The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » When was the last time you changed your mind . . . (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
. . . based on discussions here, and what was it about?

All the debating, arguing, and "discussing" that goes on here (and pretty much anywhere online) is usually little more than people banging their heads against each other.
I thought it would be worthwhile to talk about when, if ever, you have changed your mind, and on what?

Perhaps even more specifically, why? What was it that lead you to change your mind?

I have had several significantly mind changing (not altering) experiences, though largely NOT online. Well, I guess technically "online," just not usually through online discussions.
That's not to say I haven't been influenced along the way by such discussions, nor that I haven't been given plenty to think about, nor that online discussions are useless.

Similar to most public discussions, they are not for the benefit of the person you're engaging with so much as they are for the observers.
You don't usually see people changing views in public debates, but with the views of those who watch/listen to them, you are much more likely to find people changing their views.

So, what have been your experiences here? Or perhaps in other online forums, Facebook, Twitter, blog comment posts, etc. What are your web 2.0 mind changing experiences?
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4765 Posts

Profile of landmark
Very good question. When I get home to a real computer, I'll answer.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20029 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
When I clicked on and responded to this thread.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2013-10-10 19:14, Dannydoyle wrote:
When I clicked on and responded to this thread.

Lol, Smile
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I've certainly learned a lot by following links and searching for related material. No 180s on major issues, but many with regard to facts.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4765 Posts

Profile of landmark
I'd say two major issues I've changed my mind about somewhat because of comments in NVMS:

1) Gun Control. My previous position was that guns should be heavily regulated all around the country. My present position is that different localities have very different needs and expectations, and that therefore gun regulation should be up to localities--I'm not sure whether it should be state or city--to impose the regulations they wish or do not wish. I guess if you're a gun guy that might not seem like a major shift to you, but in my mind it is. I still think it's crazy to allow guns in bars and churches, but I think some localities may be comfortable with that, crazy as that seems to me. I don't, however, think I will ever be okay with guns in schools except for Safety Officers, and even then, I think it's a miserable idea.

2) Perhaps more important than gun control, the use of the possessive "s." To me, a construction like "Dickens's works" is an abomination and "Dickens' works" is much preferable, but I have to concede this one, and I have changed my usage for the most part to the former.

Aside from NVMS, I would say my views have become more radical with each passing year, and I only regret that I wasn't more politically active when I was younger. This comes with the realization that change comes from ordinary people stumbling along doing whatever they can to change things, and that there are a lot of like-minded people out there just looking for company.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I agree with landmark as to his views on guns. I, too, have come to the same perspective.

And while I admit it only begrudgingly, I will concede that landmark has caused me to re-evaluate my opinion on Snowden. I still don't quite consider him a "hero" but I do believe he did what he believed to be right.

And I change my mind about Danny nearly every day, depending on whether or not we agreed in our most recent exchanges. Smile (Just joking, Danny. You know I have nothing but respect for a fellow showman.)
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4765 Posts

Profile of landmark
Hey Bob, I'll take what I can! One of our rare disagreements Smile
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Jesus, get a room. Smile
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
"Dicken's works."

So does mine. Smile

Though not as well as it used too.

Bazinga!
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
I've been online since the mid-80's, but have only read NVMS (and for that matter, the Magic Café) for a few years.

I don't know if I've ever changed my mind about anything fundamental based on what I've read in an online forum here or elsewhere. But certainly what I read in online forums influences yet-to-be-formed opinions. Maybe it's just a semantic distinction, but I feel like I'm very very slow to form beliefs in the first place, and perhaps consequently I'm very very slow to change them. (At least, absent a significant new fact.)

That said, I've had my own fundamental misunderstandings revealed and corrected in online forums. But those tend to be about factual matters, not opinions. (Of course, to the extent I have opinions based on those factual matters, then obviously the opinions may change as well.)
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I didn't like my daughters boyfriend when I first met him, but I changed my mind about him. I've never changed my mind when it came to my fundamental beliefs.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
After my wife left town I decided that a permanent woman was not necessary but after I met wife number two she changed my mind.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2013-10-11 11:47, Slide wrote:
I didn't like my daughters boyfriend when I first met him, but I changed my mind about him. I've never changed my mind when it came to my fundamental beliefs.

Have your fundamental beliefs NEVER changed/evolved over time?

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2013-10-11 11:24, MobilityBundle wrote:
I've been online since the mid-80's, but have only read NVMS (and for that matter, the Magic Café) for a few years.

I don't know if I've ever changed my mind about anything fundamental based on what I've read in an online forum here or elsewhere. But certainly what I read in online forums influences yet-to-be-formed opinions. Maybe it's just a semantic distinction, but I feel like I'm very very slow to form beliefs in the first place, and perhaps consequently I'm very very slow to change them. (At least, absent a significant new fact.)

That said, I've had my own fundamental misunderstandings revealed and corrected in online forums. But those tend to be about factual matters, not opinions. (Of course, to the extent I have opinions based on those factual matters, then obviously the opinions may change as well.)

That's probably a reasonable way to be.

Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"have your fundamental beliefs NEVER changed/evolved over time"

No. What I believe today is what I have always believed.

I'm a life long liberal democrat and proud of everything that represents. My parents and only sibling are/were republicans. The fundamental right of everyone being treated fairly and equally, the strong belief in personal freedom and creativity, these are things I've have always believed and always based my life principles on.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-10-10 20:08, landmark wrote:
I'd say two major issues I've changed my mind about somewhat because of comments in NVMS:

2) Perhaps more important than gun control, the use of the possessive "s." To me, a construction like "Dickens's works" is an abomination and "Dickens' works" is much preferable, but I have to concede this one, and I have changed my usage for the most part to the former.

I still feel kinda bad about my role in that.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4765 Posts

Profile of landmark
You get full credit for that one Lobo. I hope you're happy, because I'm not.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I think some of it was Magnus's fault.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
It might have been Magnus's fault, but certainly not Jesus'.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » When was the last time you changed your mind . . . (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL