The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Giant Flea?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Quote:
What I was wondering about, is why they restricted themselves to a four legged creature that moves forward and backward. Why not a creature that can move as easily in any direction?

You have to start somewhere. As Rockwall notes, the object is to develop a vehicle that can navigate rough terrain. If you look for some of the other robots the group has produced, they seem to be able to do that.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-10-14 17:40, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-10-11 08:25, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Wouldn't really be a waste, as this was designed to find a non-wheeled propelled vehicle to navigate non-conventional terrain like rocky mountains and the woods. Of course the first agenda is military applications but I can see how this will benefit many in the future. Especially for the disabled as a replacement to guide dogs, with Internet connection and easier upkeep.

And a dang cool 'bike' with legs! Smile

Now, if only they can make it not be so dang ugly! Smile

I can't tell its head from its arse! Smile

If it's designed to navigate non-conventional terrain like rocky mountains and the woods, I would have liked to see it running on something other than a road!

Baby steps they call it... Smile

Also, there is a lot of potential for the entertainment industry here.

Android animals. Now that's a thought there. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2013-10-14 17:40, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-10-11 08:25, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Wouldn't really be a waste, as this was designed to find a non-wheeled propelled vehicle to navigate non-conventional terrain like rocky mountains and the woods. Of course the first agenda is military applications but I can see how this will benefit many in the future. Especially for the disabled as a replacement to guide dogs, with Internet connection and easier upkeep.

And a dang cool 'bike' with legs! Smile

Now, if only they can make it not be so dang ugly! Smile

I can't tell its head from its arse! Smile

If it's designed to navigate non-conventional terrain like rocky mountains and the woods, I would have liked to see it running on something other than a road!

There's video out there of an earlier version of this (still tied to cables) bouncing around a wooded hillside.
I noticed they made the cordless version deisel-powered, which makes it pretty loud. Not necessarily good for being a pack mule, since it'd pinpoint the location of your unit for the enemy. Unless you use it as a decoy...
Hmm, if they make it quieter, they could just mount a camera, a targetting laser, and maybe a machine gun and they've got an early version of a Mechwarrior scout mech like a Locust. It could lase targets to assist drones.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Giant Flea?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL