The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE HAUNTED DOLL - ROGUE AND SYSTEM 6 (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16..21..25..29..33..37..38~39~40 [Next]
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1452 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
Shall we "stick" to the subject at hand.....LoL, Pun's - life's frugal jesting of thoughts........ Smile
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
Quote:
On 2013-11-12 21:57, daffydoug wrote:
I have been cerebratiing on this, and let me offer one more thought: The doll bring a stickman, as it is, would be a PERFECT lead in to ANY effect you may have in your repertoire that involves a stickman. How many do you know? Personally, I know a healthy quantum of effects that involve stickmen.

I have some stickman effects but I don't think I've actually ever used any, I'll have to dig them out and take a look. Then there's these. I picked up a deck a few weeks ago. The stickmen animate when you flip through the cards. Might be something there to use.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14057 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
That looks pretty cool!

I'm thinking about what stickman effects I have. Let me see now. There's Dan Harlan's "Card Toon", Sankey's "Great Detective", Richard Sanders "Stickman Five", and the list goes on.

I used to own an effect called "Stickman Levitation", where a stickman drawn on the back of a playing card levitates off the card, but I no longer have it. But that would be perfect.

Posted: Nov 13, 2013 7:16am
But I do want to say that owning this effect (Haunted Doll) will definitely brighten your day and your life, because as long as you have it, you always have the prospect of performing random acts of magic for strangers everywhere you go.

Definitely my top purchase of the year.

Posted: Nov 13, 2013 7:18am
Stickman Levitation link: http://www.williamsmagic.com/index.php?m......id=14743

Posted: Nov 13, 2013 9:07am
What happened to the thread? It's grown so quiet in here! I can almost hear an echo!

I have a little presentation idea for the haunted doll. Just a bit of fun you can have if you want to play with people's minds.

Here it is. When the doll first begins to rise, mime as if you are pulling an invisible thread. (As in the old effect where you cause the head to pop off a match)

Do that for a couple seconds. Fake them out a time or two as it begins to rise a little bit and then drops back down.

Then when they have it in their mind that "Oh! It's attached to a thread!", take your hand completely away and do the full rise!

So in other words you set them up to conclude the method, then you pull the rug out from under their feet!

Muhuwah ha ha!!!!

Another idea for the music (and I really do like the Michael Jackson intro) is the Twilight Zone theme, if it can be gotten on Mp3.

I think that would fit really good!

OK dudes. I'm outta here. Off to play with dolls.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Had the opportunity to check this out recently. The build quality is amazing. The attention to detail is quite good. I especially like that metal "rivets" or "nail heads" that are on the ends of the extremities to further camouflage the gimmick. Very neat. Unfortunately, the shop I was in hadn't processed the incoming inventory, so they were not yet available for purchase. Ugh. That's what you get when you show up 15 minutes before closing.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14057 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I downloaded the Twilight Zone theme. Very appropros for this effect. Am considering purchasing the X-files theme. Then I checked my I-pod and discovered that I had some music that Copperfield had used which gives the performance an entirely different flavor.

I found a VERY laid back instrumental cover of "Over The Rainbow", (

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU1pxPx0s......a_player ) which I had uploaded to Ytube years ago. This one is slow and adds a very relaxing "drifty" type ambience to the performance.

So the musical choices are manifold! I guess it all depends on exactly what kind of mood you want to create when you do the performance.

It should be lots of fun to experiment and see how your spectators respond to various musical backgrounds.
djefvulen
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of djefvulen
Finally got my doll today! Very nice and good looking. The only negative for me is that it is made for left-handers. I know you can use it in both hands, but it works best in my right hand (which feels wrong, as I'm right-handed). I also need to practice a bit, it was a bit harder than I first thought, but nothing I won't learn in a few days I guess. Smile
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1499 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
If I had this effect I would use the theme from the TV show "House". When I had "Little Man" I used it for that effect and it was perfect.

Ron
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14057 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I've never heard that tune.
cricketer15
View Profile
Loyal user
Sydney, Australia
248 Posts

Profile of cricketer15
Quote:
On 2013-11-13 12:44, djefvulen wrote:
Finally got my doll today! Very nice and good looking. The only negative for me is that it is made for left-handers. I know you can use it in both hands, but it works best in my right hand (which feels wrong, as I'm right-handed). I also need to practice a bit, it was a bit harder than I first thought, but nothing I won't learn in a few days I guess. Smile

Serious? I thought majority of people are right handed and it would make sense to make it for right hand no?
Anything is Possible
djefvulen
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of djefvulen
Quote:
On 2013-11-13 14:49, cricketer15 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-11-13 12:44, djefvulen wrote:

Serious? I thought majority of people are right handed and it would make sense to make it for right hand no?

Well, as I said I'm right handed, but it feels wrong. I want to use my right hand to do magic "gestures", as it feels totally wrong doing it with my left hand. Also, as right handed I have more control in my right hand, which - for me - is required to "attach" the doll to my other hand. Doing it with the left hand feels a bit clumsy for me. I guess that's why I need some practice.

It's a little like hammering a nail. A right handed person holds the hammer in the right hand and the nail in the left hand. Doing the Haunted Doll in the wrong hand feels a little like hammering a nail holding the hammer in the left hand and the nail in the right hand.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3369 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
I do this effect in my left hand all the time. It is just a matter of adjusting your body position when performing. Actually thier is really very little risk of a spectator seeing anything anyway. I have done the effect many times (not as much as Rogue!) and have never had a spectator mention seeing anything. Work on using minimal hand movement and you will be fine. In the past I would usually end with the doll relaxing back down on my hand... have tried Rogue's idea of asking the spectator to take the doll and it gets a great reaction.

Can tell you from experience that children love this effect! Having them wave thier hand over it saying "Wake Up" and then "Go To Sleep' will get you many "Can We do That Again!"

John
Devontemagic
View Profile
New user
New York
94 Posts

Profile of Devontemagic
Hey Guys, So couple of Things...

DaffyDoug: Your the Man...We've passed on some of the great work you've been doing with the Doll with Rogue the creator, And Rogue say's "You Make him proud"...Truth be told you make us all proud. Great to see someone Add there own twist on things. Same Way MerlinMagic and Bart have done aswell. That being said I love the idea of possibly having it as a KeyChain. We are now working to see if that is something we would consider doing a limited release on. A Compact Small Voodoo Doll that hangs on your Keychain, For those who might forget to wear it, they wont forget their keys.

mrmagic0: You said "IF" you had this effect :/ ....I think it's time you joined the dark side hehe, and turn that IF into a "I OWN ONE"

djefvulen: Hey buddy, I'm a little confused as I am also Right Handed and I perform it on my Right hand. The Doll, wasn't made for any specific hand, Just a little concerned that people may think that the Haunted Doll only works on your Left hand. I want to make it CLEAR that the Doll is GOOD to be performed on EITHER Hand (LEFT or RIGHT). Either way the Doll is reversible. Rogue Mentions in the DVD, about performing it on either Hand. But here is a tip someone mentioned in a Private message to me. And that is that you can physically turn the gimmick to face in any direction that you desire. Hope this helps, Glad you're enjoying the Doll Smile

Love, Hugs, Applesauce

- Devonte
djefvulen
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of djefvulen
Quote:
On 2013-11-13 17:17, Devontemagic wrote:
djefvulen: Hey buddy, I'm a little confused as I am also Right Handed and I perform it on my Right hand. The Doll, wasn't made for any specific hand, Just a little concerned that people may think that the Haunted Doll only works on your Left hand. I want to make it CLEAR that the Doll is GOOD to be performed on EITHER Hand (LEFT or RIGHT). Either way the Doll is reversible. Rogue Mentions in the DVD, about performing it on either Hand. But here is a tip someone mentioned in a Private message to me. And that is that you can physically turn the gimmick to face in any direction that you desire. Hope this helps, Glad you're enjoying the Doll Smile

Well, as a right-handie I don't feel as comfortable using the doll in my right hand as in my left. I prefer using it in my left hand. And as I said, I know it's possible. Still I feel the doll is better suited to use in the right hand as it makes it impossible to see anything suspicious that way, as you use your left hand to block the only possible narrow angle where someone COULD spot anything. It's not anything major, but as the doll comes, it is a bit better suited to be used in the right hand, that's all I'm saying. I was thinking of "converting" the doll, but I don't want to brake it Smile. That said, I will be performing it in my left hand, and I won't worry too much about anyone noticing anything suspicious. I agree it's no biggie - it's perfectly usable for both hands, with a slight advantage for using it in your right hand. Wouldn't it be possible to use two "gimmicks" on the doll? Instead of a p** it could use a second h***. Then you could use it equally in whatever hand you prefer?

Also, I think I was the first one to share the idea of hanging the doll around your neck in the thread "Presentation props (boxes/wraps) & ideas to use with System 6 Haunted Doll" on the first page, but you're giving the credit to daffydoug Smile. Anyway, I love the Haunted Doll, and would love a keychain-version Smile.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Not that it really makes any difference, I'm right handed and perform HD in my left hand. Just feels better to me in my left hand. I've performed HD in public now about 3 dozen times, give or take a few and haven't had any negative issues.
Wardy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
192 Posts

Profile of Wardy
Daffydoug, the necklace idea is pure gold!! I too never mention that I perform magic, and even resist the idea of using the word 'magic'. The fact that the other person sets you up for the performance though IS pure magic!
djefvulen, I've had no problem performing this either lefty or righty, but I have to admit that playing guitar for 25 years has lead me to having an arsenal of dexterity at my fingertips, so to speak.
This is the buy of the year for sure, and this thread is brilliant for developing ideas.
I just hope this doesn't become too popular, but here in Oz I feel pretty safe from overkill.
Keep on rockin' the dolls guys!!
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
You know what would be really cool? If someone would answer my question I've posted 3 times about whether a replacement/backup doll will be offered a little cheaper w/o the dvd for those who have already purchased the doll w/dvd.

Quote:
I love the idea of possibly having it as a KeyChain. We are now working to see if that is something we would consider doing a limited release on. A Compact Small Voodoo Doll that hangs on your Keychain, For those who might forget to wear it, they wont forget their keys.

Not a great idea IMO.
#1 It's already about as small as it needs to be, any smaller and it's going to start being difficult for spectators to see and appreciate unless their face is inches from your hand. I would actually like to see a larger version.
#2 While wearing the doll as a necklace would look pretty cool and interesting and be a conversation starter, I think having it on a keychain would reduce it to looking like a cheesy souvenir or toy instead of something that could be real and have strange and unusual powers or properties.
Just my .02, your mileage may vary.

As far as the left/right hand issue mentioned, I do it in both, and sometimes even with the doll rising towards the spectators instead of towards me. I'm right-handed and usually do it in that hand but it doesn't seem awkward or strange either way.
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1769 Posts

Profile of SIX
Quote:
On 2013-11-14 06:59, Dr. Van Van Mojo wrote:
You know what would be really cool? If someone would answer my question I've posted 3 times about whether a replacement/backup doll will be offered a little cheaper w/o the dvd for those who have already purchased the doll w/dvd.

Quote:
I love the idea of possibly having it as a KeyChain. We are now working to see if that is something we would consider doing a limited release on. A Compact Small Voodoo Doll that hangs on your Keychain, For those who might forget to wear it, they wont forget their keys.

Not a great idea IMO.
#1 It's already about as small as it needs to be, any smaller and it's going to start being difficult for spectators to see and appreciate unless their face is inches from your hand. I would actually like to see a larger version.
#2 While wearing the doll as a necklace would look pretty cool and interesting and be a conversation starter, I think having it on a keychain would reduce it to looking like a cheesy souvenir or toy instead of something that could be real and have strange and unusual powers or properties.
Just my .02, your mileage may vary.

As far as the left/right hand issue mentioned, I do it in both, and sometimes even with the doll rising towards the spectators instead of towards me. I'm right-handed and usually do it in that hand but it doesn't seem awkward or strange either way.

Hey! That question was answered pages back by Devonte I believe, we are not at the moment considering offering replacement dolls. I know Murphys Magic does not sell a lot of refills, or is there even a market for it usually. I considered doing a special with System 6 but we also have to be respectful of other dealers. Its a lot of politics and etc and the cost wouldnt even drop much as the disk itself is the the most affordable portion of the production process. Yet, we would have to create some kind of box for it, and would just maintain the same price point. A lot of it is just numbers, very sorry about that!

Just a quick update: I have been delayed with fulfilling orders electronically through our site, but all orders have been shipping on time, I just havent been able to go into the system and add tracking. So anyone who ordered over the last week, most have their orders already and for international orders the update sent was just the tracking and packages have been sent since Tuesday. (Monday was a holiday)

Peace, love and applesauce,

Six
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1452 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
Personally I don't need another dvd when I order my second one,but the packaging is what it is & you deserve the $29.95 for the doll alone ! I know what it's like to hand create & the time to find,get materials,let alone hand make something like this + shoot,edit & make dvd's & sleeves & postage.......$30 bucks - it's a steal of a deal !!!!!!

& the versatility of this little guy,pull it out ya pocket (excuse me while I whip this out-LoL),put it on a necklace,pull it out a box (& wrapping Smile, perform it by itself or intertwine with other effects in a theme (like a Witches,Voodoo,etc) for a longer performance......all in all, this has been a no-let down pre ordered effect released & sent express on time as promised !!!!! Now how many times does that happen.....

We know we can't please everyone & it was going to happen that a couple may not like or review it well on any site/store, but I haven't seen any 4 sale here yet Smile
Libertus
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Libertus
I will be putting in an order tomorrow - hope it does not disappoint. I am a teenager so Il be using this on other pals and people in my school. Should be perfect on the ladies.

I also want to take this chance to give a big thanks and applause to Mark Traversoni. This man is a true gentlemen and I have NEVER been unhappy with their services. I literally email him and I always get a reply back in within minutes. It's crazy (do you even sleep Mark!?).. but Saturn Magic guys are awesome! If you're in the UK and want a good service with fantastic support, I recommend Saturn Magic.
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
This effect makes me think of the old "Hypno Heat" chemical. I remember it being deemed unsafe for a number of reasons many years ago. However, I've seen Criss Angel do it recently, and a know a few years ago someone did it to Howard Stern on the radio/television. I read in another (dead) thread that it had bee re-invented in a safer form. Anyone know more?

It would be great to follow this trick up by taking a cigarette lighter to the hand of your voodoo doll and have it "burn" your spectator (if that's a safe effect yet).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE HAUNTED DOLL - ROGUE AND SYSTEM 6 (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16..21..25..29..33..37..38~39~40 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL