The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE HAUNTED DOLL - ROGUE AND SYSTEM 6 (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21..25..28..31..34..37..38~39~40 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Had a bad experience with it today. I was in a restaurant, and there was a friend in there who is an engineer. He saw the doll on my necklace, and asked me about it. Someone  who had seen me do the effect before said to show him what the doll does. True to form, I put on my music and caused it to stand up. He was sitting three or four feet from me. I want to tell you, as the doll stood up, every eye in the restaurant was on me. I'm telling you, the whole room was watching! 

Well, I finished, and all of a sudden the engineer guy pipes up and says "It's a pretty good trick, but....and he went on to explain how it works. "

Folks, I want to tell you, I just about died. I wanted to crawl under the table, that's how humiliating it was. It was utter and public humiliation.

Whatever you do, PLEASE don't ever show the effect to someone with an engineers mind. You are guaranteed to get busted. Hopefully, it won't be in public for you, as it was for me.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7041 Posts

Profile of bowers
That does hurt when that happen's.But the engineer should
of had more respect for you and not blurted it out to everyone.
Todd
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-11-18 23:34, daffydoug wrote:
Had a bad experience with it today. I was in a restaurant, and there was a friend in there who is an engineer. He saw the doll on my necklace, and asked me about it. Someone  who had seen me do the effect before said to show him what the doll does. True to form, I put on my music and caused it to stand up. He was sitting three or four feet from me. I want to tell you, as the doll stood up, every eye in the restaurant was on me. I'm telling you, the whole room was watching! 

Well, I finished, and all of a sudden the engineer guy pipes up and says "It's a pretty good trick, but...then he went on to explain how it's done"

Folks, I want to tell you, I just about died. I wanted to crawl under the table, that's how humiliating it was. It was utter and public humiliation.

Whatever you do, PLEASE don't ever show the effect to someone with an engineers mind. You are guaranteed to get busted. Hopefully, it won't be in public for you, as it was for me.

Don't sweat it daff. David Williamson got busted on national TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og6gVihE5uA

Engineers and Scientists can be blown away, but it depends what it is and by whom. As friends, they know we don't have "the gift";-)

daff, you're doing what 99% of hobbyists don;t do: perform magic for people. Well done!
neemdog
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of neemdog
Quote:
On 2013-11-18 22:58, Zombie Magic wrote:
I let them look at it before I perform it. 2 gals have declined ( It's pretty spooky looking ).

Dealers came up with "fully examinable" years ago so that hobbyists wouldn't be afraid to perform something ( and would buy it ). It's because as kids they got Svengali's and of course their friends grabbed for their cards, striking fear in their hearts about using gaffs/props.

I've never thought of it that way, but it's so true--that's a great point about the friends grabbing stuff--I remember that used to happen to me all the time in middle school, and that's when I started learning sleight of hand.
indomagic
View Profile
Special user
975 Posts

Profile of indomagic
If there is no locking system which can hide the gimmick, then it might have chance someone grab the doll can get hurt. Anyone has this experience before ?
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:

Well, I finished, and all of a sudden the engineer guy pipes up and says "It's a pretty good trick, but he's got a couple pins in it sticking in his hands, and when he flexes his hand, it causes it to stand up."

This guy, although an engineer, is an idiot... I am an engineer too but I would NEVER, EVER do something like that to humiliate a magician. It happened to me, once, when I was doing a red / black separation with cards, all in between the specs hands, the guy explained how it worked for everybody, but NOBODY believed him, and said "shut up, not true, he shuffled the cards before" Smile
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I had a talk with him later. I let him know exactly how I felt about the incident. He explained to me: "I'm an engineer. I EASILY FIGURE THINGS OUT that other people can't. That's what I do. That's how my mind works." 

I told him yeah, but does that mean you got to blurt it out in public and humiliate me? 

I told him I wanted to crawl under the table. 

He apologized, and explained "I thought that was what you were SUPPOSED to do with magic tricks. I watched Criss Amgel on TV, and when he does tricks, people around him try to figure them out, so I thought that was the way you are supposed to do it." 

I'm still chagrined that he actual engineered the way the doll works from several feet away. He was far enough that he couldn't see the connection, but his brain actually "engineered" the method just from viewing! Guys like this are your worst nightmare. 

I've seen this guy before. Threw my toughest, most deceptive routines at him, the best, cutting edge effects in modern close up magic, and each time, he immediately came up with the correct solution! So when they asked me to perform HD in the restaurant, these previous times flashed through my brain, but these people had me on the spot, so I proceeded, albeit cautiously, thinking "Surely HD will be the exception. Surely he WON'T figure this out, because NO mortal figures it out. I'll fry his brain!" 

Boy was I ever wrong! Famous last words! 

This guy is a magician's worst nightmare.
Devontemagic
View Profile
New user
New York
94 Posts

Profile of Devontemagic
No Need for a locking gimmick indomagic, like people have said, they have opened the gimmick without watching the DVD and have a hard time finding it let alone getting hurt. I know it may seem as if you may get hurt being that you don't see the gimmick but in this case it's the exact opposite. The gimmick is well hidden and small enough that you won't hurt yourself or any spectators handling the doll Smile
Quote:
On 2013-11-18 22:42, indomagic wrote:
I am just wondering if the gimmick has locking feature so the spectator may fully examined it ???
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Oh, and about the David Williamson clip. Here is the follow up, twenty years later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj81_KaPK......a_player
Devontemagic
View Profile
New user
New York
94 Posts

Profile of Devontemagic
I PM'd this to DaffyDoug about his heckler, thought it'd be good to share with everyone

My prayers go out to you from magician to magician. I personally would have used it to be part of my show. Being that he had already caught you and being that this is honestly one in a hundred chances. I would have spinned off into a different patter. Saying something like "your exactly right mr engineer, this effect known for hundreds of years as voodoo was in fact a simple old trick done to the people of Haiti, (I would have then secretly set up ashes in the hand) and then finished of by saying something like I understand the voodoo doll "trick" but I never understood the ashes (point to his hand). Thus taking the attention away from the voodoo doll. I don't know I guess that's my style and it's to always go with the flow. It's something that happened to David Blaine once while performing a book test, someone knew how it worked and said it out loud, as a professional, he continued by using the person that made the comment and made it seem as part of his presentation. Of course at the End he did another trick following the book testy that fooled the hec out of them.
cricketer15
View Profile
Loyal user
Sydney, Australia
248 Posts

Profile of cricketer15
Quote:

Well, I finished, and all of a sudden the engineer guy pipes up and says "It's a pretty good trick, but...then he went on to explain how the trick is done.Folks, I want to tell you, I just about died. I wanted to crawl under the table, that's how humiliating it was. It was utter and public humiliation.

wow, that really blows when someone call you out in public. one of my spectators in a large group caught me doing a double lift once in a card trick and at the end of the trick he just whisper that he knew what I did but didn't want to spoil it because he could see everyone was getting excited, funnily enough he was an engineering student at my university. did another trick that he couldn't explain. so far havent been caught with the haunted doll yet.
Anything is Possible
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
What I keep asking myself is "What IS IT about this guy's brain that he sees through practically everything I do?" It's almost maddening!

He sees magic as a mental challenge, which his engineer's brain easily solves.

The question for me is HOW? I'm banging my head against the wall trying to figure out how he is the exception to the rule that "everyone can be fooled."

Maybe it's a matter of my personal magician's pride, but now he has become MY PERSONAL challenge I want to do just ONE THING to make his jaw drop to the floor.

He even figured out my "Juxtaposition" effect!!

How's THAT for a brain?

And in case you are wondering, I performed the effect for him very well, and not in a shoddy manner. The guy is JUST that frickin' perceptive.

So the situation for me has reversed. Instead of it being him thinking "How did he do that??" It is now my mind thinking "What on earth can I do to smoke his mind? How can I floor him and fool the crap out of him and leave him with NO earthly explanation?"

The tables have turned on me, and it has become imperative on me to turn them back again. My dignity is at stake; my personal and public reputation as a deceiver of men.

I don't mean to sound overly dramatic, but I won't rest until
I silence this guy!

Posted: Nov 19, 2013 9:26am
It's like I mentioned to someone else: This guy is like playing chess against Bobby Fischer or Gary Kasparov. It's like he is several moves ahead of you. He seems to have a thousand eyes and he sees what slips right past others. He doesn't seem to have any BLIND SPOTS.

He has become my "Angry Bob" as in Jamie D. Grant's posts.
Libertus
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Libertus
Got mine. Review shortly!
Axman
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of Axman
Quote:
On 2013-11-19 09:26, daffydoug wrote:
It's like I mentioned to someone else: This guy is like playing chess against Bobby Fischer or Gary Kasparov. It's like he is several moves ahead of you. He seems to have a thousand eyes and he sees what slips right past others. He doesn't seem to have any BLIND SPOTS.

Gilbreath him
Sals memory opener should do it
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1339 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:

I think you are just asking for trouble for yourself. How many times does he have to bust you before you give up?

You can entertain thousands but choose to focus on the one person that busts you every time? Why? Let it go.
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1774 Posts

Profile of SIX
"Fool Me Once" all the way! HAHA

Though Barts185 makes a great point, why bother lol
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2468 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:

Magic Switchboard is one. Did it for 3 days at an Electrical Engineer convention. Had over 3,000 engineers see it. None got it. Linking Ring routine without the key. There are really many out there that can fool the best. Fooling someone is not difficult, entertain and be prepared.

Best,
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1339 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On 2013-11-17 16:10, barts185 wrote:

Since you mentioned it, how do you keep the gimmick sharp?

Regarding the crazy glue, does he just put a dab on the bottom of the gimmick, then use a sharpie to color it in? Does he (or if anyone else does, feel free to chime in) put a dab of glue on the bottom before burning / charring it?

Maybe this got missed, and likely will take a lot longer to get dull for those of us who don't do it many times a day, but eventually the gimmick will get dull, so would be interested in knowing how he sharpens it.
djefvulen
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of djefvulen
Quote:
On 2013-11-19 13:45, barts185 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-11-17 16:10, barts185 wrote:

Since you mentioned it, how do you keep the gimmick sharp?

Regarding the crazy glue, does he just put a dab on the bottom of the gimmick, then use a sharpie to color it in? Does he (or if anyone else does, feel free to chime in) put a dab of glue on the bottom before burning / charring it?

Maybe this got missed, and likely will take a lot longer to get dull for those of us who don't do it many times a day, but eventually the gimmick will get dull, so would be interested in knowing how he sharpens it.

I think it will stay sharp a very long time. If not you can use a file.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I've had this a week or so now, and am still finding the best routine that suits me.
I really like it and can see me using it quite a lot......
However........
I keep reading things like "The gimmick is very hard to find"
"I could hardly find the gimmick"

Let me tell you my eyes are crap. And I think it's quite easy to spot.

But that's not to say I don't like it.
Just that, for me, it's as undiscoverable as it is obviously is for others

steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE HAUNTED DOLL - ROGUE AND SYSTEM 6 (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21..25..28..31..34..37..38~39~40 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL