The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Too old to learn magic? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
JohnIJ
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of JohnIJ
I'm 50 years and have been a collector of magic books for a couple of years, loving card magic. In the past I never give myself the opportunity or time to start practising magic.

My son (16 years) joined a magic club several years ago and everytime I see him performing card magic it looks so easy.

When I try myself it feels so unnatural taking the deck of cards into dealers grip an trying to permform eg a DL dealers.

Does it just takes a lot of practice, or am I just to old to learn magic Smile?
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
One is never to old. It is natural for new things to feel unnatural when learning and practicing. Perhaps this will open up a new communication avenue with you and your son, sharing a common interest with him teaching his ol'man some things.
Magic Pierre
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Magic Pierre
I picked it up again last summer at age 54. It'll come. Spend some time every day with a deck in your hands, or a coin, practicing sleights until they become second nature. It's also a really good way to build new neural connections in your brain, which can have a positive effect preventing dementia.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Too old?? I sure hope not!! I'm older than you and there's still so much more to learn!

Ed
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Although I have been toying with magic since I was 25, I knew very few close up or card tricks until I was 45.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
You are never too old, and, magic will open up new avenues for you. don't be put off just go for it.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Great opportunity to encourage your son and form a bond based on a shared passion that will help span those difficult years.
JustCraig
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of JustCraig
Too old? Never!! - Magic is a great hobby that anyone can get involved in. There are so many genres of magic too that there is bound to be some form of the art you will become obsessed with. It becomes so easy to get lost in a world of wonder, regardless of age!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Someone much older than I am, once told me: "WHEN YOU ARE THROUGH LEARNING, YOU ARE THROUGH!"
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I didn't start performing publicly until
I was in my early forties.
Todd
charlie_d
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of charlie_d
You almost certainly have experience, character and confidence that most younger man lack. Also, you're probably a better liar. Smile
Although your moves might not be as diamond-cutter perfect, your show will be a lot more fun.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Though not magic, I often hear the "I'm too old" rationale from folks all the time with regard to entering graduate school. You may see the parallel here.

My oldest student was beginning her PhD program at 78. Her husband was in a different doctoral program at 80. They were in a race to see who would get theirs first.

She was quite motivated. Though she didn't have *more* struggles than her younger colleagues, she had *different* struggles and challenges to overcome. Yes, she worked harder than her colleagues did also. This wasn't because she had to in order to succeed at all, but to succeed at the level that she desired. I spoke with her once about the loads of extra work she was putting in:

"You know, you could take it easy for a term or two. You'll finish along with the rest of your cohort without cramming so many classes in to a single term."

"Oh...my husband can win that silly race as far as I'm concerned. I'm racing death. That's my true opponent!"

I left for a different university before she graduated, but I hear that she did so just a bit before her husband. As far as I know, she's still alive.

-Tom
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Don't be afraid to try other kinds of magic. You don't just have to do card magic.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I'm in my 60's. There are many different ways to do the DL. Research and practice until you find one that works for you.

Jim
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Never too old. There is more to magic than card magic. Even a 16 year old has trouble with grips,lifts, etc. at first. We all need practice.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
I am 70. I've puttered for maybe 10 years but only been serious for about 2. I'm sure I could learn card, coin, linking rings and other tricks that require many hours of practice. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren%C3%A9_Lavand) If I'm lucky, I have 20 years. Spending many, many hours alone, practicing isn't how I spend them. So I mostly do self-working or semi-self-working tricks.
What matters is the performance. I know technically brilliant magicians who are boring to watch because then don't have performance skills.
JohnIJ
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of JohnIJ
Thanks for your answers and support. I think it indeed take pratice and for some sleights it take some more practice or a lot of practice. So I lets stop only reading about magic and start practicing.

Fore sure the share hobby between my son and me strongers the bond, it's a lot of fun to visit conventions or magic shops.
HerbS
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of HerbS
I think it is never too late. I started music as an adult and also returned to magic just a few years ago and finally got serious about it in the deep way I wish I had as a kid (I'm 52). However if you are into card magic, check out tricks by Nick Trost. He came up with hard-hitting stuff that is not too technically difficult. For example, I think that "intuition" in the book "the Card Magic of Nick Trost, is great.
Big Sam
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
164 Posts

Profile of Big Sam
People have covered the "you're never too old" angle, so let me add a different twist. Years ago I had medical issues that left me with tremors in my hands and severe arthritis. One of the things prescribed was daily finger exercises. They seemed kinda boring, so I returned to magic. A few years of daily practice shuffling, cutting, and basic flourishing had made a significant difference. Also, the process of focus and problem-solving is an important habit to fight off age-related memory issues.

So, you're never too old for magic and magic can keep you young.

Sam
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Why don't you google Rene Lavand and then see if you want to reconsider that question.

Why don't you google John Calvert and then see if you want to reconsider that question.

Why don't you google Juan Tamariz and then see if you want to reconsider that question.

etc.etc.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Too old to learn magic? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL