The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » If people are allowed to carry guns for protection, why not knives? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
The best knife instructors in the world (and I'm pretty sure Pakar would be up there on a list) usually state that if you get in a knife fight with someone else who knows what they're doing you're both going to get cut. The idea is to be the one who gets cut less and in less important places. I wouldn't argue knives with Pakar, I'd ask for tips (no pun intended).
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Regarding the OP- we can carry knives here (in WA) but over a certain length they can't be concealed. I always forget but I think it's a 4" blade. So if you have a 6" blade you have to wear the knife on your belt. I always have two Leatherman's on me Smile
I'm also a big fan of these... pasta making tools: http://l.yimg.com/ck/image/A7916/791627/300_791627.jpg
~Will Rogers
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2013-10-10 12:16, critter wrote:
Regarding the OP- we can carry knives here (in WA) but over a certain length they can't be concealed. I always forget but I think it's a 4" blade. So if you have a 6" blade you have to wear the knife on your belt.

Pretty much how it is here, although the law varies in certain cities and towns throughout the state. I'm pretty sure that if you have a CCW permit you can carry certain knives concealed that you wouldn't otherwise be allowed to.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I put my Swiss Army knife in my dresser drawer after 911 because it became a problem getting through metal detectors that I did not need.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
California knife laws vary from county to county, but, in general, it's okay to carry a folding blade concealed (but not a switchblade or similar weapon.) It's illegal to carry a dagger or dirk (or other fixed blade weapon) concealed*, but you can literally strap a katana or broadsword in a sheath across your back, walk down the street, and not be in violation of the law.**

As for other weapons, nunchak may only be carried by licensed instructors or students on the way to class, and I believe they require a permit. Blades on chains (kusari-gama) are illegal to even own unless you're a licensed collector. Same for shurikens, asps (weighted extendable batons)***, and similar items.

Schools and federal buildings have different restrictions, and private businesses can enforce their own policy as well. So, carrying a knife in general is a hassle if you want to go anywhere except your own front yard.

---
* This includes cane swords and other concealed blades.
** However, it may be difficult to actually convince a police officer of this, since many don't know all the details of the related penal codes. Also, everyone will look at you funny because, a) you'll be perceived as a potential slasher horror movie villian or b) "What, you own a sword? Only dorks buy swords."
*** Law enforcement officers are exempted from this restriction.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
When I was doing Ren Faires we had choreographed fights with live steel. In those days I carried swords on the city bus fairly regularly with a transfer downtown and was rarely questioned about it. The only time I was asked about my sword by a police officer I just said "it's a costume piece" and it was fine.
~Will Rogers
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-10-10 12:12, critter wrote:
The best knife instructors in the world (and I'm pretty sure Pakar would be up there on a list) usually state that if you get in a knife fight with someone else who knows what they're doing you're both going to get cut. The idea is to be the one who gets cut less and in less important places. I wouldn't argue knives with Pakar, I'd ask for tips (no pun intended).

Thanks for the vote of confidence bro... Smile

I've done a fair bit of training in the Silat, Kali, JKD and freestyle knife fighting systems but...

The more you know, the more you find out you don't. Smile

Anyone going ape **** with a knife intent on killing others usually gets his point across, literally. Both going ape **** on each other usually results in mutual kills. I'm a small guy but I routinely score 'killshots' on bigger guys in sparring. If I had the element of ambush/surprise, it would be so much worse. I'm no expert really but you don't need to be with a sharp blade. (In case you're wondering, I always train with mock blades, of course. Smile )

My advice... Well, I always suggest getting distance and a wall betwen you and the attacker. Yup, I mean run to where it is safe. It's not a Steven Seagal movie. If not possible, get distance then a stronger weapon if available. Like a gun, really, yes. If still not possible, go ape ****. The martial arts training I recommend is so that your ape **** will overcome his ape ****. We are primates anyway, thus the chimpanzee reference. Smile

It is a great equalizer, the knife. Check out the Tueller Drill everyone. Thank me later.

Thanks again critter. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
Regarding the OP- we can carry knives here (in WA) but over a certain length they can't be concealed. I always forget but I think it's a 4" blade. So if you have a 6" blade you have to wear the knife on your belt. I always have two Leatherman's on me Smile
I'm also a big fan of these... pasta making tools: http://l.yimg.com/ck/image/A7916/791627/300_791627.jpg

Nice... Smile
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-10-10 12:25, Marlin1894 wrote:
Quote:
Regarding the OP- we can carry knives here (in WA) but over a certain length they can't be concealed. I always forget but I think it's a 4" blade. So if you have a 6" blade you have to wear the knife on your belt.

Pretty much how it is here, although the law varies in certain cities and towns throughout the state. I'm pretty sure that if you have a CCW permit you can carry certain knives concealed that you wouldn't otherwise be allowed to.

That's really good to know. Smile
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-10-10 12:52, EsnRedshirt wrote:
California knife laws vary from county to county, but, in general, it's okay to carry a folding blade concealed (but not a switchblade or similar weapon.) It's illegal to carry a dagger or dirk (or other fixed blade weapon) concealed*, but you can literally strap a katana or broadsword in a sheath across your back, walk down the street, and not be in violation of the law.**

As for other weapons, nunchak may only be carried by licensed instructors or students on the way to class, and I believe they require a permit. Blades on chains (kusari-gama) are illegal to even own unless you're a licensed collector. Same for shurikens, asps (weighted extendable batons)***, and similar items.

Schools and federal buildings have different restrictions, and private businesses can enforce their own policy as well. So, carrying a knife in general is a hassle if you want to go anywhere except your own front yard.

---
* This includes cane swords and other concealed blades.
** However, it may be difficult to actually convince a police officer of this, since many don't know all the details of the related penal codes. Also, everyone will look at you funny because, a) you'll be perceived as a potential slasher horror movie villian or b) "What, you own a sword? Only dorks buy swords."
*** Law enforcement officers are exempted from this restriction.

Thanks for the info... Smile
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-10-10 13:45, critter wrote:
When I was doing Ren Faires we had choreographed fights with live steel. In those days I carried swords on the city bus fairly regularly with a transfer downtown and was rarely questioned about it. The only time I was asked about my sword by a police officer I just said "it's a costume piece" and it was fine.

You must've felt like Connor Macleod, I reckon. Smile

There can be only one!
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
I wasn't aware that Pakar was a knife combat expert. I've got some experience there too, although I am not an expert. My view, with a knife, is to feint to the throat, and then go for the throat; the same as with an open palm. In terms of taking a knife off someone, I would want to move very fast indeed. What say you, Pakar?
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1672 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Carrying a knife is a serious crime in most states. The three inch rule which can be interpreted to mean less than 3" only applies to spring backed pocket knives the common Buck lock is illegal most places, regardless of length, along with most other forms of folding knives. These laws are rarely enforced, but if they want you they will defend them vigorously in court.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2013-10-10 14:47, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-10-10 13:45, critter wrote:

You must've felt like Connor Macleod, I reckon. Smile

There can be only one!

One of the guys who trained our fight directors was also a choreographer on the Highlander TV show Smile
~Will Rogers
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
817 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-10-10 10:31, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-10-10 09:56, acesover wrote:
Here we go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzcOCyHDqc

Ha, ha and he is no coward. Smile

That actually is the best way to deal with it.

If you have the gun and the distance. Google The Tueller Drill. Smile

Very familiar with The Tueller Drill. That information on response time will surprise a lot of people. The Thunder Ranch has some great info on The Tueller Drill, along with some great drills for helping response time.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-10-10 18:51, tomsk192 wrote:
I wasn't aware that Pakar was a knife combat expert. I've got some experience there too, although I am not an expert. My view, with a knife, is to feint to the throat, and then go for the throat; the same as with an open palm. In terms of taking a knife off someone, I would want to move very fast indeed. What say you, Pakar?

First off, I'm no knife combat expert. To be an expert in that subject matter, one would have had to go through a real knife/edged weapon altercation. Something that I do my darnest to avoid anytime soon. Smile

As for techniques, it really depends on the given situation.

It is often supposed that if someone wanted to murder you with a knife, they would do so by surprise. They more often than not stab you in the back while you're preoccupied with something else. Look at CCTV footage of prison shankings, that's how hadcore killers do it. Of course situations change, but awareness of your surrounding environment is paramount. Now on to how to defend from knife attacks...

The theory is if they show the knife, it is likely for intimidation to force you to give something they want. Here's the deal with this situation, at least for me, "Is it worth dying for?' If it is, then fight for your life. Certainly your children and your loved ones life and well being ranks high. Also, duty, if you are from the armed forces. However, the reasons you would die for anything is totally yours. If you feel you have to fight, fight with all your heart as a person holding a knife to you can kill you even by accident let alone intentionally.

The cliched Hollywood-type 'mugging in the back alleys' isn't always what happens. For that, I suggest not walking in back alleys. Smile Sounds like I'm kidding, but I'm not really...

As for actual physical techniques, it depends also on the given circumstances. However, since this isn't a contest, guile is paramount. Cheat. A good tactic is to first ask a question to your would be attacker. Any question will do. As he is trying to think to answer, attack him with YOUR BEST MOVE. This will give you half a second window on the attacker. But use what move? I don't know your training, but if you're a boxer, it would most probably be the punching that you've put many hours to test in the ring. If a Taekwando athlete, most probably your kicks. If a Wing Chun artist, your eye jab. If a BJJ artist... and so on and so forth. Don't do anything new to you. Keep it simple yet very effective, thus my asking you to do YOUR BEST MOVE. Certainly, going for the eyes, throat, groin, kneecaps would yield better results than punching him in the shoulders in order to stop him.

If you don't have one best move yet, pick a Martial Art or combat sport that you like and train in it. Preferably one with some kind of force on force training or at least sparring, so that you get used to the adrenaline dump you will experience.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Great advice, Pakar.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-10-11 03:05, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Great advice, Pakar.

Thanks Lobo... Smile
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-10-10 23:36, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-10-10 10:31, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-10-10 09:56, acesover wrote:
Here we go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzcOCyHDqc

Ha, ha and he is no coward. Smile

That actually is the best way to deal with it.

If you have the gun and the distance. Google The Tueller Drill. Smile

Very familiar with The Tueller Drill. That information on response time will surprise a lot of people. The Thunder Ranch has some great info on The Tueller Drill, along with some great drills for helping response time.

Thanks for the info. Smile
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-10-10 19:00, ringmaster wrote:
Carrying a knife is a serious crime in most states. The three inch rule which can be interpreted to mean less than 3" only applies to spring backed pocket knives the common Buck lock is illegal most places, regardless of length, along with most other forms of folding knives. These laws are rarely enforced, but if they want you they will defend them vigorously in court.

I know someone in jail now for carrying a knife. His only offence was having it on his person.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » If people are allowed to carry guns for protection, why not knives? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL