The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Fast and Loose - Stuart Judah? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
I'm reading "Magical Mathematics" by Persi Diaconis. He has a section on Fast and Loose though he doesn't call it that. After describing how to throw the chain so that one side is fast, and neither side is fast (as far as I can tell these are the standard throws), he then describes a move where both sides are fast. He attributes this to Stewart Judah. It involves crossing the hands. Diaconis says "as far as we know, this manouver has not been previously described".

I know the "both sides fast" throw on the SFS DVD but this one looks different - has anyone else come across it?
Jolyon Jenkins
thefliss
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of thefliss
I don't know the reference, but there is an "in the hands"/off table version of F&L that describes a Fast/Fast throw "All-in-Air Endless Loop" by Robert L. Brooks in Harry Lorayne's Apocalypse (6):817-20. Maybe that can be of help? I'm guessing that crossing the hands involves adding a twist (and a half?) maybe? Problem is that, unless I'm doing it wrong, the Fast/Fast described therein just looks different (bulkier) at the center cross than in the Fast/Loose, Loose/Fast, Loose/Loose throws. I'm guessing this is because the architecture is different - the strands aren't passing diagonally across each other in the center, but rather using each other to change direction in the center. It's something I was just going to go through this thread to research, but stopped at the first post (yours) instead, so I apologize if this is explained/resolved better somewhere else.
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Thanks - yes the one described by Diaconis looks different to me, too. It actually is smaller because it takes up more chain, as I read it.

But I don't really like the other "both fast" method because one side ends up as a hitch rather than a loop - unless I am misunderstanding it.
Jolyon Jenkins
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Reference:
The Art Of Close Up Magic, volume 1, by Lewis Ganson - Chapter 4 - It's A Gamble, "The Endless Chain".
A book published by The Supreme Magic Company, UK. Reprinted in 1972.

This covers an interesting concept - similar to the one I remember being used by Paul Daniels on UK Tv.

Featuring a "Triple Circle Routine" by Fred Lowe. Which was apparently inspired by an idea by Jack Salvin in 1952.

Very intriguing.

One, two, or three loops are formed - like a flower petal.
All of which can be either fast or loose at the performers discretion.
Paul Daniels performance was my inspiration to search for this routine.

The price of the book is a bargain for this routine alone.

A true addition to the fast and loose arsenal.
A must have ...
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of fireperformer911
Is the Paul Daniels routine on DVD or YouTube to see?
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Fireperformer911 ...
not that I can find.

The price of the book by Lewis Ganson - listed above - is worth the effect alone.
Consider the price of a magic DVD, which might containing only a single effect.

This book contains this, plus other routines too.
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
I am not familiar with the Ganson reference, but there is a similar move in the Marc DeSouza DVD on F&L "Chain Gang".
swayne100
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of swayne100
In which chapter in "magical mathematics" is the fast and loose description?
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2015, swayne100 wrote:
In which chapter in "magical mathematics" is the fast and loose description?

There are 48 separate photographs spread over 4 or 5 pages of a man throwing a chain.

Can't you find them?
swayne100
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of swayne100
I found it. I have it on my kindle, so it's not so easy to look for. And a search for Fast and Loose turned up nothing.
agilulfe
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of agilulfe
School of scoundrell method for the various options (fast - fast, fast - loose, loose - loose) is really great
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Fast and Loose - Stuart Judah? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL