered. What's in it for me?
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
And thank god for that.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-10-02 20:47, Slide wrote:
And thank god for that.

I was just writing that post because that is a common question that every businessman has to answer for the customer. "What's in it for me?" On a more serious note, the website you listed in this post concerning email marketing. What is in it for somebody like me who is a professional magician? How could you help me make more money and book more shows? I am an inexperienced email marketer myself and currently I use AWeber. My guess is that if I book just one show a year from AWeber while paying 19 bucks a month, I have made a return on investment. Could your services provide a return on investment?
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
General,

Your question brings up so many interesting issues. Thank you.

Of course, it goes to the heart of the importance of targeting.

For you, as a professional magician, my communities would hold little value. For Only Influencers, my target is professionals who run large email marketing programs. People who work for companies like Barnes & Noble, Apple, Publishers Clearing House. What I create is an environment where those people feel safe.

But it is not for someone like you. Which is why I am creating Entreprenerds.com, where you ARE the target audience: small entrepreneurs who need a community.

Targeting, in any business, is key. No one has the resources to market to the whole world, unless you are Apple or Microsoft. For us mortals, figuring out who our target market is, is the key.

But, even more interesting, is the permutations you can take off of that target. While Only Email Design and Only Influencers both play in the email marketing space, the audiences are quite different. One is marketing, one is more in the trenches, both have different needs, both are in the same industry.

With any industry, there are sub divisions, different mentalities that can, for a better word, be exploited by the entrepreneur for profit, with simple baby steps away from the original audience. Email Marketers leads to Email Designers which also leads to freelancers which leads to sole proprietors, which leads to Entreprenerds.org.

One leads to the next in baby steps, each step creating an additional income stream...add the streams together, and one has a pretty good life without having to worry about a boss, a resume, or an interview. None of which I have done since 1998.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
One leads to the next in baby steps, each step creating an additional income stream...add the streams together, and one has a pretty good life without having to worry about a boss, a resume, or an interview. None of which I have done since 1998.

Yeah, I have tried that whole working for somebody else gig and you are pretty much just an expendable number and lack independence. Today, bosses don't treat their workers very well and I have spoken to my friends who have been laid off multiple times over these past few years. It seems the only way to have any sort of stability these days is to go to work for yourself. I would just much rather cut that BS out of my life and be my own boss and be independent and have stability. I enjoy being a businessman and it's a lot of fun, challenging, hard work and rewarding. Job market for employees just doesn't offer that these days.

I have often joked that employers these days should cut the false pretenses out and not bother to refer to their employees by their name but instead by an assigned number given to them by their employer. It would be a more honest approach to dealing with their employees. I don't want to be a number, I want to be somebody and it doesn't seem that working for somebody else would accomplish that particular goal, at least not in today's economy.

I chose magic because I love and enjoy performing the art of magic. I have done a lot of marketing on Gigmasters, Gigsalad, thumbtack and some marketing on email. Even booked a gig right off my Facebook business page. So I saw a return by using Facebook. A good business card goes a long ways as well. One tactic I like to use is exchange business cards with people and ask their permission to add them to my email list. That way, I can drop an email now and then and keep me in their minds. Word of mouth and having a good business card, I have found, goes a long ways. I enjoy being a businessman and want to be good at it. I look forward to your website entreprenerds.org when it's up and going.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10597 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Well looks like our local Archie Bunker caused us to lose another perfectly good thread ! Keep singing D... "Those were the days!"
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
I was wondering what happened. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
You boys sure are sumthin' else....
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20040 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-10-04 22:58, saysold1 wrote:
Well looks like our local Archie Bunker caused us to lose another perfectly good thread ! Keep singing D... "Those were the days!"

Seriously you take the thread of a guy announcing a new venture to call names and act like this? Now I bet you are going to blame me when this gets deleted.

Slide friend I am sorry this spilled on you even though I had nothing to do with it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
No worries Danny. All I care about is that the information gets out there. If I can show even a handful of people an alternative to slavery of working for others and instead embrace serving others on their own terms, I can handle any kind of noise.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5843 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2013-10-02 19:19, Slide wrote:
"What do you do? Are you going to help me send out email blasts to potential customers in order to promote my services?"

The short answer is no.

My first company was Emerging Interest which I launched in August of 2000. The business model was that I would bring the trade show to you. You being major brands and advertising agencies. John Sculley, former CEO of Apple and president of Pepsi was the keynote speaker at my launch party in 2000 which took place at TBWA/Chiat Day. It was written up in Ad Age.

In 2003, one of my clients, Ogilvy, was looking for a competitive intelligence tool to track the email campaigns of American Express's competitors. They asked me to find them a vendor. I couldn't, because no one did it.

In a few months, I closed Emerging Interest, and, out of my garage, built Email Data Source, now eDataSource.com, the first ever competitive intelligence tool for email marketers. We are still around today although I left the company as founder and Chairman 3 years ago.

I was 46 when I launched Emerging Interest. I was 49 when I launched eDataSource. late bloomer by far. I"m 59 now.

The rest of my life will be dedicated to freeing people from the idea that working for someone else is the only way to go. It isn't easy being a entrepreneur. If you venture outside of the mainstream, things are never easy. Which is why I think the affordable health care act is so important: people need to be freed from the idea that if they don't work for a large corporation, they will face potential bankruptcy if they get sick. At least now, you know where I'm coming from.
Those are some impressive ad agencies.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Update: during the government shutdown I launched my new website, onlyemaildesign.com, and happy to announce we are nearly 150 members representing at least 4 countries, conversations are flowing, and members are starting to take ownership in the site. There is no money yet but I expect a high conversion rate at $10 a head a month.

I share this for only one reason: to give those interested in creating even some incremental revenue a path, timeline, and costs involved in doing it themselves.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The government might be shut down, but I'm open for business (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL