The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE HAUNTED DOLL - ROGUE AND SYSTEM 6 (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..18~19~20~21~22..26..29..32..35..38~39~40 [Next]
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Only if you know where to look at, the gimmick is indeed really easy to find.
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
djefvulen
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of djefvulen
It's easy to find when you know what you're looking for, but most people just see a wooden doll. I think they're looking for threads and some kind of more advanced gimmick. Actually, I've seen people stare right at the gimmick without seeing it. I can't understand how they don't see it, but they don't... Smile
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Maybe it's because I know it's there.

I'll still keep performing it.

Steve
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7038 Posts

Profile of bowers
If your not use to this type of principle.
You would look at the gimmick and not give
a second thought.Plus the natural look of the doll.
the gimmick just looks like part of it's ruggedness.
Todd
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
The gimmick is masked like those pictures where you see the Count Of Monte Cristo, but they see only a wooden boat.

I'm not a proponent of performing magic for friends and family. They see you in your bathrobe, blowing your nose. Difficult for them to have a suspension of disbelief. Do it if it makes you happy, just don't expect too much from it.
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Daffy, you were recently referred to as a hobbyist, but you recently mentioned "putting your music on" to perform this effect. Can you explain that? Do you have a speaker in your pocket or something?

Also, may I politely ask that we redact the actual words of the engineer so that we preserve the secrets of the effect?
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
56,438 registered Café members just went and looked up "redact".

Excellent advice Robvs!
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1065 Posts

Profile of rasp
I can understand posting about the bad experience................ I cannot understand the need to expose the secret in the post!!
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2468 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On 2013-11-19 19:36, rasp wrote:
I can understand posting about the bad experience................ I cannot understand the need to expose the secret in the post!!

Agree
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1498 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
This trick is so old I don't think anything is exposed that is not already known.
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Quote:
On 2013-11-19 20:11, magicbyswh wrote:
This trick is so old I don't think anything is exposed that is not already known.

HA! Then I guess we shouldn't have been surprised at the engineer's comments.
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1065 Posts

Profile of rasp
So if a method is old enough then it is ok to divulge?................. If that is the case, what time frame are we talking. I only ask, so that we are all clear and dancing to the same tune.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7038 Posts

Profile of bowers
As the saying goes.
New magic is just old magic re-worked.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
First about my music, about which there was a question. The explanation is that I have music readily available on my I-phone. 

As far as the word redact, I understand the word perfectly. 

I want to state that any exposure was far from intentional. I hadn't really realized what I had done till it was too late. 

If I could redact the words, I certainly would. 

However, the edit feature of the post had expired. 
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-11-19 23:13, daffydoug wrote:

As far as the word redact, I understand the word perfectly.  

OK, only 56,437 registered Café members went and looked up "redact".

daff, you get MAJOR credit for getting Rouge's Haunted Doll on a cord to be worn around the neck. That was a major brainstorm!

This little guy is an A+++ release!

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I can't take credit for the idea because I don't think it was my idea. I think I read it on the thread, but my memory is nebulous on it.

Posted: Nov 19, 2013 11:53pm
And my eyes are sleepy so I don't have the energy to re-read the thread from the beginning to determine the actual provenance of the idea.

It may have very well have been me, but I really don't remember.
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
Doug, I wouldn't bother showing the engineer guy anything anymore. And if he's around when you're performing for others I would politely ask him to keep his comments to himself so the others can enjoy the entertainment. It's normal for people to wonder how you do things but most will just watch and enjoy what they've seen without trying to be Mr. ANALytical. Those folks that are just focused on watching to try and figure it out are really annoying. I've only run into 2 or 3 but I can't stand 'em and after a few times I just quit showing them anything and if they ask why I explain that it's no fun for me or them if they are only trying to "catch" me instead of enjoying the mystery and having a good time.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I appreciate the friendly advice.

I reported my own post, btw, in hopes that it can be corrected.

It wasn't intentional. Just a brain fart on my part.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4680 Posts

Profile of videoman
Actually, the idea of using HD as a necklace is mentioned on the included DVD by Rogue.
I believe Rogue does say that he heard that idea from other HD users over the years.

Daff, do you ever feel a bit strange turning up the music during what begins as an impromptu routine?
By impromptu I mean the fact that the spec initiates the effect by commenting on your necklace.
You have a lot of courage to play accompanying music on your phone during a performance in a crowded restaurant.
axcreations1
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of axcreations1
I posted this in the Spooky forum about containers as well. Feel free to delete one of them if need be...

This is a work in progress, but I figured I'd show the steps I'm taking working on a container to hold my HD (even though I broke mine...don't ask, it was completely my fault, and I will be ordering another one by weeks end).

Today I visited the local Hobby Lobby - awesome store! The place is FILLED with items that can be used as props for magic. The first thing I found was a small "naked" wooden box that was the perfect size to hold the HD. The only "problem" is that it didn't have any clasp to close the box (and surprisingly the lady that was helping didn't know where to find one in the store to add one on - which I'd be willing to bet that they have somewhere, as they have almost anything you can imagine craft related...). Anyway, while I was thinking of ways to "dirty it up" (dirt, shoe polish, etc.) I came across this awesome little box that already looked old, is the perfect size, had a magnet clasp, and was already magic related (see 1st pic). It looks really cool & old, and it only cost 3.49 (originally it was 6.99 but they were having a 50% off sale). It's the perfect size to fit a deck of cards, so I'm guessing magicians might want to use it as is for reasons other then what I did (as it looks pretty cool as-is & they had other cards besides the King too, but I decided to ruin it for the sake of the HD...)

I also found a set of burlap sacks at Hobby Lobby in a pack of 3 different sizes for 4.99, and one of them was a nice fit for the HD (I imagine I can use the two extra to use for something else). I'm thinking I could probably even gotten them cheaper if I looked for a coupon like the sales lady suggested...

Anyway, I took a lighter & Sharpie marker to the burlap bag, and a Sharpie to the box (the lighter made the material of the box smell terrible when I tried burning it, so I went the marker only route on it - the lighter worked perfectly on the bags though). I think things ended up pretty cool! That said, I plan to get the box "dirty" tomorrow, and rub some dirt into it...maybe pour some coffee on it, and try a few other things to stain it some different colors...I know it can look a lot better.

All said, for less then 10 bucks though I think I came up with something pretty cool. I'll let you know what people think once I perform the HD in front of spectators. Smile

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE HAUNTED DOLL - ROGUE AND SYSTEM 6 (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..18~19~20~21~22..26..29..32..35..38~39~40 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL