We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » My first wish book - an Owens' catalogue! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
I've recently being going over, and getting prices from Owen Magic, I thought for fun I would post some of the prices for their first cataloque(#7)I received back in 1968. It was printed in 1964 and had the prices for all the items, including the illusions in it. I am only posting a few of the favourites (using their popular names).

Time to drool! LOL

Thin Model Sawing $985.00
Lester Lake Guillotine $385.00
Girl Without a Middle $535.00
Asrah $570.00
Substitution Trunk $310.00
Sword Box $545.00
Crystal Casket $670.00
Candy Cane Dolls House $430.00
Buzz Saw $925.00

Now you have to remember that back in '69 I was making $60.00 PER 40 HOUR WEEK (before taxes), so these illusions, with these prices, were only something a boy good wish for, and dream of back then.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22932 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have Catalog #7 also, with a price list dated 1971. So it was after my tour in the Army, as I got out in 1969. I tried to order a number of smaller tricks, but always got my check back with a card that said, "Item ordered not in stock". It was not until 1981, when I went out to Los Angeles, and visited the store and manufacturing area, then I met and got a tour of the place by Les Smith. I was able to purchase an Arial Fishing Pole, Copper Rice Bowls, Nikko Hank Ball, Bewitched Dancing Broom, and some gimmicks made. Could not get a number of other things as they could not find items in the stores in the area to make the tricks from. So no Needle thru Girl or Appearing Bowl Production.

In 1969 I was grossing a whopping $125 a week working at a finance company.

I have tried recently to order some items from them and everything I try to order, they tell me the item is not scheduled to be made. I don't know how they can list an item, and place a price on it, and not even have one made, but they do.

So I have given up on Owen's as being in the magic business.
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Quote:
On 2013-10-04 13:30, Bill Hegbli wrote:
I have tried recently to order some items from them and everything I try to order, they tell me the item is not scheduled to be made. I don't know how they can list an item, and place a price on it, and not even have one made, but they do.

So I have given up on Owen's as being in the magic business.

LOL! Wow, that really IS incredible! You just buying "low end" stuff from them? I can't imagine them not bending over backward for multi-thousand dollar orders. Smile But regardless - if you don't want to stock low-end stuff, quit offering it for sale. Haha.

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

LOL There are no low end items at Owens! Both their quality and price, on even the smallest of items, do not say "low end".

But I do agree if you do not want to produce an item, drop it, and make it so on your website etc. (Wolf was good at this.)

B
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22932 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Matt, you are right, I am not an illusionist, but I like quality stage and parlour magic tricks to present. I would not call them low end, as their prices for their magic is very expensive. Example: I have their Break-a-Way Fan, and use it in every show. It now is listed at $200. I would not call that low end, but is the best stainless steel Break-a-Way Fan ever made. Most Fan sell for less then $15.
John Bundy
View Profile
Regular user
USA
193 Posts

Profile of John Bundy
Where is Doc Brown's Delorean when you need it?
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1340 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
LOL Great reference! I wish I would have thought of it first!

Mark
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1010 Posts

Profile of John Martin
It's unfortunate that Owen's doesn't have a "pocket" size catalogue! LOL

John
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Sorry - by "low end" I meant the low end of THEIR items. That doesn't mean the low end items are bad quality or anything. Haha. So obviously I'd say $200 is VERY low end for Owens Magic.

So yeah...by purchasing at the "low end" it seems they aren't as interested in continuing to stock those items. Too bad. I've not purchased anything from Owens but was considering a set of their rings for a while. They just don't have anything I want to use at the moment. And if anything...they really need to update their promo photos for their props. HAHA!

Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Matt,

As a note, several sizes of their rings are in stock as this is a popular item for them. Email them and they will get back with a reply (give them a day or two)and current pricing.

Oh, and regarding their photos, perhaps they don't feel the need to update them.

Blair
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Quote:
On 2013-10-08 17:43, Blair Marshall wrote:

Matt,

As a note, several sizes of their rings are in stock as this is a popular item for them. Email them and they will get back with a reply (give them a day or two)and current pricing.

Oh, and regarding their photos, perhaps they don't feel the need to update them.

Blair

Thanks Blair - I got pricing from them (and again at Magic Live) but I just never had enough need to upgrade from what I had. I'm now using a lightweight set and doing a Flying Rings routine.

On their pics - they probably figure their market is only to established illusionists anyway so keeping up with the times may not be as necessary? Dunno - but geez - Those photos have to be from the 90s or earlier. lol

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » My first wish book - an Owens' catalogue! (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL