The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Barry Mitchell's Magic Box (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
I'm going to start reviewing magic tricks. Run.
Some background: I've been a dabbler for 15+ years and a pro for 2. Turning pro has, suprisingly, made me very, very frugal about how much money I'm willing to spend on an effect. I darn well better get a lot of return on my investment, in the form of audience response and money in my hat at the end of the show. To that end, I am a CHEAPJACK MAGICIAN. And here's what I think about something I just spent hard-earned scratch on... Barry Mitchell's Magic Box

I've been looking at this one for months now, and finally caved in and picked it up since I had to get a new match-to-rose anyway. Yeah, there's some rationalization there... So here's the review.

PRODUCT: The Magic Box by Barry Mitchell

EFFECT: A portable "light/heavy" box, made of plexiglass with a plexiglass tray. The box is filled with "jewels" and, when covered with a black velvet drape, cannot be lifted from the tray.

APPEARANCE: Darn nice, actually. Plexiglass can easily be described as 'crystal' or 'glass' for stage work, and the apparatus is well-made and pretty durable. Standard disclaimers apply as far as keeping the plexi clean and free of scratches, of course.

TECHNIQUE: The 'secret' is simple, fiendish and darn near fool-proof once you try it out a few times. The real key to this trick (as with any) is in the presentation, which Barry has thought through (see below). Pretty darn angle-proof, but the drape is *integral* to the effect.

ROUTINE: The trick comes with a story-routine by Barry about the Selfish Sultan and the Penniless Peasant. It's a good story, and lets you get four people up on stage (he's scripted it as one adult and three kids, but you can easily adapt), with the Peasant being the hero. Very good for audience participation. The story has a moral which is clearly illustrated by the effect.

THE WIFE TEST: Every time I try out a new trick or routine, my best beloved winds up bearing the brunt of my rehearsal time. This time around, I literally showed her the effect 'right out of the box' and got a really positive reaction - delighted laughter. This is a "good" thing, in my book. You can't make her laugh easy, so this trick passes the Wife Test.

DID I FEEL GYPPED? You know the feeling... you spend beaucoup bucks on an effect, wait impatiently for it to arrive, and when you do (or when you get it out of the magic shop), you crack open the box and immediately feel like someone just put a big ol' SUCKER sign on your forehead. Well, I did *not* feel gypped on this one. The apparatus is well made, the instructions, while printed on one double-sided sheet, are concise and clear, and the routine is darn nifty and easily adaptable. I feel like I got my money's worth.

Barry's marketing this as a Kid's Magic effect, but I can come up with three or four ways to do this in kid, family, and even grown-up shows (you can change out the contents of the chest to make it even more adaptable). A good effect that looks, well, classy without having the "Obvious Magic Prop" look to it.

RECOMMENDED.

BEST PRICE FOUND SO FAR: $69.00 at http://www.hocus-pocus.com

Your friend,
the CheapJack Magician
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
Your review came very timely for me..
I was on the edge about buying this & you 'Pushed' me over!Yes..I just bought it.
Txs!
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
The all important wife test....that can make or break your confidence in an effect. Know that test well.

Good review. Those are good criteria to review on.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
392 Posts

Profile of oagwood
Great review, I have been thinking about getting this as well, and your insight has been very helpful.

oliver
mbkorn
View Profile
New user
Jupiter, FL
66 Posts

Profile of mbkorn
I recently purchased Barry's Magic Box and will be performing it for the first time next Monday night. After a dress rehersal for family, the reaction is tremendous. It's all in the presentation. The "story" takes center stage. Easy to perform and a fooler at the same time. Highly recommended. You will not be disappointed.
dAvId tOnG
View Profile
Regular user
sInGaPoRe
103 Posts

Profile of dAvId tOnG
Thank you very much. This is indeed a timely and good review!!!
mbkorn
View Profile
New user
Jupiter, FL
66 Posts

Profile of mbkorn
I spoke to Barry yesterday to clarify a few details in the presentation concerning the "velvet" cover over the box and the lock/key. Neither item was described in the instructions.
If you would like details, PM me. I am sure Barry would not mind me sharing.

Michael
mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
Thanks. This is the first trick I've really been moved to review (someone else already did the Iron Garotte - see down the topic list). More to come as I shell out my hard-earned scratch!
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
Mike Giusti
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Mike Giusti
I was present when Barry performed this for everyone at Hocus Pocus and at the end, we all had goose flesh. The routine is just beautifully scripted and thought out so well. Imagine having some low music playing in the background while performing this... Just a thought.

Thanks for the review, mplegare.
mbkorn
View Profile
New user
Jupiter, FL
66 Posts

Profile of mbkorn
Performed the Magic Box last night for the first time.
What a wonderful response....I really believe the parents enjoyed the story as much--if not more--than the kids. And they're the ones who sign the check, right?

Great story, great magic....I had a couple of boys come up after the show questioning if it used magnets or how it worked.

You will not be disappointed with the audience reaction.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
I remember Supreme selling "The Light and Heavy Glass Plus" years back, with a clear plastic tumbler. I would guess this is the same method, but taking it back to a box makes for better patter presentations and it sounds like Barry has a winner here. Presentation is everything (well, almost) Smileand the effect worked for Robert Houdin.

Paul.
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
Who holds the tray?
Does the tray have to be put down each time for reset? That is, do you need two hands to reset?
Is there any chance they will assume you are holding the box to the tray while covered?

I read on one description they are only to use their pinky to lift the chest. I would guess if you are trying to have the look of a light/heavy chest that the tray should not move when the box is being lifted .
Does it look more like the box is being held to tray or if the restriction to lifting only of the pinky give the magician more ability to keep the tray from looking as if it is connected?

Oh is the tray CLEAN? This is, can the try be shown close up as ungimmicked?
Thanks
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
Mghia,
To answer some of your questions:
##Who holds the tray?
The Magician
##Does the tray have to be put down each time for reset?
NO
## Oh is the tray CLEAN? That is, can the tray be shown close up as ungimmicked?
YES
I may be wrong but from the rest of your questions
it sounds to me like you are fishing for how this is performed..
I just rec'd it Friday & performed it to two
well seasoned magicians & fooled them.
SUPER EFFECT..
Get it & put all your questions to rest..
Charlie
Aperazor
View Profile
Loyal user
Akron,Ohio
244 Posts

Profile of Aperazor
Thanks for a great review, very nicely done...Ever think of going into sales? LOL
Ohhh well one more item to add to my want list.
Thanks again
Nick Zender
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
Charlie,
Thank you for answering my questions.
I am really disappointed in your last comment. How is what I asked FISHING? First off, I am not a new kid to magic nor an old cheap convention stooge that just looks for magic answers. (And never intended to buy) I am a manufacturer of magic as well as a FULL TIME performer. I also shoot photos and review magic for a magic web site. I see allot of misleading ads and crap beyond belief. I have sold at conventions and have met all too many secret hounds. I also know to well about secret suckers.

I am SICK and tired of all the self- appointed-cyber -cops on this forum who try to stifle LEGITEMATE questions on SITE UNSEEN ITEMS.
I have a belief that you can ask any deal or creator just about all the questions you need to know if an effect is right for you, without revealing the secret.

Where in my post did I ask for the secret? In fact, I know some of the methods this effect could be accomplished by and do not need duplicates.
I also have performance conditions that the asked questions help determine how PRACTICAL the effect is.

I was looking for answers that I would have if I saw the effect LIVE! Since I am not in the position to see this live, my questions are mandatory.
There is another chest marketed, I asked my questions on the practical use on certain surfaces. I determined it was not going to work in 95% of shows I do and thus not worth the $400. I do not know the EXACT SECRET nor did I need to know it to know if the effect would work for me.

This is a forum group and if I am not asking for the secret, but how it looks when someone views this, than I will ask questions. If this bothers you, I am sorry to suggest you find a non-forum group.
Telling me to buy it to answer my questions is just plain rude Charlie.

Oh and buy the way Charlie, fooling magicians does not impress me. They are the easiest to fool sometimes since they look for the miracle gimmicks that do not exist, looking for crazy sleights or come up with overboard methods that would be a waste of time.
LOL. If you do not agree than just think of how many magicians are fooled at magic conventions and then when they do fork over their $ you hear " I was so fooled by $3 worth of materials and I paid HOW MUCH?" Or when you hear the groans when they were stumped buy a new face on a trick they tossed in their sock draw years ago.

The other reason for my post was to clarify if this is more entertainment than magic.
Listen guys, I have too many good fillers. That is, I am a verbal performer and have plenty of FEEL GOOD effects. I need more effects that can stand alone, apart of the good story. OOOH AAAHH MAGIC. The acid test is if the effect is strong as magic as it is or is it weak and needs the story. Or should I say, I have plenty of ENTERTAINMENT in the show in reference to effects and stories but they are not always the strongest MAGIC.

I am at a loss not seeing how this looks when someone is PERFORMING IT. Sorry Charlie Smile I am not fishing for the secret but I guess I am searching for how the effect looks. That is, how clean the moves are (I should not see what looks like MOVES on a good effect), how the over all effect looks (does the magician struggle to hold the tray so it looks like they are not able to lift it rather than the box is stuck to the tray), and finally what the reaction is.

This has nothing to do with the secret. I also like to see the effect performed so I can see if there is any handling fiddle fattle before and after the effect to insure the effect matches the ad copy.
Sadly and understandably in some cases, certain details are left out of copy that a live demo would show.
And seeing (or not seeing) that Hocus Pocus did not put up a video version as they do with most of their new effects, makes one wonder if it is what it is or does not pass the barebones test in short video clip.

I hope I am wrong. It all sounds so good and the review praises it. But I am always cautious. Usually there are two types of reviews. There are ones that hate an effect and the ones that are in love with it.
Hardly do you find someone who gives you both sides. AND there are some on this forum who have a direct or indirect stake in how their review might affect sales of an item and might tell both pros AND cons. No trick is perfect yet most leave out the cons when they like an item. (Important note: I am not claiming this reviewer has a stake directly or indirectly in this effect. I am speaking about reviews in general terms for items from magic to electronics to books)
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
Mghia,
I am very sorry to have offended you..
Your points are well taken.
I meant no disrespect.Perhaps I did read too much into
your questions.I apologize.
Text is very cold..I will be more careful what I type.
Charlie
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
Ok Charlie,
Sorry I had to get the brunt of the vent.
I just have seen that sort of comment too many times when honest questions are asked. In a way you are right to try to prevent secrets from getting out.

Cheers
MG
Cliff G
View Profile
Loyal user
Madrid - Spain
297 Posts

Profile of Cliff G
Great review mplegare - really useful! I know the feeling when you open the box and your get the "this wasn't quite what I expected" sensation. As a result of your review and everyones comments I have just placed this in my wish list!!

Just wondering if anyone has tried this one with an adult audience yet?

Cliff
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
To see the effect and routine by Barry Mitchell himself, watch the DVD "The Magic of Thinking Creatively". He gives also a more complex method of performing this effect, but you'll stick with this beautiful marketed version. I ordered both the DVD set and Magic Box from Hocus-Pocus.
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
Now that's what I'm talkin' about! A good heated cage match discussion to liven up this forum.

From the outside view both of you (mghia nd chalie) have very valid points and had a nice "kiss and make up".

I think issues that don't get answered here should go to the "secret sessions" banquet area or to a PM.
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Barry Mitchell's Magic Box (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL