The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Vanishing Pen (All Gimmicks included) by SansMinds (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Quote:
On 2013-12-16 16:15, oldspin wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-10-26 21:22, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Really, the instructions or DVD did not tell you how to do the smash vanish. I can't believe that. Okay, just slant your hands, don't slam the pen at a 90 degree angle.

This is not a new trick, it was made and sold in the 1960's. Back before Bic Pen was the Lindy Pen. A long stick like pen that was very popular back then, no clicker or retractable ink barrel.

I can't remember the creator, but Tannen's Magic sold it in their catalog. Same gimmick as this current model. Here the pen is dropped in a small newspaper cone, and then crumbled up. This same guy made a long Vanishing Cigarette Holder as well.

I bought mine from Tannen’s in the 70’s. The real convincer in the Tannen version was that after you dropped the pen into the paper cone and dramatically crushed it, you can then slowly open up the newspaper to slowly show both sides empty before scrunching it up again and throwing it away. To me it’s the opening up and showing of the paper that absolutely sells the vanish. And I’ve found that they’ve NEVER gone into the trash can to retrieve and examine the paper. You can THEN show the pen back in your pocket or wherever. However, back then I preferred to just show it completely gone.

I like that convincer;

a proper DVD would have covered it

but gotta get the effect to market quickly!
the trailer's more important!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4509 Posts

Profile of videoman
I'm curious if the Tannen's version in the '70's used the exact same method.
Have you folks owned both or is there an assumption that it's the exact same gimmick?
Very well may be the same and I'm not claiming it isn't, just want to be sure we comparing apples to apples here.
I own the Sansmind version and it would seem to be rather difficult to show the paper cleanly at the end, without it looking too fiddly.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1057 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Why not have an extra crumpled up paper? Smile
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
asmayly
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
296 Posts

Profile of asmayly
I don't want to sound negative, since I haven't purchased this and simply guessing right now about how the effect would work with a live audience, but doesn't there seem to be tremendous heat on the crumpled paper, plastic bag, etc.
It seems like it would be dissatisfying somehow to an audience that the one thing that could contain the pen is not allowed to be shown and then thrown in the trash(?), or kept in the hand(?) or put in your pocket(?)
2012multimagic
View Profile
Loyal user
241 Posts

Profile of 2012multimagic
Quote:
On 2013-12-18 15:58, asmayly wrote:
I don't want to sound negative, since I haven't purchased this and simply guessing right now about how the effect would work with a live audience, but doesn't there seem to be tremendous heat on the crumpled paper, plastic bag, etc.
It seems like it would be dissatisfying somehow to an audience that the one thing that could contain the pen is not allowed to be shown and then thrown in the trash(?), or kept in the hand(?) or put in your pocket(?)

I’ve been performing this a long time now... and not once has any heat been on the napkin etc... the see thru bag idea from Rik Lax brilliant...
hey guys !!!... looking forward to joining this community.. some WILL hate me.. some MAY love me ... enjoy !!!...

www.youtube.com/2012multimagic
www.twitter.com/2014multumagic
www.instagram.com/illusions2015
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Quote:

in the main routine, you have an extra ungimmicked pen in your back pocket;
it's hanging out of the pocket

so after the vanish, you turn and show the vanished pen has gone into your pocket;
that takes the heat off the napkin. everyone wants to see the pen
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 18:06, EZrhythm wrote:
Why not have an extra crumpled up paper? Smile

yeah, they say on the DVD you can do a switch;
while people are focused on the ungimmicked pen
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Quote:
On 2013-12-18 16:01, 2012multimagic wrote:
Quote:

I’ve been performing this a long time now... and not once has any heat been on the napkin etc... the see thru bag idea from Rik Lax brilliant...

so you use a see thru bag and then after the vanish,
cover the now-small pen with your hand; while showing the bag empty

that is brilliant
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 16:43, videoman wrote:
Have you folks owned both or is there an assumption that it's the exact same gimmick?
Very well may be the same and I'm not claiming it isn't, just want to be sure we comparing apples to apples here.
I own the Sansmind version and it would seem to be rather difficult to show the paper cleanly at the end, without it looking too fiddly.

same method

you're showing both sides of the napkin/paper while concealing the pen;
now that the pen is very very small, this is easy

you palm the pen and crush the paper again, discarding it

it's best to use a larger napkin or paper
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4509 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On 2013-12-18 17:19, sohaib wrote:
Quote:

same method

Haven't tried it yet, but just visualizing what you described, it doesn't seem to me to be easy as you make it sound.
First, the pen isn't really all that small. Plus, it has memory so it is ready to spring to life when you don't want it to if you're not very careful.
Second, if performed as in the Sansmind demo (which looks really good IMO) the pen and paper end up pretty intertwined. It would seem very fiddly to try and secretly extract the pen to show the paper empty at a moment when a lot of heat is on your hands.
But I'm not sure the opening up the paper to show it empty really adds that much anyway, and it definitely slows things down. The trick has a good flow when you crumple and immediately show the pen in your back pocket or wherever and you can use that moment to switch the crumpled paper if you like. Then you end totally clean.

As far as using a larger paper or napkin, I really like the look of a small paper which leaves the ends of the pen protruding. This definitely makes it scarier for the specs too, for a moment they think you may have impaled your hand on the pen. This quick build-up of tension and then immediate release really helps make this trick more than the sum of it's parts I think.

Also like Rick's plastic bag idea too, will have to try that.
Which brings up my biggest problem with the effect...using a pen with a napkin or plastic bag seems out of place to me. I have tried using a small sheet of writing paper but wasn't too pleased with the look of that. Oh well, I will keep experimenting. I don't want to overthink things, but at the same time, I usually do this effect as an extra moment of magic in the middle of another effect in which I actually need to use a pen. So carrying pens in a plastic bag or then bringing out a napkin just doesn't feel right.

But horses for courses, just stating my opinion, whatever works for you.
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Tennessee
698 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 08:03, sohaib wrote:
Quote:

You may always pick it up from Dave Powell for $10 sans the DVD.

now that's a fair price, will order today

"OVER PRICED"…. Just my opinion. I bought this on a whim and wrongly assumed that they would offer some reasonable methods of being able to end clean…..I didn't find that to be the case. While its a good gimmick, well made etc. I find $30 to be WAY TOO MUCH. I didn't find the DVD to really add much if anything to the effect other than to give reason to charge more. That kind of thing bugs me. In my opinion, if they didn't have more to add, then they should have simply sold the gimmicks at a fair price and let us figure out the rest…since that's what we are really doing anyway. I will spend a little more time & investigation before ordering items from these folks. If Dave Powell can sell for $10 and make a profit…then $30 just seems greedy. Then again, I could be wrong…. Smile

I hope all have a Merry Christmas & Wonderful New Year!

bk
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3746 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Have to agree completely. SansMinds has quickly made it to my "do not buy from" list
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4509 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On 2013-12-22 12:08, bobbyk wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 08:03, sohaib wrote:
Quote:

You may always pick it up from Dave Powell for $10 sans the DVD.

now that's a fair price, will order today

"OVER PRICED"…. Just my opinion. I bought this on a whim and wrongly assumed that they would offer some reasonable methods of being able to end clean…..I didn't find that to be the case. While its a good gimmick, well made etc. I find $30 to be WAY TOO MUCH. I didn't find the DVD to really add much if anything to the effect other than to give reason to charge more. That kind of thing bugs me. In my opinion, if they didn't have more to add, then they should have simply sold the gimmicks at a fair price and let us figure out the rest…since that's what we are really doing anyway. I will spend a little more time & investigation before ordering items from these folks. If Dave Powell can sell for $10 and make a profit…then $30 just seems greedy. Then again, I could be wrong…. Smile

I hope all have a Merry Christmas & Wonderful New Year!

bk

Although I like the trick itself I would agree with those comments as well.

My problem with it is that it doesn't really fit into anything else I do in an organic and natural way, and I'm not crazy about performing it as a "stand-alone" effect. To me it's best purpose is as a way of adding another nice moment of magic as part of a larger routine.
Now, if someone were to come out with a Sharpie version, that I could really find uses for.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1057 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Why not go to vanish your Sharpie and instead it changes to the pen. Then you attempt to vanish the pen but it won't go. Ends up behind your ear etc. Then you have an idea to place it in the baggie of paper. Whallah, pen is gone!
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3700 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Is the pen sold by Dave Powell is of the very same quality as the pn sold by Sansmind? I thought I read in the description of ad for the Sansmind version that this particular pen and materials used were researched and developed over a three year period of time. Am I mistaken?
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Tennessee
698 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
[quote]On 2013-12-22 17:49, magicinsight wrote:
Is the pen sold by Dave Powell is of the very same quality as the pn sold by Sansmind? I thought I read in the description of ad for the Sansmind version that this particular pen and materials used were researched and developed over a three year period of time. Am I mistaken?
[/
I can't say for sure. I read that it was the EXACT same pen. Perhaps someone who has ordered one from Dave could speak to that. This is a well made gimmick, Just about $20 over priced in my opinion.
oldspin
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of oldspin
Quote:
On 2013-12-18 17:19, sohaib wrote:
Quote:

same method

I have no idea whether Tannen still sell their version and didn’t want to spill the secret of how you can crush the newspaper up and then open it and show it cleanly all around. You don’t hide the pen behind the paper or your hand or palming or anything like that. Remember, you’re doing it close up, informal, and surrounded. But the pen is cleanly shown to be gone. I gave a hint when I said nobody has ever gone into the waste basket to retrieve the crumpled up newspaper. It uses a very, very old principle from something almost for sure that is in Tarbell or Hoffman or both. With that I’m sure you now know what it is.

The reason I find it extremely fooling is that after you crumble up the paper, they KNOW it (whatever “it” is) is still in there. And you show that you know what they are thinking (“Yeah, I know what you’re thinking.”) when after a pause you slowly open up the newspaper to show that it really IS gone. That is why they never go to the waste basket where I then throw the re-crumpled up newspaper because they are so convinced it is gone. (Obviously, do I have to tell you that I have to wait until everyone is gone before I retrieve it?)

By the way, Tannen also sold a pencil version by the same person that made the pen version. But I remember the fake pencil just didn’t look as convincing and so I never used it. Unfortunately, that was so long ago that I don’t know whether I still have either version. Maybe someone with an old 1970’s Tannen catalog can check and see who it was that put it out and whether it’s still available from Tannen.

Tannen's version was a great trick that I had a lot of fun with.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3700 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
[quote]On 2013-12-23 12:42, bobbyk wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-22 17:49, magicinsight wrote:
[/
I can't say for sure. I read that it was the EXACT same pen. Perhaps someone who has ordered one from Dave could speak to that. This is a well made gimmick, Just about $20 over priced in my opinion.

I think the one sold by Dave Powell is a pen with a black cap and the one by Sansmind is with a blue cap. Not that it makes a difference with the color but just wondering if it is from the same manufacturer using the exact same materials.
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Tennessee
698 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
[quote]On 2013-12-23 14:17, magicinsight wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-23 12:42, bobbyk wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-22 17:49, magicinsight wrote:
[/

I think the one sold by Dave Powell is a pen with a black cap and the one by Sansmind is with a blue cap. Not that it makes a difference with the color but just wondering if it is from the same manufacturer using the exact same materials.

I would try to contact Dave. Don't know if he's on the Café but would assume so.

Merry Christmas!
oldspin
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of oldspin
I did a Café search and found it: Jimmy Herpick's Pixie Pen. You vanish the pen in a piece of newspaper. The piece of newspaper doesn't have to be large: roughly 7 or 8 inches.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Vanishing Pen (All Gimmicks included) by SansMinds (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL