The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Star lanuage vs astrolingua (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
playzure
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of playzure
I just got star language and its very well thought out but I wonder how easy it will be to memorize and keep it all in my head permanently. Is astrolinua better and or easier to memorize? Also is astrolingua also purely verbal and impromptu as I heard there is on out and I don't want to use physical outs that I have to produce.

Playzure
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Don't you mean sign language?

Anyway, Sign Language lets you always arrive at the spectators star sign, while Astrolingua mainly brings you to two signs and you have to be slightly equivocal to get the right one.

Sign Language is a lot more 'wordy', while Astrolingua is more 'symbolic' in the way people are told to think about their sign.

None of these things are any harder or easier to remember in my opinion. You should bother to memorize this stuff; it's always useful. You can always have a crib handy for a quick refresh before you start.
7th_Son
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
437 Posts

Profile of 7th_Son
Quote:
On 2003-12-18 02:34, playzure wrote:
I just got star language and its very well thought out but I wonder how easy it will be to memorize and keep it all in my head permanently.

Practice with people you know while speaking on the phone, with the cheat card at hand. Not ideal, but you'll learn it really quickly.

Once you've done it several times with people on the phone, you'll remember it.
"Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!" - Groucho Marx
sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
530 Posts

Profile of sludge
I consider Sign Language to be leaps ahead of Astrolingua.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
I don't have Astrolinga, but Sign Language is strongly recommended!!
Doug Dyment has done superb work on this.

Sven
Axman
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of Axman
Doug's version is considered the State of the art for this effect.
PSI-kick
View Profile
New user
Brigadoon, UK
12 Posts

Profile of PSI-kick
I saw recently a manuscript which is supposedly a working companion for these 'What's your sign?' methods.

Has anyone heard anything about it?

I believe it is called Zodiac Words or Zodiac Keys, something like that....
Only one man can see what is before him...
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
It is fantastic but unfortunately it is sold out. I got the last copy. Sorry.

Bill
Crossroads Mystic
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
498 Posts

Profile of Crossroads Mystic
Alain Nu has a nice version called Zodiattack. It’s in Mystery School (p.351) or he sells it by itself at his lectures.
...from whose bourne,

no traveler returns...

Formerly Mr.Skin

facebook.com/CrossroadsMystic
PSI-kick
View Profile
New user
Brigadoon, UK
12 Posts

Profile of PSI-kick
Bill,

Can you tell me more about this product?

Many thanks

PSImon

PS If it is sold out I'd be interested in picking up a 2nd hand copy if anyone wishes to sell.... If it is a good product.
Only one man can see what is before him...
Neal Roter
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of Neal Roter
There are other version in print for guessing soneone's Zodiac sign
Kurts and Waters comes to mind.
Bob Farmer was the first to think of the general notion.
sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
530 Posts

Profile of sludge
Quote:
Bob Farmer was the first to think of the general notion.

I thought it was Ray Grismer (regardless of what it says in Mind, Myth & Magick) ?

Can someone please clarify ?

Besides, Waters, Jakutsch, Nu, Rayot, Marc Paul & Doug Dyments work on this, can anyone provide specific sources for study of this effect?

I am particularly seeking references to (but not exclusively) that of Ray Grismer, Phil Goldstein, Bob Farmer, Stewart James, Paul Ingram and Sam Schwartz.

Oh and a list of other effects/sources for branching anagrams would be nice too...
Glyn Coy
View Profile
New user
UK
38 Posts

Profile of Glyn Coy
PSI-Kick, you are thinking of a manuscript called Zodiac Key Words. Only 50 were printed and all have been sold.
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Elite user
Magic Forest
428 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
Guilty! I started the progressive anagram/astrological sign craze. Ray Grismer did not.
McCritical
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of McCritical
Quote:
On 2004-01-06 18:25, sludge wrote:
[I am particularly seeking references to (but not exclusively) that of Ray Grismer, Phil Goldstein, Bob Farmer, Stewart James, Paul Ingram and Sam Schwartz.

Schwartz (along with Karl Fulves) turned the effect into a nice book test, but "The Hidden Force" does require a prop.
knave
View Profile
New user
UK Newcastle
72 Posts

Profile of knave
There are a couple of big errors in Astrolingua.

Cancer is on the wrong branch of the tree for a start. Also one of the qualifying questions for another sign could easily be misinterpreted by the subject leading you to the wrong one.

There are intesting elements in Astrolingua that have definite merit and will give you ideas, but as a fully tried-and-tested routine it comes up short, IMO.

Do yourself a favour and stick with Sign Language.

Cheers.

Dave
sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
530 Posts

Profile of sludge
Thanks, Bob, for the clarification Smile
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
A small subversive thought: are starsigns still that topical?

I mean in the '70's you couldn't move for people asking your "what's your sign", but now, outside of psychic fair and the like...

Now if I could define which football team you supported without writing it down, that would be something wouldn't it? (Hint, hint.)

Doug
MisterE21
View Profile
Elite user
Salt Lake City, UT
426 Posts

Profile of MisterE21
I think, in our artform, signs are still topical. You're talking about something that is extremely personal (their birth date), something that nearly everyone has looked into at least once or twice (reading their horoscope) and something that is classically "psychic" related.

I know where you're coming from, as Astrology seems to have moved to the back burner as far as fortune-telling and constant conversation (being replaced, as far as I can tell, with Tarot which is all the rage 'round here), but I don't think it's anywhere near the "cliché" or "outdated" category. Smile

E
Your EFFECT is only as good as its AFFECT.
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Elite user
Magic Forest
428 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
History of "What's My Sign?

By Bob Farmer

In January of 1986, I came up with an effect called, “Fate Accompli”. It had several different elements, one of which was the use of a progressive anagram to determine a spectator’s astrological sign. I sent this off to Max Maven, and he mentioned it to T. A. Waters.

T.A. published his version, “Signse” in New Invocation, No. 39, June 1987 (later republished in MIND, MYTH AND MAGIC (pp. 460-462), crediting me with the original idea.

In a 1987 letter to me, T.A. explained his publication of the idea as follows:

“The reason I put ‘Signse’ into INVOCATION — something I had originally not intended to do — is that one of the people I showed it to was Ray Grismer, sometime more than a year ago. This past January I saw it advertised under his name in the Hades Newsletter. I don’t think Ray intentionally lifted it---just forgot where he had seen it--—but I did want to set the record straight and give credit to you for the inspiration.”

Steve Banachek sent me a very interesting version in 1996 (and posted my e-mail on the origins to the PEA newsgroup).

Incidentally, Alain Nu has a completely different (and very clever) method for nailing the sign. See his “Zodiesque.”

I also invented “Hippity Hoppity Wrabbity Wrabbit Run,” but have never received credit.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Star lanuage vs astrolingua (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL